Passports and Expiry dates

Jekyllcat

Earning My Ears
We are travelling in the last week of January and my 4-year-old's passport expires in April.

Should I be jumping through the necessary hoops to get his passport renewed early in anticipation of a problem at the border with less than 6 months of validity left on his term? Or can I more or less tick this item off my list of things to worry about?

We are travelling in the last week of January and my 4-year-old's passport expires in April.

Should I be jumping through the necessary hoops to get his passport renewed early in anticipation of a problem at the border with less than 6 months of validity left on his term? Or can I more or less tick this item off my list of things to worry about?

We are traveling in December and our passports all expire in April. I didn't want to risk not being able to go so we just renewed them all a few months early.

Passport validity requirements vary by country. For travel to the US, Canadian passports only need to be valid "until the expected date of departure". http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

So you don't need to bother with the early renewal unless it's going to cause you anxiety.

NB: Technically you have to submit a new application for a child passport, rather than renewal. Renewal of an adult passport is a streamlined process.

ETA: Of course I'm assuming here that you are a) travelling to the US, and b) staying for less than 3 months.

If doing a cruise out of the US, watch as some countries (ports) will require you to have at least 6 months remaining.

FYI: If you live near a passport office, standard renewals should take about two weeks from application to receipt of he new passport.

We usually renew our passports before they get to the last six months but that's because we do international travel and cruising and DH has occasionally had to do international travel for work on relatively short notice. It's not necessary for travel to the US if you're just staying there (i.e., not going onto a cruise). The last time we renewed our passports (we do live near a passport office) we got our new ones in 9 days.

Like others have said, if you are traveling strictly to the US, you should not encounter any problems. If you are traveling to any other countries, I would be on the safe side and renew it. I had to look into this when I was traveling to Phoenix last February and my passport expired in May. As long as the expiry date is after your return to Canada, you will not have an issue. As the story link in the previous post shares, if you are traveling outside of the US and Canada you can have major issues.

As long as your travelling only to the US you shouldn't have a problem. When I went to get mine renewed they voided my old one which still had a few months on it and I was travelling during the two week period that I would be waiting for the new one. ( for work) They told me at the passport office that thats fine that really you are fine for 6 months after it expires... weird how we all get told different stories. I crossed with my passport voided ( by land) and got asked a few more questions and had to explain I was waiting for the new one to arrive and all was fine. Coming home the cnd guards didn't even question it

You still have plenty of time,so why take a chance?Do it.There's no guarantee that they'll let you through.

You still have plenty of time,so why take a chance?Do it.There's no guarantee that they'll let you through.

We just did this, renewed 2 adult passports that were expiring in April and got a new child passport that also was set to expire in April. They don't care that you are renewing earlier than you need to.

Too bad the OP didn't come back and clarify whether they were travelling to the States or elsewhere. If they are going to the States, then an early renewal(new passport for the 4yo) would be at their discretion. There is no "risk" or chances being taken there.

But if they are travelling elsewhere, they'll have to check the expiry requirements for that country, along with any necessary visas etc.

We just renewed our passports, and did have to do them early for our next trip. We walked them into the Passport Office in Whitby last Wednesday and were told to expect them in 10 business days. They arrived today. 10 year expiry this time. It's about time!

We just did this, renewed 2 adult passports that were expiring in April and got a new child passport that also was set to expire in April. They don't care that you are renewing earlier than you need to.

Of course they don't!! They get your money sooner than they should and God forbid they add the unexpired time onto the next one as Other countries do ...

Thanks all. It's really just general laziness that has been stopping me from doing the renewal. Those who have suggested I just man up and do it are offering good advice - I'm sure I'll make the trek down to the local office sometime this month :) All the info on international travel has been a super enlightening side effect of the thread and is all good stuff to keep in mind for down the road when the four-year-old is much older than four ;)

In a way I'm glad I saw this thread, and in a way I'm not :) I'm glad, because when I saw this post, I thought "oh yeah I should check when our passports expire". So I did. I'm NOT glad, because once I checked, I realized they expire next summer. So that means I get a lovely $400 expense added to our next trip :( Oh well, better to be glad, and know our passports are good right? :)

With all the Disney / Universal deals out there, its too bad you can't get governmental coupons or discounts for passports online somewhere ;) That'd be nice.

and this reminds me that I need to renew my kids' UK passports (wife's a Brit, so they've got dual).

and this reminds me that I need to renew my kids' UK passports (wife's a Brit, so they've got dual).

We also have dual with Britain and they along with our Canadian passports all expired this year..8 passports @ 10 year duration ..I needed a bank loan to get them let me tell you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter