Parking question

kwoo

Earning My Ears
We are coming to CA for the first time in a couple weeks. We are just going for the day. We are meeting my sister-in-law there. She lives in the LA area and will drive her own car, and we will follow her there, as we will be going separate ways a the end of the night.

My question is--is there a safe place for her to park her car for the day not at Disney? It's just her coming, so I'd hate for her to pay for parking when we have an extra spot in our car. She said she didn't think that there is anything on that exit. Is there some place an exit away or so?

TIA.

We are coming to CA for the first time in a couple weeks. We are just going for the day. We are meeting my sister-in-law there. She lives in the LA area and will drive her own car, and we will follow her there, as we will be going separate ways a the end of the night.

My question is--is there a safe place for her to park her car for the day not at Disney? It's just her coming, so I'd hate for her to pay for parking when we have an extra spot in our car. She said she didn't think that there is anything on that exit. Is there some place an exit away or so?

TIA.

Sure, there are residential areas around she could park in. You'll just have to watch for street cleaning and permit only areas.

TIA.

Well, you could opt for the 91 Park and Ride lot at the Junction of the 5 and 91 freeways, that is public parking that is safe and you won't be towed.

Located at the corner of Orangethorpe & Magnolia in Fullerton.

Sure, there are residential areas around she could park in. You'll just have to watch for street cleaning and permit only areas.

Nothing close, as an Anaheim Resident, we have plenty of special parking areas on city streets where a permit is required to keep the tourist out. And the entire Disneyland Resort area is marked as such.

I also wouldn't park in a private shopping center lot for "free", as they can tow,and many do.

I mentioned one lot that is run by the government and is free and no towing/ticketing issues if the car is removed overnight. (Such as 2 to 6 AM)

Nothing close, as an Anaheim Resident, we have plenty of special parking areas on city streets where a permit is required to keep the tourist out. And the entire Disneyland Resort area is marked as such.

I also wouldn't park in a private shopping center lot for "free", as they can tow,and many do.

I mentioned one lot that is run by the government and is free and no towing/ticketing issues if the car is removed overnight. (Such as 2 to 6 AM)

Sure, right around the resort probably. But off the top of my head I can think of three areas you could park in that are an exit or two away.

This comes up every once in a while, and to be clear, I do not recommend it. But it is possible.

Train stations! Both Anaheim and Fullerton train stations has free parking. I know the Fullerton one gives u 72 hour parking. im not sure about Anaheim but if its for a day, it should be fine!

I don't know about the 91 park and ride, but the one near me has started requiring that you scan your used TAP card to get your car out.

I don't know about the 91 park and ride, but the one near me has started requiring that you scan your used TAP card to get your car out.

TAP is a Los Angeles County thing, there is no gates or anything at the 91 Park and Ride, it is a large parking lot with a bus terminal (outdoors with multiple spots), lots of traffic and security cameras and regular visits by law enforcement due to contracts with the transit authorities.

I also would mention the Train Stations, but the 91 lot is right off the 5 and only a few miles north of Disneyland, so a good place to stop and switch, and then easy access to all 4 directions of the 5 and 91 freeways to let each party go where they need to go after the day's visit to the parks.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/octa-park-and-ride-fullerton

https://www.mapquest.com/us/california/business-fullerton/park-ride-351887085

TAP is a Los Angeles County thing, there is no gates or anything at the 91 Park and Ride, it is a large parking lot with a bus terminal (outdoors with multiple spots), lots of traffic and security cameras and regular visits by law enforcement due to contracts with the transit authorities.

I also would mention the Train Stations, but the 91 lot is right off the 5 and only a few miles north of Disneyland, so a good place to stop and switch, and then easy access to all 4 directions of the 5 and 91 freeways to let each party go where they need to go after the day's visit to the parks.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/octa-park-and-ride-fullerton

https://www.mapquest.com/us/california/business-fullerton/park-ride-351887085
All park & ride lots are under CA DOT. If some require proof or ridership, any could add it at any time.

Many Park and Ride lots are designed to promote Carpooling,so no need to use public transit.

The 91 lot is designed for this.

http://www.ie511.org/rideshare/park-and-ride

>>Park and Ride lots provide parking spaces so commuters can park and meet their carpool or vanpool, bicycle or walking group, or to take the bus or train to work. Some Park and Ride lots are designated Park and Ride lots, while others are privately owned parking lots with a number of reserved parking spaces dedicated to Park and Ride users. <<

The OP is a carpool IMHO, taking two cars and combining the passengers into one vehicle.

So is the LA lot specifically an LA Metro lot (or at least part of it), or is it a true Park and Ride to promote Carpooling?

EDITED to add: I know the BART system in the Bay Area has pay lots that require you enter the station (pay the fare) to pay for the parking validation to get you out. (Discounted rate as compared to full price).

But that isn't the case for the Park and Ride lots that are built by CalTrans, or at least in association with them near popular freeway intersections, as they promote folks driving their own cars to the lot,and then combine in the "suburbs" and CarPool downtown.

I can see Transit authorities that build lots next to their rail stations charging at some locations. I know that AMTRAK California does that, some lots are free, some require payment.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tm/docs/Park_and_Ride_Program_Resource_Guide.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tm/buspool.html

>>Caltrans administers more than 350 Park & Ride lots. The majority is located near freeways with HOV lanes. Many of these lots are used primarily by carpools and vanpools - they were not designed to accommodate express buses. Other lots are located inconveniently for expedient express bus operations.<<

Last edited:
I doubt the Fullerton one requires proof. Its general parking for all the bars/restaurants as well.

I doubt the Fullerton one requires proof. Its general parking for all the bars/restaurants as well.

The Fullerton Station parking is a mix of different lots owned by different entities, including Amtrak/Metrolink, OCTA and the city of Fullerton.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/stations/detail/station_id/97.html

>>
Parking
1,321 spaces / 9 handicapped spaces

Free parking.

72 hours max. limit in parking structure. 3 hour limit in other marked lots.

Additional parking available curbside along Santa Fe (north of station) and Walnut (south of station)

New parking structure on the west side of the station offers 814 spaces. The city is not currently charging for parking, but once they set the fees they will place notices with the date for it to take effect.<<

But why drive to Fullerton if you are coming down the I-5 freeway from the LA area? The 91 lot is right at the I-5 Junction at the 91. So quick and easy in and out of the lot and back on the I-5 to Disneyland Drive and the Mickey & Friends parking structure????

Or opt for the LA Metro Route 469 bus from the 91 Lot, about a 10 minute trip that runs every 30 minutes, It would be $4 Round Trip per person and drops you off next to the Main Entrance Plaza. So no need to pay for Disneyland Parking, dealing with the Toll Booth pack up, finding a parking space, and then taking the tram from the structure to the Main Entrance Plaza.

Something to think about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter