Parking at the Treehouses....not happy!

We were seriously thinking about trying to get a THV for a future trip but this thread has put me right off.

We use our car a lot as we like eating off-site and I would be livid if I thought we would come back every evening unsure of getting a space in reasonable proximity to our villa.

Painting numbers would at least help draw attention to the problem. Although some people are selfish some are just plain stupid but if they see there is only one space with one number then it may at least make them think for a minute before parking there unfairly. (Even if it just stops a few it would help!)

As has been previously said I think the answer lies in multiple complaints. Yes it may end up costing SSR owners more just like the ridiculous bathroom scenario at BLT cost more but if in the end it makes staying onsite at your home resort a pleasurable experience then surely it is worth it?

I'm that someone AND I am not one tiny bit happy! I was told that they had to make sure that with the pool parking they had 1 space for each villa and a few extra. So, if they numbered them, then everyone would have a space. The problem is that they don't....AND they don't enforce the 1 car rule...AND some people are just jerks and care more about themselves than anyone else (like the guy next to me who I've now found out has 3 cars parked here).

Yep, that's right....3!

So, this afternoon when he is gone...I've decided I'm moving at least 1 of my 2 cars over here to the villa and then he can be shut out cause I'm not driving the rest of the vacation until it's time to head home.

Karen

Good for you!!! Let us know how he likes it!!! :thumbsup2

The problem is that there are no assigned spaces...(other than handicapped)....at all...period. This is per DVC Member Services, the Manager at SSR and the Security guys.

The "rule" is that you park only one car at THV and, if you have another, please park over at SSR in an area that they assign (either Paddock or Grand Stands, as I understand it). We do have 2 vehicles. We are fine with parking the second at SSR....the problem is that we can't even park 1 remotely close to the THV we are staying in. Why? Well, apparently because some rude individuals are parking 2+ (in one case, 4) cars near their villa.

My suggested resolution to Member Services was 1) number all spots, 1 per villa; 2) tell guests checking in that they receive only 1 parking permit for THV and as such, any vehicle without said permit will be ticketed and then towed 12 hours later.

I don't know who the idiot was that designed THV, but (as I learned today)...there are some areas with 5 villas and only 4 parking spaces! We just happen to be in an area where there are 2 villas and 2 parking spaces....and I'm not able to park in either. When I visited with my neighbor this morning and politely asked her to kindly move one car, I was basically told to go pound sand. And, you guessed it, guest services (ha...services...ha), is doing nothing to enforce parking rules.

Even as an owner, I was told to "find another spot" or park at SSR.

Yep, makes me glad I own at SSR. 315 vacation points for a week in a THV and I can't even park in a reasonabl distance from my villa. The spots just up the way are all filled....the ones down the way are all filled...I can park by the pool....but I'm up at the entry. Yep, that's just perfect :mad:!

Oh, and as far as the second car goes....it is at SSR! So is my first! I'm so frustrated I could spit nails!

that is really awful! i don't understand having a "parking" rule then not bothering to enforce it. what's the point of having said rule?! sometimes the stupidity of the disney service people astounds me.

I'm that someone AND I am not one tiny bit happy! I was told that they had to make sure that with the pool parking they had 1 space for each villa and a few extra. So, if they numbered them, then everyone would have a space. The problem is that they don't....AND they don't enforce the 1 car rule...AND some people are just jerks and care more about themselves than anyone else (like the guy next to me who I've now found out has 3 cars parked here).

Yep, that's right....3!

So, this afternoon when he is gone...I've decided I'm moving at least 1 of my 2 cars over here to the villa and then he can be shut out cause I'm not driving the rest of the vacation until it's time to head home.

Karen

good for you! i bet he does't like it one bit!

We were seriously thinking about trying to get a THV for a future trip but this thread has put me right off.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Treehouses have been open for over 3 years now and while these situations do occur, reports like this are very few and far between.

Disney faced a lot of issues with getting the Treehouses reopened. The area is designated protected wetlands so Disney could not develop any additional land. They were stuck with the villa footprints, roads and parking as created back in the 70s.

Labeling parking spaces would present an issue with service vehicles. Maintenance, housekeeping and security vehicles need to visit each of the villa groupings periodically and there aren't enough spaces for villa occupants and service vehicles.

Like other Disney resorts, some guests do not have a vehicle at all. Between the extra spaces (there are more than 60) and the vacancies left by some guests, there is typically room for everyone--even those who ignore the rules and park more than one vehicle.

Disney is very non-combative in most situations: child tickets and meals for 10 and 11 year olds, refillable mugs, number of room occupants, etc. So I really don't see them addressing this in any official capacity.

Our stay at the THV was in november and we didn't have too much problem with parking. There were always spots near our unit although we use a handicap placard and those spaces were always taken by cars that did not have them. I can walk short distances so I guess we were lucky.

We stayed there last Nov for 3 nights and only had a space near our unit on the last night because our neighbor next to us was using 2-3 spots/day, too.

We stayed there last Nov for 3 nights and only had a space near our unit on the last night because our neighbor next to us was using 2-3 spots/day, too.

Did you/can you complain to DVC member services? I think it's going to take an army of us to get them to change something!

K

Our stay at the THV was in november and we didn't have too much problem with parking. There were always spots near our unit although we use a handicap placard and those spaces were always taken by cars that did not have them. I can walk short distances so I guess we were lucky.

I'm so sorry. My father uses and handicap placard and it steams him when others park there (and me too). It's such a shame that some people just don't care.

K

I'm so sorry. My father uses and handicap placard and it steams him when others park there (and me too). It's such a shame that some people just don't care.

K

At that point, I would simply call the police. They're no longer ignoring Disney rules at that point, they're violating state laws.

At that point, I would simply call the police. They're no longer ignoring Disney rules at that point, they're violating state laws.
Maybe, maybe not. Not all states use the placard's that hang from the mirror. Some may also truly be HC but in a rental car, I'm not sure how this is handled either by the car agency or the state. While I think it's common for people to pull into a spot and run in somewhere inappropriately, I don't think it's common for people to park ongoing in a HC space. OTOH, maybe they decided to take one when there were no other spots and they should get ticketed if this is the case.

I hope you took pictures of your neighbors 3 cars with or without their permits displayed. Also, whenever speaking to the front desk tell them what you want. If they can't or won't provide it, take their name down and give them another option. If they still can't give you what you want demand compensation like a few free nights. The pictures could be shown at the desk when they're like "we don't know whose cars they are" or to when you write Disney when you return. It's just all about receiving what you were promised, 1 space by your villa.

I hope you took pictures of your neighbors 3 cars with or without their permits displayed. Also, whenever speaking to the front desk tell them what you want. If they can't or won't provide it, take their name down and give them another option. If they still can't give you what you want demand compensation like a few free nights. The pictures could be shown at the desk when they're like "we don't know whose cars they are" or to when you write Disney when you return. It's just all about receiving what you were promised, 1 space by your villa.

Except that you are NOT promised 1 space by your villa....you aren't promised parking at all...and they consider parking at SSR as adequate; though I don't.

Except that you are NOT promised 1 space by your villa....you aren't promised parking at all...and they consider parking at SSR as adequate; though I don't.

From http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/services-amenities/
Parking
  • Self-parking at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa is available near the hotel rooms.
Yup. :confused3 "Near" could be a 10 minute walk away in their eyes, and there's really no fighting that.

What I find curious though is that over at the campground every space and every 'cabin' has a place to park one car and/or rig. It's not written into the description online (other than a mention with the cabins that each unit has "curbside parking".) However, when you check in, like at the treehouses, they say if you have more than one vehicle, it must be parked in the outer parking area. (like the Tree houses this means a hike or take a bus to get to it). I've seen campsites with multiple cars parked outside it, and I've seen security talk to the campsite occupants. Over there it really is a matter of complying or being kicked out. They've had these rules since the 70s and I do recall a family near us being forced out.

From http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/services-amenities/

Yup. :confused3 "Near" could be a 10 minute walk away in their eyes, and there's really no fighting that.

What I find curious though is that over at the campground every space and every 'cabin' has a place to park one car and/or rig. It's not written into the description online (other than a mention with the cabins that each unit has "curbside parking".) However, when you check in, like at the treehouses, they say if you have more than one vehicle, it must be parked in the outer parking area. (like the Tree houses this means a hike or take a bus to get to it). I've seen campsites with multiple cars parked outside it, and I've seen security talk to the campsite occupants. Over there it really is a matter of complying or being kicked out. They've had these rules since the 70s and I do recall a family near us being forced out.

I wonder if the difference is Disney Resort vs Disney Vacation Club? I just know I don't get it and will be following up with DVC later this week. We've now checked out of the Treehouses and while the Treehouses are OK....the parking isn't.

What I liked about THV: very peaceful! The surroundings (aside from belligerent neighbors) are wonderful. The walking path to SSR is very nice. Just walking around in general was lovely. The boat doc was fun and the pool never seemed to have anyone there. Inside THV, the deck is wonderful. We enjoyed breakfast outside several days and drinks several evenings. The kitchen was fairly well laid out and had most things needed. Dining for 8 means 6 at the table and 2 at the bar stools which is OK.

What I didn't like so much: the THVs are very dark inside -- the lighting is poor. The master bathroom shower is also a problem as the shower doesn't seem to drain well which causes a "flood" into the main part of the bathroom if you use the rain head. We would up using the hand held and standing in the tub which was OK...but certainly not great. The bunk beds need to be advertised as "great for little kids" because they didn't fit my teen boys very well at all. So, when it comes to sleeping, I'd say the THVs sleep 3 couples, 1 single and 2 smaller children rather than simplying saying "9." Also, the master bedroom needs a bigger bed -- which is hard because the room is small. But a double bed does not a master make in my DH's opinion.

So, overall, I'm not sure I'd stay here again. I like the 2 beds at OKW best for a group of 8 (adults and teens) and would likely just do a 2 bed at SSR for a group of 6.

If you are contemplating THV for your stay, I'd recommend requesting a THV near the back (parking seems to be better back there), and remember that the bunk beds are small. If you go in with that information, you will be far better prepared than I was. Unfortunately for me, it made my vacation less than the Disney experience I expect.

Karen

Hi all,

We arrived yesterday for our long awaited family reunion vacation at the Treehouses to find that there was NO parking anywhere near our villa. We were further informed by Security that there is NO "assigned" parking and we were pretty much SOL. We are very close the to entrance and we were welcome to park over at SSR....ummmmmm.....NO!

Why don't they assign spaced to villas OR at the very least enforce the one vehicle rule?

Call me steaming mad!

K

Just checked out of my Tree House Villa yesterday where we stayed for 6 nights and I only got to park in the parking spot twice. I stayed in 7054 which was the first treehouse on the left after going through the security gate. The parking spot is parallel to the road for only one car. When we checked in on Sunday at 9:30 am we were delighted to find the treehouse ready for occupation. When we arrived, someone was in the space. The parking spot is so clearly for this unit that you had to be SELFISH to park in the spot. I blocked the car in so I could unload. When you get home at 10-12 pm and you are tired and you can't park in your spot. It is very annoying. Most nights, I actually pulled my car up the cement walkway toward the unit.

On Thursday morning, 2 cast members came to the door with a photo pass card with an autograph picture of Mickey. He said that wasn't a parking space. I said I know but what am I suppose to do. I have one car and I can't park at my unit. He agreed that the spots should be numbered.

The TreeHouse vacation was great except for this annoyance.

What I didn't like so much: the THVs are very dark inside -- the lighting is poor. The master bathroom shower is also a problem as the shower doesn't seem to drain well which causes a "flood" into the main part of the bathroom if you use the rain head. We would up using the hand held and standing in the tub which was OK...but certainly not great. The bunk beds need to be advertised as "great for little kids" because they didn't fit my teen boys very well at all. So, when it comes to sleeping, I'd say the THVs sleep 3 couples, 1 single and 2 smaller children rather than simplying saying "9." Also, the master bedroom needs a bigger bed -- which is hard because the room is small. But a double bed does not a master make in my DH's opinion.

Karen

Here is the description of the Treehouse Villas bedding situation, as taken from the DVC Member Website:

•1 queen-size bed with 4 pillows in the master bedroom
•1 master bathroom with whirlpool tub
•1 queen-size bed with 2 pillows in the 2nd bedroom
•1 set of twin-size bunk beds in the 3rd bedroom. Beds can accommodate someone 5'10" or shorter and under 300 lbs
•1 queen-size sofa bed plus 1 sleeper chair in the living room

Maybe, maybe not. Not all states use the placard's that hang from the mirror. Some may also truly be HC but in a rental car, I'm not sure how this is handled either by the car agency or the state. While I think it's common for people to pull into a spot and run in somewhere inappropriately, I don't think it's common for people to park ongoing in a HC space. OTOH, maybe they decided to take one when there were no other spots and they should get ticketed if this is the case.

All states will provide you with written documentation of the Handicapped Placard status at the very least, for travel.

If you find yourself at your destination in Florida without that documentation, you will be ticketed if you park in a Handicapped spot without displaying such documentation. Florida DMV advises to either have a Temporary FL Placard issued, or dispute the fine with written documentation sent to them after you get home, in which case the fine will be reduced, but there is still a fine even for anyone with Handicapped status parking in designated spots without displaying their Handicap documentation.

Best to try and plan ahead. :)

All states will provide you with written documentation of the Handicapped Placard status at the very least, for travel.

If you find yourself at your destination in Florida without that documentation, you will be ticketed if you park in a Handicapped spot without displaying such documentation. Florida DMV advises to either have a Temporary FL Placard issued, or dispute the fine with written documentation sent to them after you get home, in which case the fine will be reduced, but there is still a fine even for anyone with Handicapped status parking in designated spots without displaying their Handicap documentation.

Best to try and plan ahead. :)
I'm sure all states have a plan and realize that there are rules about documentation. My main point was that all states do not use the placard or at least have other alternatives. Some use stickers, some use tags as well. It's also common to see them laying on the dash rather than attached. The bottom line is that unless you go look at a given car to see if it's properly documented, it may be and a look at the rear view mirror may not reveal that. Also, while it may not be legal to park if you don't have the proper documentation, some may not know that and still be HC such that they need the HC parking. I have no patience or sympathy for someone who parks in a HC spot inappropriately and I've been chastised here in the past for even suggesting that some may take advantage of these options at times but some do. It's also easy to get a placard without actually needing it.

I'm sure all states have a plan and realize that there are rules about documentation. My main point was that all states do not use the placard or at least have other alternatives. Some use stickers, some use tags as well. It's also common to see them laying on the dash rather than attached. The bottom line is that unless you go look at a given car to see if it's properly documented, it may be and a look at the rear view mirror may not reveal that. Also, while it may not be legal to park if you don't have the proper documentation, some may not know that and still be HC such that they need the HC parking. I have no patience or sympathy for someone who parks in a HC spot inappropriately and I've been chastised here in the past for even suggesting that some may take advantage of these options at times but some do.

Of course, we all know claiming ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Florida DMV states:

According to the FDHSMV, the ticketing officer has a right to have your vehicle towed from the disabled parking spot. Besides being charged with a second class misdemeanor, you will also have to pay the tow fee and the lot impound fee.

Local communities cannot impose penalties less than the state minimum penalties, but they are free to impose penalties more than the state penalties. For example, state law says the officer MAY tow the vehicle, but in North Miami Beach, the local ordinance states the vehicle MUST be towed. Furthermore, this local ordinance states that the cost of towing and storage will result in a lien placed on the vehicle title.

Really not worth it for anyone to risk, and like John stated, at that point just call the police, not Disney, for those parking in the Handicapped parking spaces without documentation.

It's also easy to get a placard without actually needing it.

Really?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter