• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport Validity

Castaway April

Mouseketeer
I know this info exists here somewhere, but can someone confirm how much passport validity is needed for Caribbean and Bahamas cruises? Looking at the state department website it looks like most Caribbean countries just require it to be valid at entry. We are thinking of going in March and ours expire starting in July with the kids' in October. I just remember someone else saying Disney website gave them an alert at 6 months. I know we don't "need" one, but it's the easiest document for me to bring.

DCL wants 6 months available post cruise.

Yes a passport is valid to its last day and most countries and ports go to that, as you say you can turn up and if its valid you get it. The issue is one or two places want six months, so to be lazy they do a one size fits all and you must have six months so wherever you go they want that.

I know this info exists here somewhere, but can someone confirm how much passport validity is needed for Caribbean and Bahamas cruises? Looking at the state department website it looks like most Caribbean countries just require it to be valid at entry. We are thinking of going in March and ours expire starting in July with the kids' in October. I just remember someone else saying Disney website gave them an alert at 6 months. I know we don't "need" one, but it's the easiest document for me to bring.

In March, I was told by a Costco representative that our US passports needed 6 months on them for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I reported it here, but others said that they had sailed with less than 6 months on their passports with no problem. The online check-in process does not validate your passport in any way. I have put made up passport numbers in for my children while waiting for their passports to arrive before. The online check-in process didn't complain.

I would find it difficult to believe that for the US, you need 6 months. On closed loop cruises, you only need a birth certificate and photo id (for adults) to sail. I can't believe that it would be a problem to have a valid passport. If you are really concerned and you don't want to renew before your cruise, I would just take a copy of your birth certificate as a backup. But, I really think you would be fine as long as your passport doesn't expire before your cruise ends.

What DCL "wants" cannot supersede what the US State department requires for US citizens. If the US State department says "valid at entry" for the Bahamas and Caribbean than that's what you need. The 6 month rule mostly applies to Europe. It is 3 months for Canada. However, as stated, you have time, why not just renew them and then you won't have to worry about them again for a few years.

What DCL "wants" cannot supersede what the US State department requires for US citizens. If the US State department says "valid at entry" for the Bahamas and Caribbean than that's what you need. The 6 month rule mostly applies to Europe. It is 3 months for Canada. However, as stated, you have time, why not just renew them and then you won't have to worry about them again for a few years.
I would agree with this. Unsure about the U.S. procedures, but in Canada it usually takes 1-2 weeks to process and if you're going on a trip and need things expedited you can pay a little more for a 24-48 hour turnaround.

I'm not certain about the "What DCL "wants" cannot supersede what the US State department requires for US citizens" comment. I know that there are some cruise lines (mostly the luxury ones) that do require passports for all itineraries, regardless of actual legal requirements.

That said, for US citizens, sailing in the Caribbean, the passport has to be valid through your return date to the US. That's it. As noted, the 6 months past departure date validity is mostly in Europe. I know for travel in the Schengen countries, for US passports, it has to be valid for 3 months past your planned departure date (but State Department recommends 6 months). Other (non-Schengen) countries, have different requirements. I know the Russian Federation requires 6 months.

Of course, different countries have different requirements, but, since OP is posting from the US, I'm figuring they are asking about US citizens.

Last edited:
I'm not certain about the "What DCL "wants" cannot supersede what the US State department requires for US citizens" comment. I know that there are some cruise lines (mostly the luxury ones) that do require passports for all itineraries, regardless of actual legal requirements.

That said, for US citizens, sailing in the Caribbean, the passport has to be valid through your return date to the US. That's it. As noted, the 6 months past departure date validity is mostly in Europe.

Of course, different countries have different requirements, but, since OP is posting from the US, I'm figuring they are asking about US citizens.

In Europe under " European law" that covers all of the EU, a passport is valid until it's very last day, as it should be, if it's vs,I'd it can be used. Six months validity in Europe as quoted above is incorrect.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html

Some say "6 months is mainly for Europe", but that doesn't mean most of Europe requires it. I haven't done the math on it, so I'm not saying if it's most or not most. But I know that countries that used to require Americans to have 6 months on their passports don't require it anymore, like Italy.

Someone mentioned 3 months for Canada. State Dept and "get you home dot gov" state nothing of the sort. Canada's travel page refers you to State Dept. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a says nothing about 3 months for US citizens either.

And I never saw a 6 month validity, across the board, requirement for our Bahamas DCL trips. Wasn't an issue for us, but I never saw it. So I wouldn't worry about that. Especially if you're a US citizen on a closed loop cruise, where you don't even NEED a passport anyway.

I just remember someone else saying Disney website gave them an alert at 6 months.

Who said it? Was it a specific message, or was it generic? I've never once heard of this in my time here, so I know nothing about if it's a generic thing or for your specific cruise.

In Europe under " European law" that covers all of the EU, a passport is valid until it's very last day, as it should be, if it's vs,I'd it can be used. Six months validity in Europe as quoted above is incorrect.

For American citizens, that six month passport statement is indeed correct.

For US citizens traveling to Europe what they need to be concerned about is whether or not countries are part of the Schengen agreement. The EU as a whole does not have a standard passport requirement for American citizens. For countries that are part of the Schengen agreement, Americans must have a passport is valid for at least 90 days after their departure. This is where that six-month rule sometimes comes into play. Americans are permitted to stay in Schengen agreement countries for 90 days without a visa, your passport with the need to be valid for 90 days after that departure date. So, if you were traveling to France on January 1, and planning to stay for three months, you would need to have a passport that was valid through at least July 1.

Countries that are not part of the Schengen agreement have their own requirements. For example, Americans traveling to the UK only need a passport that is valid for the duration of their stay. Other countries in Europe require longer expiration periods. And, Russia does require a visa for American citizens.

Americans should consult www.travel.state.gov for passport requirements.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, all US citizens. We are not sure if we will be cruising or just be doing the parks. Waiting for a 3 Night GT rate for March 2016. I am hesitant to spend $400 to renew a passport sooner than it needs to be. We likely will not travel internationally again until March 2017. The sooner I renew the sooner the renewed one expires. $400 is a lot to renew if I don't need to. DH expires July 2016, mine August, and kids October 2016. It is possible the post I saw about the DCL website was from someone on a European cruise. I think we will just bring certified birth certificates to be safe.

Here is the reply I got in May when I asked DCL about my husband's passport and Our Bahamian Cruise_

"5/3/15

Dear Deborah,

Thank you for choosing another Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

As long as your Husband's passport is valid and unexpired during the
cruise, including the day you embark and the day you disembark the ship,
this would be acceptable.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

Deborah, we look forward to sailing with you both!

Have a Magical Day!

Darlene
Email Communications Agent
Disney Cruise Line"

Ok, I stand corrected. Sometimes my memory fails me.

When we went to Norway, our passport had to be valid for 3 months and they are part of the Schengen area. Some European countries do require 6 months. Also, Bumbershoot is correct, Canada only requires validity at time of entry.

Passports are not required of US citizens on closed loop cruises!
Legally.

But cruiselines can impose stricter requirements than the law, if they wish. I know that several of the luxury lines require passports on all their cruises, regardless of the itinerary/legal requirements.

This is from the https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise website:
it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) provides document requirements for entry into the United States only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter