Party of 11- Rent DVC points for SS Grand Villa or 3 rooms at POR?

gaucho2000

Mouseketeer
We have a party of 11- 7 adults and 4 kids (14, 11, 8, 5) for next June. I was going to just book three rooms at POR as we have stayed there before and liked the rooms that sleep 5 but then I was reading about renting DVC points and the Grand Villa and I am wondering if that might be the way to go. We would do Coronado Springs since it's the most affordable. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

We have a part of 11- 7 adults and 4 kids (14, 11, 8, 5) for next June. I was going to just book three rooms at POR as we have stayed there before and liked the rooms that sleep 5 but then I was reading about renting DVC points and the Grand Villa and I am wondering if that might be the way to go. We would do Coronado Springs since it's the most affordable. Any thoughts?
I would go with 3 rooms. The GVs are amazing but the sleeping arrangements could get tricky, depending on who sleeps in which bedroom, who shares a bed with whom, who gets the awesome master suite with king bed and who gets stuck sleeping in the living room on a pullout sofa.

I would not book a grand villa. One problem with renting points is that you are set in stone. You want to make a change? You really cannot. RENting DVC can be a wonderful way to save money on lodging, but it can be tricky, and I firmly believe that folks who want to do this be very sure of their dates and travel party.

My family travels often as extended family and we do share space. FOr the most part we all can manage staying together, and have no issues, but if your travel party is not used to sharing space it can be an issue. WHen my DS and DDIL travel with us they get their own room, no matter how big our suite is. The rest of us appreciate this as well, My son needs down time without all of us, and his wife does as well. Having that level of privacy is important to them. I feel strongly that if folks are not used to close spaces they should not practice on vacation, and never on a WDW vacation. The parks can be very overwhelming and if it's crowded they can be stressful, so some people just need to get away from everyone once they return to the resort. That is not going to happen in many of the DVC villas.

I suggest that you cost out three rooms in a nice moderate. I think that POR is a nice resort with teens, but I think they might like CBR as well.

I agree with Nancyg56. At the end of the day...I really like some privacy and down time. I would prefer the three separate rooms. You will still have the opportunity to spend a lot of time together, but can escape when you would like to. :)

PP mentioned that DVC rental decisions are pretty much set in stone.

Also, renting requires the room to be available, and an owner to have points they are willing to rent out to cover the cost of the room.

Have you priced this out, or just generally heard that renting points is a good idea? This might help you price it out:
https://www.dvcrequest.com/
I have never tried to book a Grand Villa at SSR, but keep in mind that owners can start booking at 11 months out. If you really want to do this, the rooms might not be available if you delay.

If you are ok with the terms and conditions of renting points for a villa, I would definitely consider it. I, personally, love having a full kitchen and a washer/dryer and, with the 3-bedroom, you would have the dining room plus a patio to hang out - so much more space than 3 rooms at POR. At POR, there would be no common area for people to hang out, for the kids to play together, etc.

We have a party of 13 traveling in August (8 adults, 5 kids ranging from 9 mos. to 8 yrs. old. We originally planned on trying to rent at GV, but then one family would have to sleep out in the Living Room, which wouldn't work for us. We opted for 2 2BR villas at BCV (our home resort) instead. Everyone gets a bedroom at bathroom, we have breakfast and the occasional other meal in the villa, and we have the washer and dryer to cut down on laundry.

The problem with renting points for a big family gathering is that unless you can control everyone's trip, you are bound to be disappointed at some point. After securing a reservation, someone is surely going to say they can't go. Or they can't afford the trip. Or Betty Lou has cheerleading camp that week so they can't go. Or someone has a new job and can't take the time off. So you are stuck with a huge location and not that many people to fill it up. And you can't get a refund. Let everyone book their own stay wherever they want to stay and plan to meet up as often as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter