Part of the Chicken Gang in WDW (1 of 8)

Chickenlady

Mouseketeer
Trip report Feb 3 -10, 2001

Cast
Chickenlady - 40 year old trip planner, 6th time at WDW
JR - my 3 year old son, 3nd time at WDW
Grammy - my mother, 62, roller coaster fanatic, more than 6 trips to WDW

Prologue

If you recall, we had a wonderful trip to WDW in Sept. 2000. That trip included my mother, my DS, my DH, his sister and her family. We stayed at WL and between hurricanes and small child temper tantrums, we had a great, but exhausting trip. DH vowed not to return in 2001. Although he loves WDW, he's not quite the fanatic that I am. After our return in Sept, our 3 yr old DS would talk about the trip daily. I had never seen him so interested and talkative about any subject. When he didn't let up for a month or two, it finally sunk in that he really loved WDW (gets that from me!). Anyway, started seeing the really great rates for early Feb 2001 and started thinking. DH didn't even hesitate to say "No" when I approached him. But he did add "You guys can go without me, if you want". I hadn't even thought about going without DH, but slowly the idea started to sound reasonable. I knew that it would be very hard for just the 3 yr old and myself, so we invited Grammy along. She said she is always up for WDW. I booked our flights so that JR and I would meet Grammy in Atlanta, and then be on the same flight to MCO. Didn't really think that it would work considering the winter weather, but what the heck. I didn't tell JR where we were going but I think he had a clue. I only told him that we were going to meet Grammy and we were going on vacation, without Daddy.

DAY 1 - Feb. 3, 2001
JR and I were up and ready to leave the house at 4:15 am for our 6:10 am flight. DH, who was taking us to the airport, was shaking his head at my flight timing. Our flight from home to Atlanta was smooth and on time (never happens) except JR did not sleep at all. He munched on cookies and guzzled juice, so he was very wired when we got to Atlanta. After trudging between terminals, we found our gate to MCO and waited for Grammy. Unbelievably, she showed up right on time (I have a habit of losing my mom in airports). As we waited to board our flight to MCO, I decided that now is the time to tell JR of our destination. I asked him if he know where we were going and he said "Yes, we're going on vacation". I asked if he knew exactly where we were going for vacation. He grinned and said "We're going to see Mickey"....so much for the surprise!

We arrive at MCO to find glorious 40-50 degree weather. Yuck! Our Tiffany driver was waiting but boy was she a trip. I still don't know what her name was....never told me. While we waited for our luggage we tried to carry on a conversation but she apparently didn't speak a whole lot of English. Luggage retrieved, we headed down to the car. Unlike the other times we've taken Tiffany, the car was not parked at the curb. She had us wait in all the bus fumes for what seemed like ages.....we couldn't figure out where she disappeared to. Finally got packed into the car and were off to ASMo.

We had never even seen ASMo, but the description made it sound perfect for a 3 yr old. I was a little apprehensive about staying at a value resort but figured "How bad could it really be?". Check in went smoothly, but slowly. OK, maybe I'm just an impatient person but it shouldn't take 45 min. to check-in. The problem seemed to be clueless people! I really don't want to wait while the check-in CM explains fastpass!!! Get a grip, read a bit before you get there! Room was not ready but we did get some of our requests (Toy story, 3 rd floor). Based on the way the CM was talking, I don't think they got my faxed request. She was only going on what was included in my original reservation....something to remember next time.

We had planned on hitting AK before dinner but it was cold and raining, so we just checked out the resort. Loved the food court! I thought it was way better than the fast food place at WL and even better than Dixie's food court. Everyone got a snack and our refillable mugs. Managed to lose JR's baseball hat in the lobby building sometime that afternoon...never showed up at lost and found. Finally got to our room!!!!! Not too bad... 0909, Buzz bldg., 3 rd floor, courtyard view but all the way towards the parking lot . I was pleasantly surprised by the size and decoration in the room.....I had really excepted less. By the time we got our luggage and unpacked (just enough room for the 3 of us, but we all had packed warm and cool weather clothes) it was too late for our early Chef Mickeys PS. I'd hoped to eat early and hit MK for the MSEP but wasn't going to happen tonight. Grammy had a later PS for Chef Mickeys so we wouldn't starve.

A quick bus ride to Epcot to activate our annual passes (now we have to return soon) and it was on to the Contemp. Armed with our autograph book and GOH badges (JR still will not wear his, so Grammy and I looked like dorks) it was off to dinner with Mickey. JR freaked out some dad on the monorail by responding to my query about what he wanted to eat for dinner by saying "Green beans, please". Couldn't find any at Chef Mickey's though. Dinner was great as usual! I could eat my weight in parm. potatoes (I actually ate more of these and passed on dessert)! This was our first trip since the kiddo turned 3, so I was prepared to pay for his meals, but it was still hard to pay $8-9 for him to eat a single roll. I did figure though that the entertainment was worth the price for him.

Made our way back to ASMo and completely collapsed.....we'd all gotten up before 4:30 am. Set the alarm for a decent hour and fell asleep dreaming of Mickey.

Green Beans was my dds favorite food for quite a while. I imagine that your son really suprised that man asking for them. :D

hipgrl1.gif
iluvchat.gif

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font>
<font color=green>
<font color=FF00CC>Co-Moderator Theme Parks, Attractions and Strategies

Enjoying your report. We are making PS for Chef Mickeys with a 3 year old also and it scares me also to know he might not eat a thing. Good to know the entertainment it worth it anyway. On to the next day! :D

group02.gif

Can't wait to try Chef Mickey's on our next trip. Everyone makes it sound so fun!

CBR 11/29-12/5 2000
dot01.gif

Sounds like a long but fun day! We are visiting Chef Mickeys on 3/11 and I have 2 DD's (4 and 3), so I will be paying for 2 kids to eat 2 rolls and 2 cupcakes. Oh well! We are really paying for them to get time with Mickey and the others without having to wait on line. ;)

Your trip is off to a good start. We started out our last trip with dinner at Chef Mickey's love those potatoes. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter