• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport help Please

MizzPrincezz

Princess in Training
Hi there can someone give me advise? I have applied for my dd passport and they sent it back saying that the person who countersigned the form wasnt suitable/eligible. Who is eligible to countersign passport forms I am totally panicking as I dont know any lawyers/JP etc that the Passport mentions on there site:mad: :confused:

Can a retired Military man countersign? I believe they have to have a passport too? (he doesnt unfortunately)

Is a librarian eligible(or is local government NOT part of the civil servants they mention on the site?)

I am totally confused:confused:

Please HELP!!!!
whats up with these timers I dont go for 5 weeks :rolleyes:

Hiya,

Off the top of my head - you can get a teacher, a doctor (though I am certain they charge you a fee) or a local councillor (among many other professions) - any of these any good to you?

Can't answer your question about the librarian or retired Military man I'm afraid!

HTH

Karen

I counter-signed passport when I was in the military - although I did have my own passport at the time.

We're lucky - we have a family friend who has a B.E.M. who signs ours for us, here's th e list from the UKPA site

Accountant
Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
Assurance Agent of Recognised Company
Bank/Building Society Official
Barrister
Broker
Chairman/Director of Limited Company
Chemist
Chiropodist
Christian Science Practitioner
Commissioner of Oaths
Councillor: Local or County
Civil Servant (permanent)
Dentist
Engineer (with professional Qualifications)
Fire Service Official
Funeral Director
Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised Company
Journalist
Justice of the Peace
Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
Local Government Officer
Manager/Personnel Officer (of Limited Company)
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy Officer
Minister of a recognised religion
Nurse (SRN and SEN)
Officer of the armed services (Active or Retired)
Optician
Person with Honours (eg OBE MBE etc)
Person with recognised qualification (eg BSc, PhD etc)
Photographer (Professional)
Police Officer
Post Office Official
President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army Officer
Social Worker
Solicitor
Surveyor
Teacher, Lecturer
Trade Union Officer
Travel Agency (Qualified)
Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)
Warrant officers and Chief Petty Officers

Hi

I got my sons teacher to countersign the passport. They need to have known the child for a certain number of years but usually if the teacher cannot help then the headteacher should be able to sign. I have to say that it is not the easiest of things to arrange especially if the child does not go to school yet. Anyway hope this helps and enjoy your holiday, I'm counting down the days to mine!!

Hi,
I was a civil servant with The Court Service until recently and have signed lots of friends passports. I've had my own passport and my childrens signed by collegues or friends who are bank managers. The notes that come in the passport pack say: bank or building society officials, police, civil servants, or persons with professional qualifications eg teachers, engineers etc. I would have thought a librarian would be ok to sign. I think the bit about them having to have their own passport is new. Your own doctor can sign for you, but they will probably charge you. They do where I live!
I recently applied for a renewal passport and had a few queries, so I phoned the helpline and they were really helpful.
Good luck.

Thanks for the responses :D I realise the list they have is quite considerable I suppose I must lead a very sheltered life :(

I will try giving them a call however the person I spoke to thisevening couldnt answer my questions either so frustrating. I dont want to send another completed form with more new pics just to be told that this isnt suitable either :confused:

I will still struggle to get it countersigned. (annoying too considering I am a teacher who hasnt worked for 5 years due to young family)

gillrodgers-my dd is four and attends nursery would that do?

Thanks for trying

Karon

... don't forget the counter-signatory should be somebody who's known you for 2 years - not your DD (assuming you're the one who's fille d in the form for her) :)

Hi

I don't know if it's tightened up in the last few years, but in the past I have had my own, DH & DS's application signed by senior managers in BT ( I work there and DH did). It seemed that if they had a suitably grand title it was OK.

More recently my daughters application was signed by a friend of ours who is a Prison Warder - although he had to enter his own passport number.

If you really can't think of anyone your GP will do it but you will have to pay. The only thing is when I wanted to do this many years ago, he wouldn't do it as I had not been to the doctors in 2 years!!

Maxine

Hi,
i got my son and daughter's renewed this year. he post office will do a passport check in service for you. Complete your form, take it in with photos.They will check it and submit it taking away the need to sign the back of photos.

It cost £5 for each application but well worth it and you know your passports will arrive.

Might be of future help to you and others.

Well that isnt a prob for me I have been to my doctors numerous occasions for myself & my dd's however I am considering asking my health visitor to do it for me as she has known me & my dd for over two years.

AUDS35- The Post Office check and send service - I would still have to get my DD's form signed by someone off the Passports List too wouldnt I? I didnt realise that I wouldnt need to get the pics signed if I used this service

Not sure if she will charge me or not:rolleyes: dont really care as long as it gets signed lol

thanks for all your responses these boards are full of valuable great info :hyper:

Check and send is a lottery. Our local post office missed the fact that I hadn't completed the forms properly and the passport office sent me new ones to fill in!! I got my money back but it took a while.

Libby

Tried my doctors this morning..they refused they said they no longer did them as it was compromising the doctors security having to put their personal addresses on the form. I haven't tried my Health visitir yet but I may have the same problem as she is at the same health Practise as my doctor :(

Not sure where else to try now:rolleyes:

Do you visit a bank or building society branch regularly? Someone there might be able to do it for you.

Or try your dentist - they might not be as security conscious as the doctor.

Originally posted by MizzPrincezz
Tried my doctors this morning..they refused they said they no longer did them as it was compromising the doctors security having to put their personal addresses on the form. I haven't tried my Health visitir yet but I may have the same problem as she is at the same health Practise as my doctor :(

Not sure where else to try now:rolleyes:

They're are simply avoiding doing it - there is no reason why the practice address shouldn't be used.

Note that the person signing must have known you for at least 2 years - this is not the same as knowing you continuously for 2 years.

They are not signing to vouch for your character after all; merely that the photograph is a true likeness!!

:jumping1: :jumping1:

Hi managed to get it signed today. Fortunately I had a doctors appointment & I just asked my doctor directly rather than going through the busy :smooth: receptionist who just told me blankly that they no longer sign passports :rolleyes:

Well ...luckly I am the persistent type :eek:

My doctor just said "sure no problem" wheeeph.

I have had the same doctor for the past 17 years and she is a gem princess:

Just like to thank all the responses they were very helpful

Thanks a huge bunch :) :) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter