Parking and the three hour limit

When we're coming from a Publix or Universal stop, we don't have the pass because we put it away. No need to have people in parking lots outside of WDW knowing for 100% sure that we're tourists. We sometimes forget to put them back up. We sometimes forget to put them in our car at all. And that has been happening since our first trip. Flash a keycard and go on through. Or flash an ID and go on through. Even with MBs we haven't used those b/c it's annoying at the gate, so we show ID when going through the guard side of a gate of a place that isn't ours.

If Disney isn't telling us in person about the 3 hour rule, even if I don't use the lots for themepark parking (except the one time when I was flat out TOLD to do so, by a passel of concierge desk CMs at Poly (when I went to ask how to move to the MK lot), for the hour or so we were going to wander MK after our Kona breakfast), how is a guest supposed to know of the rule? It's mystifying. If the only way we know about osmething is because of a message board, are we SURE it's a rule?

Like the "get there 3 hours 15 minutes" rule the Dis talks about with DME. When CMs at WL were wondering why we were there so early, and wondering why we were worrying about our bus not being there yet, they ALL thought we were loony for thinking we should expect the bus that early. When it showed up about 2.5 hours before our flight they actually felt it was on the early side. (and we were NOT the last stop) To a CM they had never heard of the guidelines of being ready for DME 3.25 hours before the flight. And yet on the Dis that's what we tell people.
Odd that the CMs were surprised about 3 hr DME pick up, since without fail our DME pick up times have always been 3 hrs before flight time. They tell you to be at bus pick up 15 min ahead just in case bus is ahead of time. Or because if they tell you to be there at DME pick up time, people will be late. Even with stated times, we waited about 10 min for a family to get to bus. Guess they thought everyone should wait on them. We were first pick up.
I'm comfortable with the 3 hrs ahead, because if at every pick up, people were late, it will delay you 20-30 min possibly, and then there's possible traffic delays, and huge security lines at MCO. I'd rather be early then stressing if I'll be late. One time I arrived at Ft Lauderdale airport 90 min ahead because of freeway accident and they refused to check me in, pointing to the huge security line, and rebooked me on a later flight :-(.

Recent visitors report that the paper parking passes aren't being used so much anymore. They are scanning magic bands at the gates to the lots instead.
Interesting! We arrive in a rental car, because we fly into Ft Lauderdale first to visit family so we go thru resort gate and show ID, at check in I've always been given a parking pass that I decline because after check in I return rental. Our last stay was in January. Can't remember if they offered paper parking pass!

We stayed at CBR just this past December. We used a car service so I can't speak to resort guests being given a pass or hang tag. However, my sister and her husband came to visit us for one day. They're Florida residents and drove their car to CBR. She said that at the gate they were asked their reason for coming to CBR and her husband replied that they were coming to visit some friends who were staying there. They were not asked for our names or our room number but her husband, as the driver, was asked to show his driver's license. They don't think the guard wrote anything down from it though and they were not given a time limit of how long they could stay or a parking pass.

Later we decided to go over to the Boardwalk to walk around and get something to eat. We took their car and at the gate for the Boardwalk the guard asked what our purpose was for visiting, her husband told him (walk around and eat), he asked if we had an ADR at Flying Fish, we didn't, and then he told us to park in the lot across the street. He didn't ask for ID's, Magic Bands, give us a pass or tell us there was a time limit.

We walked all along the Boardwalk area, went over to the Yacht and Beach Club to look at the Christmas decorations, had something to eat, took photos ... easily we were there 5 hours and their car was waiting for us in the same spot when we got back to it. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
you know there were signs at one time - will look and see if there are still signs about the 3 hours or not.

I have always gotten a parking pass - and so far only one time at the Poly (when I stayed there) did someone look at the MB.

I think it really boils down to how busy the resort is, and which resort it is. Resorts with walking to park capabilities are more likely to hand them out than resorts where you would have to use Disney transportation to get to a park. It's more likely during peak season than lower seasons. I have seen tow trucks in the CR parking lot on a few occasions, but couldn't say whether they were towing a disabled car or one that had simply overstayed their welcome.

I have been turned away from a resort one time when they had a convention in house and weren't letting anyone park at the resort other than resort guests (I had an ADR at one of the restaurants). But I feel that's the exception rather than the norm.

Personally, I have never received a three hour pass, but I don't tend to go to the parks during peak season unless I stay on site (in which case, I would opt for Disney transportation) and I usually don't park at resorts unless I'm staying there (other than the occasional ADR). I did get a citation on my windshield for being a cast member parked in guest parking once - and I've never worked for Disney! That made for an interesting souvenir . . . .

A citation for a CM parked in guest parking! That is really odd since CMs don't have any type of parking passes (unless it's food and wine and that is to park in their own cast parking). Further my daughter is a CM and I regularly take her to work and then use her car and have never encountered such a thing! Plus CMs park in guest parking all the time when they are guests. That is just weird and you are right that was quite a souvenir you got!

Liz

I agree with fla4fun. We always have our car and take it for a ADR's at other resorts. Sometimes they just ask you what your doing, think mods or values. Sometimes they ask and also for an id, like BWI. Can't remember if a scan last trip, but believe when we ate at 1900 we were given a paper to put on windshield. Don't believe anyone's ever said 3 hours, but that wouldn't pertain to us anyway, ad you don't need that long to eat and check it out. I think it does just pertain to which resort and how subject to abuse it could be.

I did regular front desk check in in Oct at POR and was offered a paper pass. In April at CBR, and in May at AoA and Pop, I did online check in and completely bypassed the lobby. I did not receive any paper pass at all. I had a car at CBR and simply scanned my MagicBand to enter. When I visited other resorts with my car, the guards scanned my MagicBand with a handheld scanner. No mention of time limits from anyone.

I park at resorts for meals, have never been told there was a three hour limit, I've always just told them I have an ADR, and presented my ID. Once, ONCE at Poly, when it was a fairly busy day, (I think Memorial Day weekend)they scanned my band to make sure I had an ADR (this was also when part of the parking lot was under construction) But even then, they didn't tell me I had to be out at a certain time.
I prefer valet parking, I've stayed parked for over three hours, and no one has ever said anything.

Yes, it said if I parked in guest parking again, I would be reported to my manager! I really don't think my manager would have cared that I was parked at a Disney resort having dinner . . . .Since it didn't say I would be towed or anything I didn't worry too much about it. That was at CR, which is very sensitive to making parking available to their resort guests. That's the only resort I have seen tow trucks taking cars out of the lot from as well, but as I said, I don't know if they were disabled cars that needed repair or cars that outstayed their welcome. It was late afternoon/early evening when I saw them though. I don't recall seeing any signs specifically mentioning a time limit for parking at any resort either. I have seen signs that the resort parking lot is for guests of the resort, but those were temporary signs that could be put out or taken in as needed.

In recent years they do not give out passes to visitors cause they don't need to. It's not hard to tell whose a resort guest and who isn't. Next time check out the camera at the entrance, yep they do know when you arrived.

However, pass or no pass doesn't matter, the lots are still marked as not for theme park parking. In practice it's three hours and they can tow if needed. It all comes down to courtesy to the resorts own guests. They have no other option but to park at their home resort. You as a visitor do have options. There is nothing worse than coming back to your home resort and finding no parking. It DOES happen.

So, this thread is basically meaningless. Pass or no pass doesn't matter. What does matter is whether you are willing to show others the same courtesy you likely would expect others to give you.
I'm not sure how they can tell, just by looking at a car, if that car belongs to an overnight resort guest! We are hearing of more and more instances where guests are not given a parking pass when they check in. I know that when I was being dropped off at WL, by a friend who is also a CM, I had to hand her my MB to give to the guard..he scanned it and allowed us to go through.
I almost think that the '3 hr parking' limit is becoming an urban myth!! And as for those cameras, to what point are they taking photos? Sure, they have a photo of my car/plate. Is it registering in the system somehow that I am entitled to park there, long term? I doubt it. I think they take photos in case there's an incident, they can then track any cars that entered.

Signage? I have never seen signage that states a 3 hr limit. I have, though, seen signage that states parking is for resort guests only, not for theme park access. It usually happens during busy times of year, or if there is a convention going on at that resort. It's pretty obvious that Disney just doesn't care about parking issues. If they did, they would provide key accessed lots. Then, a public lot for short term parking. They could even have you pay for parking if you are there longer than that 3 hr period. A win-win for Disney. It's just not a big enough issue for them.

I almost think that the '3 hr parking' limit is becoming an urban myth!!
That's pretty much what led me to make the original post on this thread. Or at least the part about being given a paper pass for that.

OK, but what about those who don't stay on site? Not trying to be argumentative, but not everybody going to a resort is a WDW resort guest. They would need to have a provision to handle those folks.
Off site guests don't get free parking at the theme parks so no need to scan anything at those lots. AP holders just show their AP if they haven't yet obtained a MB. At the resorts, it's the same as it is now- Check in with the guard at the gate who can check the ADR list and/or just allow them in to shop or look around.

We were there last Sept and stayed at the POR-R. We were given a paper pass, but were also scanned at every resort we went to: AOA, Poly, & WL. Every gate we came to, they scanned our MB. Like someone else suggested, sounds like the parking rules are being done inconsistently at resorts. :sad2:

My sister and I went to the Boardwalk late morning a month ago. You can park at the Boardwalk itself and they also have an overflow lot across the street (which they apparently use in the evenings if the Boardwalk are gets crowded). The guard at the gate asked us what we were there for. We told him we just wanted to visit the Boardwalk itself and look around. He showed us where to park in the public parking area and said that if it was going to be more than 3 hours that we would need to use (and pay for) valet parking instead.

We were there 6/20-6/27/15 and drove to Poly, Contemporary and Boardwalk for dinner, all 3 times when we drove up to the guard we told them what we were doing and they asked for Photo ID and waved us in. No mention of time limit and we were not given a paper pass.

We were staying at CBR and they did have a MB reader on the gate to the resort, we just scanned a band and the gate opened. We also had a Paper pass which we were told was for parking at the parks.

We are going in a few months and my Uncle is coming up from Ft. Lauderdale to spend the day at Grand Floridian with us (and bring me groceries). He will be there longer than 3 hours. What do I do about this? Talk to the front desk?

We are going in a few months and my Uncle is coming up from Ft. Lauderdale to spend the day at Grand Floridian with us (and bring me groceries). He will be there longer than 3 hours. What do I do about this? Talk to the front desk?

Yes just let them know at check in and they will let you know what to do. Or he can pull up to the gate and say I am here to visit my niece and I have her groceries...The guard will likely ask to see an ID and then tell him where to park. I have parked at the GF probably a half dozen times this year for various reasons and not been given a time limit or a parking pass.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter