Parks Reopening 9/30?

loveDisneyinTN

Mouseketeer
Saw a comment on another thread where they heard that CM's are being told that parks will be closed tomorrow. Just curious if anyone else has heard any intel on whether parks still need to be closed?

I also saw where all the roads leading to the airport are flooded. Will be interesting to see how that plays out for flights tomorrow....

Just remember, CM's are people, their homes may be flooded, roads impassible, a lot going on. Also I'm guessing that much of the MK rides that are underground, utiladoors etc are probably flooded to some degree. This is going to take time. If Disney opens at all it will most likely be modified.

Saw a comment on another thread where they heard that CM's are being told that parks will be closed tomorrow. Just curious if anyone else has heard any intel on whether parks still need to be closed?

I also saw where all the roads leading to the airport are flooded. Will be interesting to see how that plays out for flights tomorrow....
I have no official knowledge, just a local and former CM. I would be very surprised if the parks opened tomorrow. There is lots of flooding and local schools are still closed. It likely won’t be safe for CMs to drive into work and many are dealing with property damage and flooding. The parks may have gotten by relatively unscathed but that doesn’t mean the rest of central Florida did.

I have no official knowledge, just a local and former CM. I would be very surprised if the parks opened tomorrow. There is lots of flooding and local schools are still closed. It likely won’t be safe for CMs to drive into work and many are dealing with property damage and flooding. The parks may have gotten by relatively unscathed but that doesn’t mean the rest of central Florida did.
Very true! My heart goes out to all those dealing with flooding, damage and any sort of loss. I live in TN so we deal with tornados, but Hurricane's are an entirely different beast!

Just remember, CM's are people, their homes may be flooded, roads impassible, a lot going on. Also I'm guessing that much of the MK rides that are underground, utiladoors etc are probably flooded to some degree. This is going to take time. If Disney opens at all it will most likely be modified.
Absolutely and my heart goes out to all those affected, I truly can't imagine.

Good point about the underground rides, I had thought about the possibility of flooding with them.

9/30 will resume theme park and Disney Springs operations in a PHASED APPROACH.

Update later.

1664478064709.png

Personal note - it will take lots of Cast Members. Right now many communities where they live are under curfew, under water, roads blocked. This is going to take some creativity.

Last edited:

Update later.

View attachment 706488

Personal note - it will take lots of Cast Members. Right now many communities where they live are under curfew, under water, roads blocked. This is going to take some creativity.
I also just saw this posting. Glad they are still able to open for all those who have been stuck there in the hotels.

I also just saw this posting. Glad they are still able to open for all those who have been stuck there in the hotels.
If I were there I for sure would not be telling my kids and risk disappointment. This is really a halfway commitment that "something" will happen tomorrow. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Orlando has been majorly impacted, Disney may be a bubble to guests but not the CMs it takes to run it.

ADDED: Just looked at a CM page and some online social media and most comments are that they are under curfew, they can't get out of their neighborhoods, they left the state for safety (many do not live in the immediate area, it's too expensive)... lots of backlash coming from CMs. If they do get theme parks open and it is operating with minimal staff - please be appreciative of those who are able to make it. Pack your patience.

Last edited:
Our niece is a CM and she has been staying on property during the hurricane. They gave her and some other CM's rooms in one of the resorts and they worked 12 on, 12 off yesterday and she's starting another shift this morning. She's hoping to make it home tonight but they told her they could give her a room again tonight if she wanted to stay. She said she had a blast doing entertainment for the kids/families at the resort and everyone has been great. She said she has seen very little damage/flooding at the resort but she heard her neighborhood has some flooding.

Update later.

View attachment 706488

I wonder if it'll be like Covid where they get some parks back online before others? Especially if their staffing is impacted.

I wonder if it'll be like Covid where they get some parks back online before others? Especially if their staffing is impacted.
Could be. I don't know how you open them all, but then what about the reservations? And do you just let hotel guests in not opening parking lots? Can you even get enough bus drivers in? So many variables considering the area outside of property is so impacted. And we have no eyes on what parks look like.

SeaWorld parks not opening until Saturday. No word from Universal but they took damage and saw a picture of the IOA lake so deep Hulk went underwater. Who knows what else.

One thing we have to remember is every single attraction etc must be inspected, opened, tested to be safe. Unless they are going to open parks only partially, like maybe no outside attractions open and only half the food opens. I don't know, just rambling, just hearing CMs are shocked given the situation in Orlando area at moment that likely needs at least 24 hours to address.

It will be interesting to see what the phased approach is. I feel so bad for the CM's who are dealing with flooding and other issues. I also understand Disney is a business and does not want to be closed.

I can't imagine many people will be flying in tomorrow, I think many folks canceled. I think I heard MCO will open tomorrow but I'm not sure. Many locals won't be able to make it to the park due to storm damage and flooding, so maybe it will just be open for resort guests? There could be certain rides closed due to staffing and/or safety issues. I am kind of surprised they are opening in any capacity tomorrow. But not really.

Hopefully it will be a low crowd day for those who will be there to enjoy it and an easy day for the hard working and dedicated CM's who are able to work.

Could be. I don't know how you open them all, but then what about the reservations? And do you just let hotel guests in not opening parking lots? Can you even get enough bus drivers in? So many variables considering the area outside of property is so impacted. And we have no eyes on what parks look like.

SeaWorld parks not opening until Saturday. No word from Universal but they took damage and saw a picture of the IOA lake so deep Hulk went underwater. Who knows what else.

One thing we have to remember is every single attraction etc must be inspected, opened, tested to be safe. Unless they are going to open parks only partially, like maybe no outside attractions open and only half the food opens. I don't know, just rambling, just hearing CMs are shocked given the situation in Orlando area at moment that likely needs at least 24 hours to address.
I was wondering about rides after hurricanes! I'm sure they have very extensive and detailed checklists to make sure everything is functional and safe. Based on photos of certain areas in Orlando, I am surprised they have enough staff to reopen. I'm guessing they're mostly pulling from DCP staff versus locals. I totally get why CMs would be shocked, I just want all the locals to have time to address issues. I'm going down on Saturday but I don't want to be in the way so I'm still going to wait and see what more reports are before I call it.

I was wondering about rides after hurricanes! I'm sure they have very extensive and detailed checklists to make sure everything is functional and safe. Based on photos of certain areas in Orlando, I am surprised they have enough staff to reopen. I'm guessing they're mostly pulling from DCP staff versus locals. I totally get why CMs would be shocked, I just want all the locals to have time to address issues. I'm going down on Saturday but I don't want to be in the way so I'm still going to wait and see what more reports are before I call it.
I feel exactly the same. Supposed to fly down Saturday but still waiting to decide if I should or not. Very appreciative for ALL the CM's who are there and working so hard through this horrific time and certainly dont want to be a burden.

Would Disney Springs count as "something open" in the phased reopen? I see them getting that open 1st, since they didn't even originally want to definitively say it would be closed Thursday before the hurricane hit. Everyone spends lots of money on food and entertainment, and Disney gets to stop doing it for free/reduced cost...

Would Disney Springs count as "something open" in the phased reopen? I see them getting that open 1st, since they didn't even originally want to definitively say it would be closed Thursday before the hurricane hit. Everyone spends lots of money on food and entertainment, and Disney gets to stop doing it for free/reduced cost...

This was my thought as well - Disney Springs is listed with the parks in the phased re-opening statement. I would imagine DS will open first as long as roads are open and the parking garages and other structures are ok. Plus, there are so many non-Disney retail stores/restaurants there - I think they would have to open if it's safe to do so so those establishments can get back to business. I would think it would be much easier to open and staff individual retail stores/restaurants than to open a theme park and try to fully staff it. Plus, individual stores could stay closed if they can't get staff, supplies, etc. - right? I'm just speculating here! I do find it interesting that the 5:30 pm Cirque show is re-scheduled for 8:00 pm tomorrow night - it sounds like they need more time to try to get cast and crew to the location.

I also think Disney Springs will open first. Then the rest of the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter