Parking at Disneyland - does this idea make sense?

We went last June for 3 days and we stayed way off site at the Double Tree. We had the same concern as you ... we didn't like the idea of our DD not in a car seat. So we decided to drive in. We got to the Garage just when it opened (30 minutes before park opening) and we were at the enterance plaza before the gates opened. It was really easy for us. I would not have wanted to drag DD, stroller, and diaper bag on ART, what a pain. The other great thing about driving is that we left in the middle of the day to go back to the hotel and put DD down for a nap, she fell asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel so we were able to put her straight into bed. Driving worked out really well for us.

Have Fun!

That is great to know!! Thanks so much!

Well, we never did make it to rope drop. I did learn that the parking garage open 1 hour prior to opening, at least that's what the Parking CM said. Thursday we got to the parking toll booth at 9:40am, the opening was at 10am. It was a lot more crowded and we barely made it to the gate by 10, just shortly after I think. The big hold up was the security bag check. There was a long line there. It seems that there were a lot more people there early. I guess if we would have made it to the parking structure by 9am, it would have been a different story, but we were driving from Newport Beach. Still, with all the people that were there, we never waited in a line for more than 20 minutes, and waiting for 20 minutes was rare.

If I had to do it all over again, I would save up the money and stay onsite at a place that I could walk to the park. While the place we stayed was beautiful with a beach front view, it was not ideal for DL. Hope that helps some.

Well, we never did make it to rope drop. I did learn that the parking garage open 1 hour prior to opening, at least that's what the Parking CM said. Thursday we got to the parking toll booth at 9:40am, the opening was at 10am. It was a lot more crowded and we barely made it to the gate by 10, just shortly after I think. The big hold up was the security bag check. There was a long line there. It seems that there were a lot more people there early. I guess if we would have made it to the parking structure by 9am, it would have been a different story, but we were driving from Newport Beach. Still, with all the people that were there, we never waited in a line for more than 20 minutes, and waiting for 20 minutes was rare.

If I had to do it all over again, I would save up the money and stay onsite at a place that I could walk to the park. While the place we stayed was beautiful with a beach front view, it was not ideal for DL. Hope that helps some.

That's great to know, thanks! We're already staying offsite and not in walking distance (but it doesn't sound like as far of a drive), and I think we're going to drive still. It sounds like our "plan" may still work, especially if the big hold up is the bag check (our "plan" is that DH would drop DD and me off and then go park and meet up with us, either before the gate or after)... if we bring all the stuff with us, he would be able to skip the bag check lines, right? It sounds like the rest of your lines were great - that's what we're used to at WDW, since we've been off-season, but we're not sure what to expect during what's technically Spring Break time. I guess we'll find out! :) Thank you SO much for the info!:cool1:

Your husband will not be able to "skip" the bag check lines since there are currently no designated "no bag" lines. He will have to wait in line and be passed through by the checkers as a visitor with no bags along with people who have bags.

Your husband will not be able to "skip" the bag check lines since there are currently no designated "no bag" lines. He will have to wait in line and be passed through by the checkers as a visitor with no bags along with people who have bags.

Oh, bugger. I thought they had a bag line and a no-bag line at WDW (but maybe I'm wrong) but I guess it doesn't matter if they don't have one at DL anyway. :) Oh well, he'll still be faster without us in tow.

Nope...I really wish they would make one like WDW though. We visit DL quite often and usually without bags. It is a hassle waiting to go through those lines. You are right though, it will be much easier without tons of stuff to carry.

Yeah, it stinks that they don't... I'm sure there are many who visit without much to carry, and they shouldn't have to wait behind us moms with a big old diaperbag full of junk! ;)

Please note that yesterday the parking garage did not open until 30 minutes prior to MM and there was a HUGE line of cars--I did not get parked until almost 10 minutes of 8 and after taking the tram (luckily no line) and waiting through security got to the front gate after MM had started (and there was another line). So got into the park 10 minutes into MM time.

Will not make that mistake again.

BTW, I noticed several people being turned away from the front gate--didn't know whether they were intentionally trying to sneak in during MM or if they couldn't read the "early admission" signs . . . . .

we rarely have trouble with the parking. then again, we rarely go first thing in the morning. we've found it we actually wait a little while, it goes quicker. and we're really not losing that much time in the parks.

also, if there is a HUGE wait for the trams...we'll just walk from the parking structure to the park. it's less than a mile which isn't too bad at all.

You can stay off site in walking distance, just stay on Harbor anywhere near the main DL crosswalk.

We stayed with my brother (30 minutes from DL) when we visited last year, so we always drove. And other than the fact that we're just really slow getting out of the car, and those shops in downtown disney really lure us in (haha!) we would have had no problem getting to the park ontime, we probably arrived at the parking lot 30 minutes before opening and could have easily made it well before opening every day. Didn't, but could have. Maybe it was just when we went, but we had no problems.

liz2d2, I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about the carseat issue. :) What time have you gotten to the parks (I mean how long after opening)?

The carseat thing for us is non-negotiable. Makes it easier to get a good deal on a hotel, since we're likely to be driving anyway it doesn't matter if we're staying right there at the gate.

We usually roll into the parks around noon. We've been there so many times that we don't feel that urge to do everything RIGHT NOW, it makes for a really relaxed way to tour.

Now, when we're at WDW, that's a different and much more tiring story... ;-)

Have a wonderful trip!

What are the rates for parking? We wonder if its easier to use the shuttle from the hotel (Peacock Suites) or use the car each day. Any ideas?:confused3

I have to agree, we've found this week that it often takes an hour from garage to park or park to garage. I was actually surprised by this. I never bothered to time it much before. If I go with a hotel in the future, It will definately be walking distance!

I hate that there are not any express lines. This week we had one lady who was very studious about searching. She even made me lift my shirt to the beltline to make sure that there was not contriband there! I would have objected but she confiscated a large box cutter from a guy just two ahead of me. (Why, bring a boxcutter to Disneyland?) So, I figured she was pretty much doing what she is paid to do. (besides, I know of two peace officers that were surprised to find that they walked through security at Disneyland with their service weapons on their persons.

What are the rates for parking? We wonder if its easier to use the shuttle from the hotel (Peacock Suites) or use the car each day. Any ideas?:confused3

$11/day for the garage- $56 ( I think) for the addition of parking onto your annual pass. (since we parked all week, the parking addition paid for itself this trip.) The Bus would have cost us $8/day and we would have had to stop at all of the the other places between here and there! I understand a cab is much more affordable for a family and provides door to door service. If I wasn't in walking distance, that is the way that I would go.

I have to agree, we've found this week that it often takes an hour from garage to park or park to garage. I was actually surprised by this. I never bothered to time it much before. If I go with a hotel in the future, It will definately be walking distance!
I agree. It takes longer to get from the garage to the park than just walking from one of the motels on Harbor.

I hate that there are not any express lines. This week we had one lady who was very studious about searching. She even made me lift my shirt to the beltline to make sure that there was not contriband there! I would have objected but she confiscated a large box cutter from a guy just two ahead of me. (Why, bring a boxcutter to Disneyland?) So, I figured she was pretty much doing what she is paid to do.
I wish they would make express lines too! Boxcutter?!:scared1: Geez!

$11/day for the garage- $56 ( I think) for the addition of parking onto your annual pass. (since we parked all week, the parking addition paid for itself this trip.) The Bus would have cost us $8/day and we would have had to stop at all of the the other places between here and there! I understand a cab is much more affordable for a family and provides door to door service. If I wasn't in walking distance, that is the way that I would go.

What about ART? It's $12 per adult for 5 days, and a lot cheaper than that for kids. Granted you would have to stop at various stops, but if cost is important and distance is a factor, it would be the way to go. I've never had any problems with ART like some people describe, however, you do have to get to the stop early. In other words, no dilly-dallying around after park closing to buy souvenirs. (Which I do like to do, which is why I stay within walking distance.):cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter