passport card question

Disney_Mom333

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We finally have all our passports (cards) as long as we have passports we don't need to bring IDs and birth certs right? all we need is the card?

Nicole

On a closed loop cruise (out of Port Canaveral or LA) a passport card will be the same as a certified birth certificate and a gov't ID.

However, the cards will not work if you fly into or out of a foreign country.

We just got back from the Alaskan cruise. Hubby has passport, the rest of us have passport cards. We did not use any other form of identification during the trip. Getting off and on the ship required photo i.d. for each adult. We also had a tour that went into Canada--passport cards were sufficient. In fact, I didn't even bring the birth certificates.

At the border crossing, the guard did tell us that if we wanted to fly home from Canada we would not be able to do so since we didn't have passports. Thought that was a little funny since we were sitting in our car (with California plates)!

In fact, I didn't even bring the birth certificates.

thats what Im wanting...to NOT bring all that stuff. but I don't want to drive to FL and then them say I DO need birth certs. But not the case right? just our cards...those are birth certs AND ID.

Oh yes, I knew this already. we have young kids and NO desire to fly anywhere haha. cruises will do us just fine.

Thank you!

The land-based excursions that cross into Canada will accept a passport card, but the flight-oriented excursions require a passport (or at least, that's what the descriptions say), so also double-check any excursions you might have booked! (In case you're planning on having an adult-day excursion!)

The land-based excursions that cross into Canada will accept a passport card, but the flight-oriented excursions require a passport (or at least, that's what the descriptions say), so also double-check any excursions you might have booked! (In case you're planning on having an adult-day excursion!)

It appears that they are sailing on the Dream so I don't think Canada will be an issue this trip.

It appears that they are sailing on the Dream so I don't think Canada will be an issue this trip.

Good point! So many of the questions that used to be simply answered now have so many permutations with the different ports, ships, itineraries, that it's easy to forget to look!

You will need your driver's license and birth certificates.
The Passport cards, as others have pointed out, are only good for walking or driving across the U.S. border.
No Passport is needed, again, as others have pointed out, for a closed loop cruise.
But you have an issue in a foreign country other than Canada or Mexico, the Passport card is completely useless. You need a Passport. As I have posted frequently, I don't know why everyone in this day and age doesn't have a Passport, especially for kids, even those who never intend to leave the country. For school, sports, driver's licenses, jobs, they are a huge help.

On a closed loop cruise - we have used our "enhanced" state identification cards.

No problems getting in and out using them (well except for the CM who looked at it strange and ask what they were suppose to do with it - I said it's all the hype in NYC :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: - you turn it around and swipe it - she did and we had no problems ) She called another cm over and was like "check this out" she swiped our next card :rotfl2: -

You will need your driver's license and birth certificates.
The Passport cards, as others have pointed out, are only good for walking or driving across the U.S. border.

Incorrect.

The Passport card is valid for all Land and SEA crossings between US/Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/Caribbean.

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

OP- you'll be fine with just the passport cards. I've sailed 3x with just the card and there have been no issues whatsoever.

I intend to bring everything. Passports Certs and ID. Why? because if god forbid a family member needs to be flown to the states for a medical emergency I want to be able to get back asap anyway I can.

I intend to bring everything. Passports Certs and ID. Why? because if god forbid a family member needs to be flown to the states for a medical emergency I want to be able to get back asap anyway I can.

The only thing that will get you on a flight immediately is a passport book. If you don't have a passport book, the embassy CAN get you home, but it will take longer, and at that point it really doesn't matter passport card vs. ID and birth cert.

The only thing that will get you on a flight immediately is a passport book. If you don't have a passport book, the embassy CAN get you home, but it will take longer, and at that point it really doesn't matter passport card vs. ID and birth cert.

Thanks! real newbie didnt realize card ment no book:confused3. I planed on getting book. We figure we will get the full passport since we are going to all the trouble. That way if we come upon some money we can go to Europe and we're all set .

Thanks! real newbie didnt realize card ment no book:confused3. I planed on getting book. We figure we will get the full passport since we are going to all the trouble. That way if we come upon some money we can go to Europe and we're all set .

Yep- you've got the option of getting

Passport Card + Passport Book
Passport Book
Passport Card.

I have both the passport card & the book. I also have an enhanced driver's license (MI issued) that is valid for land/sea crossings (WHTI compliant). I find it extremely comforting to have 3 documents that could each get me across land/sea boarders by themselves.

Incorrect.

The Passport card is valid for all Land and SEA crossings between US/Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/Caribbean.

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

OP- you'll be fine with just the passport cards. I've sailed 3x with just the card and there have been no issues whatsoever.

I stand corrected.

Yep, I keep telliing my 30 year old, single neice she needs one...what happens when she meets someone fabulous who wants to take her to Paris for lunch! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter