• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking question with wheelchair

jez4100

Mouseketeer
We will have a manual wheelchair and will be driving to the Magic Kingdom, we do not have a handicap tag. Will they allow us to take the wheelchair on the tram or do they have parking up front for those without handicap tags.

Thanks for your help.

You can take the wheelchair on the tram. You will have to fold it up while on the tram.

There is HC parking at the front of the lot but you do need the hang tag or HC vehicle tags.

I have on occasion run into trouble with CMs saying that I wasn't allowed to fold up the wheelchair and put it on the tram. We have generally ended up walking to the park entrance or our car under these circumstances, but, a few times we were told to park in the HC parking area even though we didn't have a tag for it. (I worried about taking a spot someone else needed and thus we've tried to make sure we are positioned such that we can walk to/from if needed.)

hematite said:
but, a few times we were told to park in the HC parking area even though we didn't have a tag for it.
NEVER comply!!! There's a fine - Cheshire Figment will confirm, but I think it's $250 - for parking in a handicap parking space without a valid plate/placard. "But the Cast Member told me to!" won't be a valid defense.

There is more information About parking in the disABILITIES FAQs thread
Bringing a folded wheelchair in the tram is no different than bringing a folded stroller - some of those are even bigger than a folded wheelchair.
NEVER comply!!! There's a fine - Cheshire Figment will confirm, but I think it's $250 - for parking in a handicap parking space without a valid plate/placard. "But the Cast Member told me to!" won't be a valid defense.
I think that is the correct amount for the fine.
The handicapped parking lots are patrolled periodically by the police, who can and do ticket.
I don't know about MK, but the other parks do have some non-marked spots in the handicapped parking lots. The designated handicapped spots are marked with blue painted lines dividing the spots. Some have a handicapped parking sign in addition. If you park in any of those marked handicapped parking spots without a valid handicapped parking permit, you risk getting a ticket.
Some of the lots also have some spots that are divided off with white paint. Those are not designated spots and you would not get a ticket for parking in one of those. They are for people who have some reason they can't use the parking lot tram - such as a wheelchair that can't be folded and/or held on the tram or an ECV, or they can't step up to get on the tram.
Some of the lots are small, so don't have room for even all the people with handicaaped parking permits - the Studio lot is one of those.

Some alternatives
- use WDW transportation if you are staying on site. That is especially good for MK since the bus drops you off very close to the park turnstiles and you avoid the parking lot tram and monorail or ferry boat. That is what most of us with wheelchairs and ECVs do for MK.

- use the drop off points for the park. For MK, it is at the TTC, so you will still need to use the ferry or monorail, but can at least avoid yhe parking tram. There is a drop off point for each park, let each CM you come to know that you want to drop someone off. After dropping them off, you exit and then reenter to park.

Don't worry, I haven't in years...that's why I've learned to do the walk from the parking to the gate when they wouldn't let us take the w/c...I agree though that it's smaller than some strollers.

I don't know about MK, but the other parks do have some non-marked spots in the handicapped parking lots. The designated handicapped spots are marked with blue painted lines dividing the spots. Some have a handicapped parking sign in addition. If you park in any of those marked handicapped parking spots without a valid handicapped parking permit, you risk getting a ticket.
Some of the lots also have some spots that are divided off with white paint. Those are not designated spots and you would not get a ticket for parking in one of those. They are for people who have some reason they can't use the parking lot tram - such as a wheelchair that can't be folded and/or held on the tram or an ECV, or they can't step up to get on the tram.

Hmmn...that sounds familiar, I may have parked in a white paint area without the designation.

But, like I said, we now just come prepared to do the longer walk if they won't let us on the tram.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter