Parking at Boardwalk

]

All the resorts have a 3 hour limit for dinner and visits, If you stay longer you may be towed. There have been more and more reports on cars being towed.

The bottom line is people staying at a resort want to be able to park there.:thumbsup2

AKK

When we came back from WDW this past Feb, I posted about seeing a car towed at the Contemporary. We saw it as we were walking over from the MK and walked out into the parking lot, because my grandson wanted to see the "big tow truck" pulling the car up onto the bed of the tow truck. Not sure if it was because it had been parked there all day or if it was broke down, but did see a block thingy attached to one of the back wheels where it couldn't be driven and the only people standing there was the tow truck driver and some CM in a suit (no one that looked like a tourist).

purple figment said:
Just because you've done it, doesn't make it right and should not be something you recommend that others do. As I said and others have also said on this thread, parking at the Epcot resort lots is for dining, shopping and enjoying the resort and NOT for all day theme park parking.

That may be true but when I did it for the first time I didn't know about the time limit. It wasnt until last year when we went to chef mickeys for breakfast that i found out and to be honest thought it was just for the CR. When we went to the guard booth and told him why were there he didn't say anything other than enjoy. I do believe that when the crowds are low the rules are a little different.

We are going to be down there Oct 27th-Nov 4th and have dining reservations at Cape May. Where are we supposed to park?:confused3 We would not be using it for park admission, but need to park somewhere long enough to eat. Do they still allow people with ADRs to park long enough to eat or are we going to have to park all the way over at the Hess station?
You can always park at the resort you are eating/shopping at. But you can't always count on being able to leave the car for the day and heading to a park. You are free to park at YC/BC for your Cape May adr.

I visit resorts I'm not staying at all the time. It's been YEARS since I was told there is a 3 hour time limit when parking at any resort. I've parked at Contemporary, Polynesian, BoardWalk, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, and all the Mods. to name a few.

The guard asks if he can help me, I tell him why I'm there and he waves me through after I show him my ID. Maybe that's not the case all year. I'm usually there August, September, January or May. Perhaps during peak seasons they're more strict about parking.

Disney wants people to visit BoarkWalk and spend their money. I don't think they expect you to park at the Hess station and walk from there. I never do.
If you are visiting Boardwalk, and eating or shopping there, then fine..park there, in guest parking. But, guest parking is not for those who head to The Bakery, at 8am, grab a donut, and then go to Epcot for the day. You can park at a resort if you are using the facilities of that resort. Going to a park for the day isn't 'using the facilities'..plain and simple.
Will you get towed? Probably not. But in all reality, long term resort parking is for those paying to stay at that resort....not for those who want easier park access. Those paying to stay at these resorts are paying for that park access, and it bugs the heck out of me when I see others taking that perk I am paying for.
I know that some have said that having a resort parking permit allows you to park anywhere on WDW property. But that's not exactly correct. It allows you to get free parking at the parks, and it allows you to show that you are entitled to long term parking at the resort you are paying to stay at. And that's it.

I would hate for some to think it's fine to park at BW whenever they want to, and then be turned away due to some special event. And that happens, a lot.

If anyone is worried about breaking the rules,or getting towed, there is parking at the mini golf fantasia gardens across the street from the swan.

There are NO signs anywhere that say parking only for mini golf or Disney guests. In a pinch you could park here & walk through the swan grounds to get to the boardwalk.

If anyone is worried about breaking the rules,or getting towed, there is parking at the mini golf fantasia gardens across the street from the swan.

There are NO signs anywhere that say parking only for mini golf or Disney guests. In a pinch you could park here & walk through the swan grounds to get to the boardwalk.
Wow...that's going to be long walk to Epcot or DHS!! Better to just park in the regular parking lot at the park!!!
Besides, I'm pretty sure that they intend parking there to be for those using Fantasia Gardens. But, there will always be those looking to circumvent the intent.

Yikes, there's no way I'd make that walk just to save $14 or whatever theme park parking is these days. In fact, I'd pay twice that just to avoid that hike. :lmao: That's gotta be about five times more walking than you'd do if you parked in the Epcot lot.

Not jumping on you, tuckerkeys, I've seen that posted as a tip on the boards before. That's a case where skirting the Disney rules carries its own punishment....

If you are visiting Boardwalk, and eating or shopping there, then fine..park there, in guest parking. But, guest parking is not for those who head to The Bakery, at 8am, grab a donut, and then go to Epcot for the day. You can park at a resort if you are using the facilities of that resort. Going to a park for the day isn't 'using the facilities'..plain and simple.
Will you get towed? Probably not. But in all reality, long term resort parking is for those paying to stay at that resort....not for those who want easier park access. Those paying to stay at these resorts are paying for that park access, and it bugs the heck out of me when I see others taking that perk I am paying for.
I know that some have said that having a resort parking permit allows you to park anywhere on WDW property. But that's not exactly correct. It allows you to get free parking at the parks, and it allows you to show that you are entitled to long term parking at the resort you are paying to stay at. And that's it.

I would hate for some to think it's fine to park at BW whenever they want to, and then be turned away due to some special event. And that happens, a lot.

Okay since you quoted me before your comment above I have to assume you are addressing your comment to me. I never said I was parking there to do anything other than visit the resort and eat. I know exactly when and where I can park. I've been doing it for many years.

The point of my post was that people are saying the parking rule is 3 hours. I think this comes from back when they used to give you a card to put on your dashboard and they would write the date and time on the card. There was a 3 hour limit then but I haven't been given one of those cards in years. I'm sure it's been at least 5 years, probably longer. I'd like to see where this 3 hour rule is written. Until then I won't believe it's real until a guard tells me so.

By the way, I'm not saying anyone should park at BW, eat a donut and go to Epcot for the day. I don't condone that and I've never done it. Why would you assume I have?

If your visit is during the Food and Wine Festival I do not think you should anticipate being able to park at any of the Epcot resorts for the full day unless you are staying there. They are reportedly giving out the 3 hour cards for guests with an ADR. At Boardwalk you should probably anticipate using the auxiliary lot by the Hess station for your ADR unless you are a Boardwalk guest.

Nope, can't do that either. It is for the golf not Epcot. And they frequently havea CM stationed there stopping cars and checking when you park. This is especially true during F&W.

Just like the resorts, it can't handle all the people who would look for free parking so they do monitor it especially when they have to. Enough people start doing this and the will put in a permanent guard. That's why the resort guards came back, they weren't always there.

Tonka's Skipper said:
The bottom line is people staying at a resort want to be able to park there.:thumbsup2

That's it exactly. The lots simply aren't big enough to accommodate anything but the resort's own guests and ADRs. The resort's own guests have to be able to find parking at their home resort.

For those who might think its ok to break the rules, think of how you would feel if you came back to your home resort and couldn't find a spot. You would expect to be able to park. It would be a horrible feeling not to find one and it is. And it does happen frequently at the monorail and Epcot resorts. So, breaking the rules means you are willing to ruin someone else's day and trip.

So this is what it comes down to, show the same respect to those at the resort you are visiting as you would expect to get at your home resort.

Bottom line is that Disney Security does a terrible job of enforcing the "parking rules".
Take the Boardwalk for example.
The lot is always full or close to being full most of the time - after Epcot closes the lot is always half empty.
People will always try to get away with parking at the resorts and then going to the parks, and unless WDW changes how they police the lots this problem will never go away.

We will be staying at BWV in August, and for the first time we will have a car with us. I have read a little bit about the distance of the parking lot from the resort so we will plan that when our room is ready, we unload the car at the entrance and one of us parks the car while the other gets the bags to the room from there (rather than from the lot). This is the best way, right? Reading through this thread, it seems that there is a self-park lot, a valet lot, and an over-flow lot -- is this correct? As a BWV guest, I could use valet (anyone know the daily rate?) or self-park; hopfully wouldn't be so full that I need the over-flow lot! I am already anticipating a lengthy walk through the resort as I have read about loooooong hallways. Would it be too much for a family to self-park, walk to the resort, and walk THROUGH the resort to their room after a full day in the park? Maybe best is just to wait until we are there and see for ourselves; I know it's different for everyone as far as how much walking it too much, etc. But any thoughts on that would be great; thanks! Also, if we get there before 4pm check-in time on arrival day, can we still leave our car there even though we don't have a room assigned yet, or is that a no-no?

KSL said:
We will be staying at BWV in August, and for the first time we will have a car with us. I have read a little bit about the distance of the parking lot from the resort so we will plan that when our room is ready, we unload the car at the entrance and one of us parks the car while the other gets the bags to the room from there (rather than from the lot). This is the best way, right? Reading through this thread, it seems that there is a self-park lot, a valet lot, and an over-flow lot -- is this correct? As a BWV guest, I could use valet (anyone know the daily rate?) or self-park; hopfully wouldn't be so full that I need the over-flow lot! I am already anticipating a lengthy walk through the resort as I have read about loooooong hallways. Would it be too much for a family to self-park, walk to the resort, and walk THROUGH the resort to their room after a full day in the park? Maybe best is just to wait until we are there and see for ourselves; I know it's different for everyone as far as how much walking it too much, etc. But any thoughts on that would be great; thanks! Also, if we get there before 4pm check-in time on arrival day, can we still leave our car there even though we don't have a room assigned yet, or is that a no-no?

Yes, we always handle the luggage / checkin as you are suggesting. After we unload, DH parks the car and meets us at check in. We use bell services to handle our luggage. Valet parking is $14 /day + tips. You really don't know until you get your room assignment whether you will have a long walk or not so I wouldn't worry about that. And yes you can park in the lot even if your room is not ready.

OP here. I think all of the responses on this thread demonstrate how complicated planning a trip to Disney World can be! As previously indicated, DH and I will just park at Epcot for the afternoon and move the car to the Boardwalk before dinner. Easy enough, especially since we are staying onsite!

The Disney Word website itself is what actually led to my confusion on the parking at Boardwalk issue. Disney makes it pretty clear that parking at the resort hotels is free for three hours and for use while visiting the resort for a meal or other activities. But it bills the Boardwalk as a destination in its own right - playing up the entertainment, dining, and shopping. It also says (right on the Boardwalk page in the section labeled Transportation), "For park guests choosing to drive, complimentary self parking is also available. Disney's BoardWalk is also within walking distance to the International Gateway to Epcot theme park." There is NO mention of a time limit or that parking is limited to resort guests. I assumed that maybe the Boardwalk had an extra big parking lot. I'm glad to know in advance that isn't the case.

I think these Boards are awesome! I'm glad to have a place to head where I can get good advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter