Passport renewal question

dancin Disney style

<font color=blue>I found one to share with some fa
For those that have done it I'm hoping you know the answer to this. I just got all the forms and it looks like I have to surrender my current passport if I use the renewal form VS the standard form. Is this the case or can I keep my current passport while they are processing my new one???? I will need my passport a couple of time between now and June when it expires but then I need it again before mid July so I have some time issues.

I thought it might be easier to ask here than to call the government. :rotfl:

I can only speak from taking the passport in to the passport office. Not sure if it is the same when mailing it in. When you take in the renewal you can get your passport back however it is now VOID. As soon as you hand in your renwal your passport gets cut and it is no longer valid.

You shouldn't have a time issue. Take it in just before it expires (if you do this before it expires you can use the simplified form on the website) and on the form you can mark your travel dates. I just took mine in and had it back to me in 2 weeks. I think 10 business days is the norm. If you need it back sooner you can pay an express fee and get it back quicker. I think there is even an express fee that can have it back to you in 24 or 48 hrs if need be.

You need to surender your passport.
If you use the standard form in their investigation to will know that you currently have a valid pasport. The form might be rejected.
If you bring the form into the passport office you will get the new one in less than 10 days

Crumbs.....I thought that was going to be the answer. I have a gap of time between May 25th and the begining of July....I guess that's when I should do it. I really don't want to pay the express fee as I have to pay for 3 adults and 1 childs passport so it's not going to be cheap.

I really hate the thought of being without my passport. What a pain.

BTW...I will be going into the office to apply.

They don't take your Passport but they do cut the corner off of it and it is now no longer usuable. We just had to renew my daughters PP ..it had 10 months left but she is going to work in Epcot for a year and will be there beyond it's expiration. She travelled with it March 23rd and we took to the PP office on March 25th. They said with the holiday weekend (Easter) it would be here April 12 but it came yesterday. 10 business days is the max. You have a good time frame..

This is a OT, but still slightly related question.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Express or Urgent service offered by Passport Canada? I know what it says on their website, but just wanted to see if it was actually matching up with reality, lol.

My Passport expired recently, and every application I've filed to get a new one has been rejected because it's impossible to get an American Photographer to take proper pictures :rotfl:.

I'm just going to apply for a new one when I fly up to visit my family in Montreal this summer (I hold U.S. Citizenship through my Mom, so I'm planning to use my U.S. Passport on leaving the US, and then presenting my Certificate of Citizenship to Dorval Immigration on arrival).

However, I'm only staying for 7-8 days, so a 10-day turnaround is slightly longer than I'd like. I guess I could have it sent it direct to the US or to my parents house and forwarded, but I don't like the idea of my Passport flying about North America in an unsecured envelope, lol.

This is a OT, but still slightly related question.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Express or Urgent service offered by Passport Canada? I know what it says on their website, but just wanted to see if it was actually matching up with reality, lol.

My Passport expired recently, and every application I've filed to get a new one has been rejected because it's impossible to get an American Photographer to take proper pictures :rotfl:.

I'm just going to apply for a new one when I fly up to visit my family in Montreal this summer (I hold U.S. Citizenship through my Mom, so I'm planning to use my U.S. Passport on leaving the US, and then presenting my Certificate of Citizenship to Dorval Immigration on arrival).

However, I'm only staying for 7-8 days, so a 10-day turnaround is slightly longer than I'd like. I guess I could have it sent it direct to the US or to my parents house and forwarded, but I don't like the idea of my Passport flying about North America in an unsecured envelope, lol.

Out of curiousity.....since you have a US passport why do you need a Canadian one? I have no doubt that this might be a stupid question so forgive me please.

I have not had experience with the express service but I would assume (I know could be dangerous) that they would have to be pretty right on with what they say as the express service is mainly for people who are traveling in an emergency (ie funeral or something) so they would need the passport when it was promised.

They don't take your Passport but they do cut the corner off of it and it is now no longer usuable. We just had to renew my daughters PP ..it had 10 months left but she is going to work in Epcot for a year and will be there beyond it's expiration. She travelled with it March 23rd and we took to the PP office on March 25th. They said with the holiday weekend (Easter) it would be here April 12 but it came yesterday. 10 business days is the max. You have a good time frame..

I've had that done before but it was still valid...I asked....and that was 5 yrs ago prior to the new renewal format.

I remember last time that the envelope was in my mailbox in under 14 days. So at least I know it won't take too long. It's just a little bit of a timing dance. I've just looked at by schedule, rearranged a client, and have booked a half a day on the Monday after I get back from my last trip across to go to the passport office and deal with this. This will give me about 30 days before I need the passport again.

Thanks all :banana:

Out of curiousity.....since you have a US passport why do you need a Canadian one? I have no doubt that this might be a stupid question so forgive me please.

Not stupid at all. It's one of those bureaucractic things that comes with having Dual Citizenship.

American law requires U.S. Citizens to enter and leave the United States on a U.S. Passport, and Canada "highly recommends" that Dual Canadian/US Citizens always enter Canada on their Canadian Passport/Citizenship Papers.

I know of people in the opposite situation (Canadians of American origin living in Canada) who got hassled by US Customs for using their Canadian Passports to cross the border when this whole nonsense went into effect last year. I'm sure Canada is much more reasonable on the matter, but I'm still not sure I want to whip out and present a U.S. Passport to the Immigration officer and have them see that Canada is listed as my place of birth, lol.

It's sheer madness, really. I've already decided that once I'm (eventually :rolleyes:) done with school, I'm moving back and will probably renounce my U.S. Citizenship to reduce the bureaucratic hassle. Even though I've lived in the U.S. for a little while now, Canada is still the place I consider home. Canadian is how I was raised, and now that my parents have moved back, it's where all my family is.

I have not had experience with the express service but I would assume (I know could be dangerous) that they would have to be pretty right on with what they say as the express service is mainly for people who are traveling in an emergency (ie funeral or something) so they would need the passport when it was promised.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Their site says that Express service is 2-9 days, but I wasn't sure if it was closer to 2 or 9, or if it was one of those things where they said one thing and did another.

I'm certain the Urgent service is next-day. If I spent $70 above and beyond normal Passport fees and had the clerk tell me to come back in 3 days, I definately would NOT be a happy camper....

Just a suggestion for getting an acceptable passport photo. Are you a CAA/AAA member? CAA does passport photos, and I was wondering if AAA would have the specs. for Canadian photos--they would also do photos for international driver's licenses too, so hopefully they have numerous photo specs. available.

This is for Glendalais and is my second post here--after I finished posting earlier, it occurred to me that there should be a better way, so I checked the Govt. of Canada website. Your closest Canadian Consulate is the Consulate in Miami. Apparently they have an office that deals with passport issues. Their phone no. is: (305) 579-1600, ext. 3346. Their email address is: http://miami-cs@international.gc.ca

This is for Glendalais and is my second post here--after I finished posting earlier, it occurred to me that there should be a better way, so I checked the Govt. of Canada website. Your closest Canadian Consulate is the Consulate in Miami. Apparently they have an office that deals with passport issues. Their phone no. is: (305) 579-1600, ext. 3346. Their email address is: http://miami-cs@international.gc.ca

Thanks. I've already spoken with the Consulate about this. They were very helpful, but, per Government policy, they can't accept Passport applications (unless it's a dire emergency that requires issuance of Temporary Passports to facilitate rapid returns to Canada).

All Passport applications from the US have to be sent to and processed at the Passport Canada central office in Gatineau, Que., or submitted in person at a Passport Canada office counter in Canada.

They said they would be willing to look it over and make sure it was in order before I mailed it. But between school and work, I just don't have the time to make the four hour drive to Miami :(.

I've just looked at by schedule, rearranged a client, and have booked a half a day on the Monday after I get back from my last trip across to go to the passport office and deal with this. This will give me about 30 days before I need the passport again.

Not sure where in Ontario you live but if you are anywhere near Whitby the passport office there is great. It is never busy (I was in and out in 15 min). Didn't even have a chance to put my butt on the chair when they called my number. Just a thought as I know from experience that the ones closer to the city can be crazy busy.

I've had that done before but it was still valid...I asked....and that was 5 yrs ago prior to the new renewal format.

I remember last time that the envelope was in my mailbox in under 14 days. So at least I know it won't take too long. It's just a little bit of a timing dance. I've just looked at by schedule, rearranged a client, and have booked a half a day on the Monday after I get back from my last trip across to go to the passport office and deal with this. This will give me about 30 days before I need the passport again.

Thanks all :banana:

My husband JUST did this. They dont cut the corner anymore... they stamp it with a huge VOID stamp, and of course it will come up void when swiped. His passport arrived less than 2 weeks later by express post. Didnt pay extra, just the standard renewal.

Not sure where in Ontario you live but if you are anywhere near Whitby the passport office there is great. It is never busy (I was in and out in 15 min). Didn't even have a chance to put my butt on the chair when they called my number. Just a thought as I know from experience that the ones closer to the city can be crazy busy.

Nope not near Whitby. I'm in Oakville. There is a brand new Services Canada office here that does passports.....Shhhhhh... it's not very well known yet. I'm hoping that it will be quick. The last time I had to go for passports I went to the Mississauga office...which has a rep of being crazy busy. One of my DH's clients was working there at the time and she said to call her when I was on my way and she would pull a number for me. When I got there I only waited about 15 minutes.....the place was over flowing, I would guess about 150 people were in there.

:rotfl2:Last year I had to get a new photo for my health card and there were 4 people ahead of me and it still took 45 minutes.

My husband JUST did this. They dont cut the corner anymore... they stamp it with a huge VOID stamp, and of course it will come up void when swiped. His passport arrived less than 2 weeks later by express post. Didnt pay extra, just the standard renewal.

We JUST did this too! As noted above...March 25th in fact. Took to the PP office in Mississauga and they DID cut the Passport and did NOT stamp void on it! I imagine each office does it 'their' way!! We did not pay extra either and it arrived as mentioned yesterday April 7. including 2 holiday business days in there.

Nope not near Whitby. I'm in Oakville. There is a brand new Services Canada office here that does passports.....Shhhhhh... it's not very well known yet. I'm hoping that it will be quick. The last time I had to go for passports I went to the Mississauga office...which has a rep of being crazy busy. One of my DH's clients was working there at the time and she said to call her when I was on my way and she would pull a number for me. When I got there I only waited about 15 minutes.....the place was over flowing, I would guess about 150 people were in there.

:rotfl2:Last year I had to get a new photo for my health card and there were 4 people ahead of me and it still took 45 minutes.

The Oakville office is only a drop for the regular Passport offices. They then send to the regular offices and it can take 3-4 weeks. We went there, they told us if time is of the essence to NOT take it there!!! We took it to the Missisauga location on a Thurs which they told me is the busiest day of all :confused3 and we only waited 30 mins from walking in to walking out!!!
Not bad at alll..

The Oakville office is only a drop for the regular Passport offices. They then send to the regular offices and it can take 3-4 weeks. We went there, they told us if time is of the essence to NOT take it there!!! We took it to the Missisauga location on a Thurs which they told me is the busiest day of all :confused3 and we only waited 30 mins from walking in to walking out!!!
Not bad at alll..

Oh of course...just to make it more fun. They practically want a pint of blood along with the app couldn't they just let me apply in the nice little quiet office in Oakville. :confused3 Gotta luv the Mississauga office....land of forgotten deodorant.

Thanks.

Oh of course...just to make it more fun. They practically want a pint of blood along with the app couldn't they just let me apply in the nice little quiet office in Oakville. :confused3 Gotta luv the Mississauga office....land of forgotten deodorant.

Thanks.

I wasn't looking forward to it either..but it was pretty uneventful and we really were in and out. Download and complete the form before you go and you will save time there too.

I was pretty excited there was an Oakville location as well...till they told me it wasn't as good as it appeared!:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter