• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking at the Parks

luvmytwins02

Mouseketeer
So for our first trip to Disney, we stayed on site and used Disney transportation. This time around, we may stay off-site and rent a car. We are also going to do some side trips that don't include Disney parks. So, having NEVER driven to Disney parks and had to park and deal with traffic.....I am looking for some advice/tips on how to make this work smoothly.

How much does parking cost?

Easy in and out (or should we expect lines)---we are going Aug 16-23 (supposed to be crowd levels of 4)

Do we leave our car at one park and use busses to go between parks...or move the car each time. We will have park hopper passes

Parking is $17 per day. You can save your receipt from the first park and show it at the next park and not pay anything else if you visit two parks in a day. Depending on how late you stay it might be beneficial to use Disney Transportation (boat, or monorail because parks do not have buses running to another park at least as far as I remember they don't). This way you do not end up parking way away from the entrance.

You should expect lines if you're arriving around park opening and leaving around park closing. If you arrive or leave 30 minutes to an hour before then you should have no problem.

Thank you! So they do NOT have buses running between parks? Doesn't the monorail only go from MK to Epcot? How would we get to MGM or AK from MK?

I think Disney roads are wonderful and well-signed. Don't get too close to other cars like you might at home, as others could make sudden moves when they realize they're approaching their exit. Easy does it, you're on vacation...

Below is a road map of WDW property. The map shows ways to get to I-4 and the Turnpike for traveling outside of WDW. They're probably the key roads for you. Parking has just been raised to $17. Save your receipt, and you can park at different theme park lots-same day for no additional cost. If going to Epcot and MK on the same day, some people just park at the MK lot (TTC) because you can take the monorail to either park from there. If you're doing Epcot and HS same day, park where you'll be at the end of that day. In other situations, it's best to park your car at the park you're going to.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me.../en_us/PDF/walt-disney-world-property-map.pdf

Thank you! So they do NOT have buses running between parks? Doesn't the monorail only go from MK to Epcot? How would we get to MGM or AK from MK?

That's not correct. There is bus transportation between DHS (it hasn't been called MGM for a few years ;)) and MK, DHS and AK, and AK and Epcot. (I'm not sure if there is between DHS and Epcot because there's a boat or you can walk.)

That's not correct. There is bus transportation between DHS (it hasn't been called MGM for a few years ;)) and MK, DHS and AK, and AK and Epcot. (I'm not sure if there is between DHS and Epcot because there's a boat or you can walk.)
I took a bus from DHS to EPCOT in Oct 2013.

If you decide to use Disney Transportation and stay through park closing, it's a good idea to leave your car at the last park you will visit. Otherwise, your car could be at a park with an earlier closing time, in which case traveling back to pick up the car may not be possible. Also, at the end of the day, you'll probably be tired and not want more than 1 ride to get back to your hotel. There are long lines waiting for Disney Transportation, including the monorail. And bus trips often have many stops and can take 30+ minutes.

We stay on property for every trip but we always rent a car and drive everywhere. MK is the only park with a real distance between parking and the entrance. As for avoiding any traffic, best bet at Disney is always to get there when the parks open (helps us get a spot close the front) but based on the crowd calendars for your time of year, I don't think you'll have much of an issue.

14 days til we arrive!

This might be obvious but if you're going to park hop between MK and Epcot, it's better to park at the TTC/MK lot so you don't have to move your car. You just take the monorail back to your car from either park.

As far as short cuts to getting on property, it depends on where you are staying off course. If you're near the 192 area taking Sherbeth Rd to Osceola Parkway is a good shortcut into AK.

Parking is $17 per day at the major parks. It is free at Downtown Disney, Blizzard Beach, and Typhoon Lagoon.

So for our first trip to Disney, we stayed on site and used Disney transportation. This time around, we may stay off-site and rent a car. We are also going to do some side trips that don't include Disney parks. So, having NEVER driven to Disney parks and had to park and deal with traffic.....I am looking for some advice/tips on how to make this work smoothly.

How much does parking cost?

Easy in and out (or should we expect lines)---we are going Aug 16-23 (supposed to be crowd levels of 4)

Do we leave our car at one park and use busses to go between parks...or move the car each time. We will have park hopper passes

We stay on property every time and have a car every time. We mix it up but almost always end up driving and never ever have any complaint. We go from park to park too, no issues! :goodvibes

You can also take one of the "Friendships" to get between HS and EPCOT. It takes about the same amount of time as the bus ride, but it's more scenic and peaceful to float by Swan and Dolphin and Boardwalk as you cruise between the parks.

We always drive so we have a car and we drive to the parks. I've never had any problem driving to or from the parks. The parks are well marked along the roads so you can always find where you are going. We usually get to the parks some time in the morning, so you aren't too far away from the entrance (I haven't tried going in the evening and parking). The only thing different we tried this last time a few weeks ago is taking the bus from the resort to Magic Kingdom. Since you have to park at the TTC at Magic Kingdom and then take the monorail or ferry over, I had heard taking the buses were quicker, because they drop you off right near the entrance. And this worked. I found it so much quicker doing it this way. The only thing is one time leaving Magic Kingdom around 4:30 and heading back to the resort the bus was so packed and we had to stand. This wasn't fun with a stroller and 2 small kids. But other than that, it was a lot easier to take the bus to MK. :)

I was amazed the first time I drove how quickly you can get everywhere. I would recommend it to anyone visiting. The cost is more for parking if you don't have an AP, but IMO it is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter