Passport and/or Birth Certificate

We applied for our passports in February of this year. We just had to go to the Main Post Office in our area. We had our passport photos taken at the local AAA office and I downloaded the passport applications from the gov't website. You have to remember not to sign it until you're in the presence of the clerk at the Passport application office.

We did not use the expedited service and the applications were mailed back to us within eight calendar days of when we applied for them.

It cost $45 for the Department of State and $15 for the application fee, but it's also valid for 10 years. Not a bad deal at all.

With all of the world tensions and considering the changes they will be making to ensure they know who is entering the United States, I thought having a passport will become very important for travel with the least amount of delays.

hope that helps

Since you are all American it is not a big deal to not have a passport. It is for the non-US residents that a passport is required.

why do you have to go to the courthouse for a passport?...
have they changed the system?
you used to be able to apply for them at the post office....
in any case, if you have a passport, you do NOT also need a photo ID...a passport is a photo ID.....

(just an aside - i just love that expression "resident aliens".....little green men perhaps?).....

finally, if your passport is lost or stolen while you're out of the country, the replacement process is surprisingly easy IF you have a copy of that all important picture page....

we've been left without passports in rather nasty places in the world and the US government is surprisingly helpful and efficient in solving these sorts of problems....although the state deparment did screw up with us once....but the embassy demonstrated remarkable independence and overruled state....wonders never cease....

Originally posted by vllygrrl
Thanks for all the responses! Ideally, I guess I should get a passport, but it might not be feasable....NJ makes it difficult. I'd have to take time off work and drive out to the county courthouse, about an hour away, to complete all the paperwork.:(

Nope, not at all. You can do it in the evening or Saturdays at the Old Bridge Public Library, which even if you on the Red Bank end of Middletown should take you no more than about 25 minutes to get to. Their number is (732) 721-5600 X5013.

Anne

Even though I know passports are not necessary to cruise DCL, we found it much easier to carry passports then to carry Birth Certificates. I even got them for my three children. I keep them all in an evelope and just present them at the airport and at the cruise terminal.....no hassle, and the officials often comment "good, you have passport, that makes it easier!!"

They also came in very handy when my two teens were asked to vacation with friends internationally at the last minute!!!

MJ

You can also check with your county courthouse to see if they have any evening hours. I went during the day with my DD to get our passports, husband was at work, and could not get daughters because my husband was not with me, and I did not have a signed waiver from him allowing me to apply for her passport. So I applied for mine, and the next week, (every Wednesday night they are open until 8pm) my DH, DD, and myself went back to the courthouse and applied for their passports. We all received them within 2 weeks from application.

They may also have satelite offices in a public library during the week nights, they may not offer photos, but you can go to CVS, Eckerd, Walmart,etc and get 2 passport photos taken, then apply at the offices.

Just call your local County Courthouse and they will give you all details!

quote from disneyvacationmom

I was questioned at the airport in Orlando in Aug. 2001 about my ID. My birth certificate name didn't match the airline ticket name.

This is surprising to me. You need to have a Photo ID for boarding, and normally you are never asked for a birth certificate, unless you are flying to some place in the carribean where a passport is not required to return to the US...

prymsu: We fly out of Buffalo but are Canadian. I don't know if this makes a difference but we've always shown our Birth Certificate when flying. We haven't flown since Sept 11 though. That too might make a difference. Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter