• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

parking/trains for NYC? help!

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Hi Dis

We are going to NYC for 4 nights, 5 days in August. We are in three different hotels :headache: because we had free night reward points at different places. I really do not want to have to move my vehicle in manhattan three different times. Not to mention that it's going to cost me about $50 each day to park at the hotels.

Does anyone know where I could drive in close, then park outside the city and take a train in?

I checked on taking a train from home--we're in Boston, and it wil be about $350.00 for the 4 of us to take the train round trip. We'll still have to pay to park our car at the train station too. So the cost is about the same, but we have to follow the train schedule which isn't great.

Thanks for any input you may have!:)

Why not park at one of the airports and then take a cab into the city? I quickly checked and it looks like JFK rates for long term parking are $15 a day. You can probably fit your whole family into a cab and I think our ride into manhattan cost about $30-$40.

If you're coming from the Boston area, I would drive into New Haven (or Stamford) and park there - then take metro north into NYC. Here's their website:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/fares/choosestation.cfm

A roundtrip fare on metro north is significantly cheaper than Amtrak and parking at Union Station in New Haven is about $8-10/day. If you'd prefer to drive closer to the city, then I'd recommend parking in Stamford and grabbing metro north from there. Very easy - I don't recommend driving into NYC if you don't have to.

I second PP!!! I was just going to write the same thing.....drive to New Haven (very easy) and park in the garage there, I don't know the cost tho. You want to take an off-peak train to save $$ if you wish (usually M-F anytime inbound to NYC after 9). Off peak trains run every hour. It takes 1 1/2 hrs to get to Grand Central Terminal.

I used to work for Metro-North in New Haven, and I have to say this is the cheapest way to get into NYC, tho you are carless for the duration.

There are also stations that have free parking. Naugatuck is one, and I'm pretty sure Waterbury is also free. There are others along the line; I'm just not sure which they are. The train fare from Naugatuck is $25 rt off peak. If any of your party is I think 12 or under, the fare is about $1 or so round trip. Sorry I can't quite remember, as my daughter is 13 now. Peak time will run a little more.

Forgot to add the trains from these stations are not frequent, but there are other lines closer in that would have much more frequent trains.

If you're coming from the Boston area, I would drive into New Haven (or Stamford) and park there - then take metro north into NYC. Here's their website:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/fares/choosestation.cfm

A roundtrip fare on metro north is significantly cheaper than Amtrak and parking at Union Station in New Haven is about $8-10/day. If you'd prefer to drive closer to the city, then I'd recommend parking in Stamford and grabbing metro north from there. Very easy - I don't recommend driving into NYC if you don't have to.

This looks like a great alternative for us. Thanks so much for the info. I KNEW one of the DIS would know this!

One more question, on the fare sheet it lists the prices. It also has Family fare-child. Does that mean if my child is travelling w/me that she gets that much reduced rate? Or does it means child on someones lap? Thanks again

I live just outside of New Haven, CT and I totally agree that driving here and taking Metro North is your best bet. The smaller towns on the shoreline have limited parking so I wouldn't recommend those...but New Haven has a large lot. From Boston it will take you about 2.5 hours to New Haven. The # for the parking authority there is 203-946-8936...they will be able to tell you what the cost is. Derby is also on the Naugatuck line suggested above...but I wouldn't leave my car there or Waterbury or Naugatuck or Ansonia for several days. LOL...if I didn't work you could park at my house and I'd drive you to the station!

Have a great trip!!

Yes, if you purchase the 'family' fare you pay for your ticket and then just $1 for each child up to 4 children (ages 5-11).And be sure to either buy your tickets online or at the kiosk machine at the station. If you buy it on the train they add an additonal charge.

Yup, New Haven is the answer!! I just ordered my tickets online yesterday for next weekend. The family fare was just $1.00 for my five year old! I think we paid $8.00 a night to park last year. We live outside of Providence and Amtrak is just too expensive. The web tickets are mailed with free postage and are supposed to arrive in 2-3 business days.

This looks like a great alternative for us. Thanks so much for the info. I KNEW one of the DIS would know this!

One more question, on the fare sheet it lists the prices. It also has Family fare-child. Does that mean if my child is travelling w/me that she gets that much reduced rate? Or does it means child on someones lap? Thanks again

You're very welcome! Looks like others have answered your family fare question, so I think you're good to go. Have a WONDERFUL adventure in the city - it's a wonderful place. My young children LOVE our adventures into NYC.

You guys are sooooooo great. I really appreciate your help so much. Now, while I have a captive audience, one more question. Is there a daily subway rate in NYC or pass? Or do you need to pay for each ride on its own? And is it a cash thing or do you buy froma kiosk?

Yes, if you purchase the 'family' fare you pay for your ticket and then just $1 for each child up to 4 children (ages 5-11).And be sure to either buy your tickets online or at the kiosk machine at the station. If you buy it on the train they add an additonal charge.

I will order them today

thanks again guys

You guys are sooooooo great. I really appreciate your help so much. Now, while I have a captive audience, one more question. Is there a daily subway rate in NYC or pass? Or do you need to pay for each ride on its own? And is it a cash thing or do you buy froma kiosk?

Yes you can purchase an unlimited ride metrocard (one day is $7, available at kiosks only):

http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?...ct/subway/index.html&frame=/frame/travel.html

Kids under 44" ride free.

You can buy an unlimited day subway pass for about $7 I think. They also have a weekly one. You can also just buy a regular pass at any of the kiosks at the subway entrances. One way on the subways is $2 so the unlimited may or may not be a good deal for you. If you buy a subway card with 5 trips ($10) you get one trip added on for free. You probably get more with a larger card, I just only buy occasional small cards.

I have to agree with everyone recomending taking metro north in, but definitely stick to the larger stations. (New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford). Parking can be a real issue at the smaller local stations. Even at the bigger stations get there early if you are traveling on a weekday. My SIL got to the New Haven station a bit late one morning (8am) and couldn't find a parking spot anywhere. She had to take a chance park it on the street and send my brother down later in the day to move it. She's never had a problem before, but still when going on vacatiion you wouldn't want to chance it. Stamford has a fairly large parking garage as well.

You can buy an unlimited day subway pass for about $7 I think. They also have a weekly one. You can also just buy a regular pass at any of the kiosks at the subway entrances. One way on the subways is $2 so the unlimited may or may not be a good deal for you. If you buy a subway card with 5 trips ($10) you get one trip added on for free. You probably get more with a larger card, I just only buy occasional small cards.

With the pay per ride Metro Card, you get 20% bonus on any amount over $10. So if you put $10 on your card, you get $12. If you put $20, you get $24, etc. Also, you can add more money to the card at any time through the ticket vending machines. More than one person can use the card though I believe there is a limit. Depending on how big your family is you may need to buy more than one.

If you can't guarantee that each person in your family is going to ride the subway at least 4 times/day, pay per ride may be the way to go.

Have fun in NYC!

As far as the subway goes, have a look at www.hopstop.com for both walking and subway directions. It even gives you an idea of how long it will take. We find this very, very helpful as it is sometimes difficult fumbling around for directions when traveling with a child.
Also, if you are looking for some restaurants near your hotels, go to www.menupages.com. I've find some great and inexpensive places this way.
If you are staying in the Times Square area, look at the west 40's and 50's.
The menus are there as well as reviews so it makes it helpful to decide on a few places esp someone is picky or if looking for kid-friendly dining.

Update--we had SUCH a great time!!!! Thank you all for helpng us figure out our logisitics. We parked @ Stamford and took the train into grand central--no problems at all.

A couple of budget minded things we found in the city that I hope you can all use sometime that we thought were awesome!

1. The museum of natural history and the Metropolitan Museum of Art both have "suggested donations" for admissions. Suggested is $20 for adults and $10 for students. You can offer them as little as $1 and they have to accept it. We told them we could afford $10 for our family of 4 and they said no problem!!! That was awesome!!:banana:

2. Central Park--rent a rowboat for an hour in Central Park Lake for $12.00--great deal and sooo relaxing and fun:cloud9:

3. Staten Island Ferry--free!! A great view of the statue of Liberty if you don't actually want to go out to the island.:woohoo:

We had a wonderful time--we spent too much money on other things, but life is short and we had soooooooo much fun!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter