• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

passports and kids

normmo

DIS Veteran
Hi - just booked Disney for April 2009 when our sons will be 6 and 2. I know that currently you don't need a passport when driving to the states but does anyone know if that is going to change soon? Should I consider getting passports for both of them? My husband and I already have our passports so it would just be the two boys or will a birth certificate suffice for them?
Thanks!
Maureen

We all have passports and bring them on all trips , including day trips to the US.

It's just easier.

Adults will require them by june 2009 and for kids under 18 or 16 cant remember,anyway they will still be able to just use a birth cert.I just went through this whole stressful thing for no reason myself..If you want to read it for yourself and other info go to passport canada or the canadian border services websites, just google ........

one more thing if you arnt going til 2009 and would feel more comfortable,I would just get them ,personally I feel ok with their birth cert,but I also sent away for their long form(certified) whatever suits you best

Hi - just booked Disney for April 2009 when our sons will be 6 and 2. I know that currently you don't need a passport when driving to the states but does anyone know if that is going to change soon? Should I consider getting passports for both of them? My husband and I already have our passports so it would just be the two boys or will a birth certificate suffice for them?
Thanks!
Maureen

Get the passports for them. Passports will be necessary for sea/air AND land at some point in the near future anyway, so you may as well do it now as you have lots of time to have them processed.

Here is the application for a child's passport from Passport Canada's website:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf
(you can fill it out online and print it - just saves you having to handwrite it).

A child's passport is sooo much cheaper than an adult's passport too - it's only $22 for your 2yo and $37 for your 6yo. Your 2yo's passport will only be good for THREE years, while your 6yo's passport will be good for FIVE years (just like your passport).

We got our boys their first passports when they were 18mo and 4.5yo - we always have valid passports for all of us. No worries that way :goodvibes

HTH and have a great day!

I'm holding out....we live on a border town, and cross all the time, and use our birth certificates (and DL for DH and I) We have never had a problem at all, and they keep pushing back the date, and talking about other forms of ID that may be acceptable, so I am saving my money, and waiting to see what happens.

We just received our passport for our 3 month old baby today.

Were ready to travel!!!!

This is from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada site (voyage.gc.ca). :surfweb:

Passports are ALREADY required for Canadians travelling by air to the US. Get your passports and don't get caught in a time crunch by leaving them to the last.

==========================================================

Canadians entering and leaving the U.S. by different modes of transportation must carry documentation appropriate to each mode of transportation. See below for details.

Air Travel

As of January 23, 2007, Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following documents:

A valid Canadian passport; or
A NEXUS card when used at a NEXUS kiosk
This requirement applies to all Canadian citizens, regardless of age, including children. Canadians should obtain the appropriate required documentation before leaving Canada, keep this documentation up to date and carry it with them when travelling.

==========================================================

Actually I checked on the government website and the boys will be okay with their birth certificates because we're driving. They won't need passports until June of 2009 and we're going in April of 2009. Glad to know it's one less thing that I'll have to do!
M

We all have passports and I have staggered them so they are not all expiring at the same time. that way I don't have to fork over a big wad of cash all at once. Renewing is really not that big a deal, especially if you print the form out online and take it to the passport office. by doing the online form you bypass a whole line at the passport office.

You also never know when there may be opportunity to go away and you need your passport to do it! We got a completely unexpected and very last minute (we left the next day) invitation to join someone at their vacation home and we were able to go because we had passports. I don't think it will ever happen again, so I was very pleased we could take the opportunity when it came up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter