"Passenger of size" ticket in SW

tiggerjenn

Mouseketeer
Hi, this is my first time flying and because of my disability I am going to require an extra seat for room, has anyone done this before? How do the safety belts work when doing this? Thank you for any info you can supply me with!

It is best to book the second seat, SW will refund you. Once onboard, just ask for a seat belt extension.

Did you check Southwest's website? This is explained there:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-***

I will add that if your "disability" is that you cannot fit in one seat due to being too large, the above applies. If there is some other reason you need two seats, it's possible you'll have to pay for the second seat. You may need to contact Southwest for advice.

I did check the site but was hoping for personal experience opinions. I have lipidema and Lymphedema that causes me to be uncomfortable in one seat.

Thanks to everyone for responding.

What I know of those two conditions makes it likely you would be considered a Passenger of Size, for both your own comfort and safety and in consideration of the other passengers.

I haven't booked it for myself but I did for a client earlier this year. Southwest prefers you tell them in advance you need an adjacent seat, so just call them and pay for it, then once your trip is completed, call back and they will issue a refund.
It is also possible to arrange this at the airport the day of the flight, but if the flight is completely full (or appears to be), then you might run into problems.

I witnessed a problem with a Flight Attendant who was totally rude and her actions were out of line and uncalled for. The first thing I heard was her talking to the cockpit that there was a "*** (customer of size) refusing to sit in a middle seat." Yes the flight was full and yes, this gentleman was in the last boarding group. The gentleman came up to the front and she was rude to him then. I felt so sorry for the gentleman and the way he was being treated. The gate agent came and the gentleman followed the gate agent off the plane. I got the idea that he was being reassigned to another flight that wasn't full. At least the gate agent treated this gentleman nicely. The Flight Attendant then closed and locked the door. All of a sudden she went storming back down the isle and returned with 4 other people in tow and she was talking to the cockpit and then opened the door and the gate agent took those 4 people off the plane as well. All during takeoff I got to listen how this *** created all kinds of problems and that the family was then "refusing" to fly without their family member. It was so embarrassing for me and for others who were sitting in the first seats. She could have and definitely should have handled this situation much better. The guy didn't "refuse" anything - it was a fact.

I am telling you of my experience because if I could do anything ahead of time to alert Southwest that you need 2 seats, I would certainly do it. I would also read up on their policy so that you know what to expect. There is no reason under the sun that this Flight Attendant should EVER treat another person with distain, as she was treating this gentleman.

Yes, I did contact Southwest Corporate when we got home. I had her name and the person at corporate confirmed my story by noting that others had called to complain - not only about this issue but also about an issue my DD and I had with this Flight Attendant. She was so rude to my DD that my DD was in tears and the gentleman across the isle from us had to intervene. When the gentleman intervened he stated that he had "had enough of her rudeness." Southwest made it good by giving us vouchers for the amount we paid for our flight. I made a comment that corporate should also do likewise to the gentleman and the 4 other family members. The person couldn't confirm what was done, but, indicated that they would definitely take care of the problem.

Thank you all. I did purchase the 2nd seat just in case and have been reassured that I will be fully refunded not just a credit. Crossing my fingers! I'm really nervous about rude comments, people just don't understand.

TiggerJen - I hope this response isn't too late for you!

I also have lipo-lymphedema, and I completely understand your anxiety.

Personal experiences - most times, I've found that most people have been friendly, helpful, and not rude. Most times. But there are always those ignorant few... Try not to let those get to you if it happens.

Getting the second seat is great - It's especially nice that SW changed its policy and you now get refunded for the second seat. Although it's somewhat an inconvenience to have to pay for it up front, I can understand; I'm sure that making it a bit more difficult means they don't have people just claiming the need when they don't really need the extra space.

First thing - you will get a seating group. I haven't flown SW since all the policies changed, so I don't know if you will be put in the first group if you have two seats or not. Regardless, check with the agent at the gate and let them know you have purchased a second seat. You will get a "reserved" sign to put on your second seat so the FAs know not to count that seat as open, and so others know not to sit there. I know that most of the time people won't try to take an open middle seat next to a "pooh-sized" flyer, but that just makes it easier. Don't be afraid to ask to do the "early boarding" if you need to. That may be automatic with the extra seat - you have to be able to get on while you can find adjacent seats, obviously. But be proactive and make sure you get on early so you don't have an issue.

Even with the extra seat, be prepared - if you do really need the second seat, it probably won't be comfortable. The ridges of the seats can be painful after a while, especially with the lipidema. I often take a seat cushion with me to make it a little easier to deal with. A blanket or a jacket over the raised armrest can help too.

As far as the seatbelt extender - I simply let one of the FAs greeting people as they board know that I need it. They will either hand it to me immediately, or they bring it to me when they are doing the final flight check. There have been a few times the FA has forgotten - if they are doing the final check (making sure seat backs are uprights, tray tables are up, and seat belts are fastened) and I don't have it yet, I flag one as they are passing and let them know I asked for an extender and don't have it yet. All this can be fairly discrete, but if you have to remind them and a seat mate is going to hear, don't let that stop you. Your safety is too important to let a little embarrassment get in the way.

One other thing - getting to the gate in the airport can require quite a bit of walking. I still walk it - though sometimes it gets a little tough, but I learned years ago to do these things to make the airport easier:
- check luggage: don't drag a whole bunch around the airport. What may seem like "not much" becomes horrible to deal with when you are trying to walk to the gate that seems miles away!

- For any carry-ons: take something that rolls. Again, I've made the mistake in the past of thinking, "this laptop bag isn't that heavy; it's just a MacBook Air, an adapter, and a few other small things." That was before I knew about the lipedema. Carrying something like that through the airports gave me so much pain I could barely move later.

- Give yourself plenty of time. Murphy's law says that if you get there early, the security line will be short and a breeze; get there late, and it will take forever. I like giving myself plenty of time because it reduces my anxiety greatly, and that way, if I have to stand a long time in the security line, I can sit somewhere and rest a minute before I continue to the gate. I can take breaks on the way if I need to. And I always make sure to use the restroom just before boarding.

Hope this helps a little!

I try to fly exclusively SW because I know the routine. I am a person of size and I always book two seats. I have always been allowed to board as one of the first in the handicapped section. They have to do that to assure you that there will be two seats together, I just signal the flight attendant that I need the extender and one is provided with a smile! The gentleman who had the difficulties should have been allowed to board first before there were no seats remaining together. My visa card has always been promptly refunded the cost of the extra ticket within a few hours of my contacting them at the conclusion of my trip.

I try to fly exclusively SW because I know the routine. I am a person of size and I always book two seats. I have always been allowed to board as one of the first in the handicapped section. They have to do that to assure you that there will be two seats together, I just signal the flight attendant that I need the extender and one is provided with a smile! The gentleman who had the difficulties should have been allowed to board first before there were no seats remaining together. My visa card has always been promptly refunded the cost of the extra ticket within a few hours of my contacting them at the conclusion of my trip.

My experiences have all been exactly the same as this.

Frontier and Virgin America have nearly si liar policies, but you only get a refund on the second seat if there is at least one other open seat. But for me, I'm fine with that. I just wish this was a standard policy across the board for all airlines. I don't have a problem paying for the second seat, but don't feel I should be penalized for trying to be considerate if there are empty seats. Just my two cents, and that I wish Southwest flew out of an airport near me that was closer than three hours away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter