Park Suggestions for 5 Day Trip

emzben25

Mouseketeer
We'll be at WDW during the last week of November 2018 and will be spending 5 full days in the parks.

We plan to spend 1 full day at each park. We're debating which park to go to for the fifth day (or should we get a park hopper so we can potentially go to 2 parks on the fifth day?). The original plan was to go to each park once and then on the last day decide which one we want to repeat. However, on the last day, Magic Kingdom closes a 6PM. So now I'm wondering if we should get park hoppers so we can park hop after MK closes (or not go back to MK and go to another park on our last day).

More background. We're from CA and had Disneyland annual passes last year. So I'm unsure if we want to spend 2 days in Magic Kingdom (convince me otherwise if I'm wrong!).

We've also been to Epcot a few times before so we're not sure if we want to spend 2 days there this trip (unless there is a lot more to do and see because of the holidays). That leaves Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Are either of those parks 2 full day parks or 1.5 day parks? I know a lot of will be contingent upon what we like to do. We mostly like rides and enjoying the atmosphere (not as big on dining but we do have a few TS reservations). Just wanted to hear some ideas out there.

I've done my research on park hoppers and understand the pros/cons. Is it worth it in my situation? Or should I just stick with base tickets and pick 1 day to repeat? If no park hopper, which park would be the best park to repeat in light of my background (I know most people will normally say MK but since we're from CA I'm unsure)?

Thanks!

ETA: Forgot to mention we're staying offsite so we can't take advantage of EMH. Made some changes after reading a recent thread about park hoppers.

Last edited:
One thing my group's found that works, at least in the latter half of the year, is doing a 4-day 1-park-per-day, and then doing a Halloween or Christmas party for a second Magic Kingdom day. You get to make the rounds of the MK attractions again, but it's almost like experiencing a different park. This is more expensive than doing a 5-day hopper though, and the 5-day hopper gives you more flexibility throughout the trip.

If you're mostly after rides and maybe watching some fireworks, the park-hopper tickets will give you the flexibility to go back and ride the rides you enjoyed on another day, giving you a second chance at ones that had long lines, etc. Last year, for example, Test Track closed due to weather during our FP window on our only Epcot day. Even after the rain stopped, it never came back online that night. With a hopper, no problem, just come back when you can (like the Christmas Party day at MK, in your case).

I would decide last minute if you are not doing a party. You can add the hopper on the last day. HOWEVER, the hopper will be priced to the 5 day ticket, not the 1 day that is left. It is $80 to add park hopper. Now when you compare, it may be better to do the Christmas party on your last night, and go to another park during the day. The party is a nice add, and is probably about $10-15 more on slower nights.

I would get park hoppers and use the last day as a "clean-up/do over" day; that way you could go back and do anything you missed or want to do one last time before you leave.

The hopper also gives you flexibility if you get through everything you wanted to do at a park early you can hop over to another for fireworks or rides. This works especially well for Epcot and HS since its about a 20 min walk from International Gateway to HS.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I did consider waiting to upgrade but was also considering buy tickets from Undercover Tourist. It costs $63 more to add a park hopper vs $75 at the gate. How long are the lines for guest services to upgrade tickets? We are going when it's slow so I anticipate it shouldn't be so bad.

I'll crunch some numbers again and look at the party! I haven't considered going but some of you make it sound so much fun. Thanks!

Not sure how it will work out, but I am using the Crowd Calendar in Touringplans.com to help me decide which parks on which days for our trip next May. As you can see in the screenshot below, We are staying 7 nights and purchasing 6-day hopper tickets. As someone suggested earlier, we plan to use the last park day to repeat favorite attractions and those we may have missed.

DisneyPlans.JPG

Last edited:
How does your family do with day-after-day park touring? If you are exhausted on the last day, you may want to go to rope drop and leave by 6PM. You can ride your favorites and take in the sights. Otherwise, go for it and visit two parks on that last day. Have a great trip--November weather should be amazing!

To piggyback on what @Magical2017 suggested....

MK will have very low crowds on party days. You can see and do much more than on non-party days.

On that note I’d do one of two things. Skip the hopper and buy party tickets for the last night OR hit a relatively empty MK until 6 and then head to Disney Springs for the evening. There’s lots to experience there and no ticket media required!

I have nothing to add to the question, but I wanted to say I love your calendar! Did you design that with Excel?

What is your traveling party like and are there kids with you? At this age (6) my daughter would probably choose a 2nd day at either HS (for ToT and RnR) or AK (for EE and FoP). I wouldn’t necessarily do a whole day, but you could sleep in and do one of those parks after lunch until close, or take a mid-day break.

Also, if anyone in your group is interested in doing Wilderness Explorers at AK, that can take up pretty much a whole day. Same for Sorceres of the MK or Pirates Adventure at MK. My daughter LOVES all of those activities, but you probably wouldn’t get to those on your first day when running around riding all the rides. I do not believe there is anything comparable at DL, so it would be something different to do.

I have nothing to add to the question, but I wanted to say I love your calendar! Did you design that with Excel?

Hi teller80,

Yes, I used Excel to create the calendar. I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. Started out with simple text and eventually led to this. :-) I've toyed with the idea of adding my detailed plans for each park on other tabs and then inserting hyperlinks on the the calendar cells to link to them. Or, link them to the actual TouringPlans.com plans which I tinker with excessively. Just a sick puppy I guess. :-)

My last plan was similar but inside the merged cells you have for each park I placed times for parades/shows that I may want to hit up, but didn't schedule. I used them as references.

I would do 5 day base tickets and buy party tickets for that last night. Do whatever park you want on day 5. MK will have low crowds since it's a party day but you could do any of the other parks. IF you don't do MK you can get there at 4 pm for the party.

Sorry but I wouldnt waste money on a hopper if it means you're only using it for ONE DAY. Thats a waste. I'd use the entire trip, do two parks in one day. You get much more done that way.

If you really dont want to add a park hopper, i'd just do MK on the 5th day and once the park closes at 6pm, i'd head over to disney springs.

After MK close on the last day, you would go to the monorail resort and look at decorations. Get a snack at each one. My family loves the contempo bakery, nachos at quick service from poly, etc.

As far as rides and attractions, Magic Kingdom has much more than all the other parks. My next trip is 7 days. We are doing 1 day at each of the other 3 parks and 4 days in Magic Kingdom, or 3 with a repeat(we are leaving one day flexible). So I always vote for more days in MK. We don’t hop because it’s hard on our kids at this age.

Thanks everyone! So many great suggestions! We decided to buy party tickets and not park hoppers based on the helpful feedback you all gave! So grateful for all the knowledge you have.

How does your family do with day-after-day park touring? If you are exhausted on the last day, you may want to go to rope drop and leave by 6PM. You can ride your favorites and take in the sights. Otherwise, go for it and visit two parks on that last day. Have a great trip--November weather should be amazing!
I typically can power through but we'll definitely take it easier the last day since we'll probably be tired. So excited! Our last trip was only 2 days so I'm really excited for 5 full days!

What is your traveling party like and are there kids with you? At this age (6) my daughter would probably choose a 2nd day at either HS (for ToT and RnR) or AK (for EE and FoP). I wouldn’t necessarily do a whole day, but you could sleep in and do one of those parks after lunch until close, or take a mid-day break.

Also, if anyone in your group is interested in doing Wilderness Explorers at AK, that can take up pretty much a whole day. Same for Sorceres of the MK or Pirates Adventure at MK. My daughter LOVES all of those activities, but you probably wouldn’t get to those on your first day when running around riding all the rides. I do not believe there is anything comparable at DL, so it would be something different to do.
I definitely want to explore AK more since it's the only park we haven't been to yet and the closest thing we have to that is the San Diego Safari Park (and not quite the same). My group is 4 adults (no kids) and we're pretty flexible in what to do. The options can be overwhelming at times!

After MK close on the last day, you would go to the monorail resort and look at decorations. Get a snack at each one. My family loves the contempo bakery, nachos at quick service from poly, etc.
Sounds yummy! I do hope to check out some of the resorts or Disney Springs on the day we leave since our flight isn't until late afternoon.

@rpw2014 Your calendar is AMAZING!

I would say for sure get the hoppers. We are Disneyland people too. Whenever we go we get hoppers because we just never know where we might end up. We were just there in September on slower days for 5 full days and 1 half day or leaving day. I had planned 1 day per park and then the last day and a half to repeat some places. On our 1 day per park we park hopped even then because we would finish things early, go to another park for a ride or two, go to the hotel, then go back to the park we wanted to experience the night time entertainment or had dinner reservations for. I had originally planned for only 1 day in Epcot and we ended up there 4 different days! My dad hated that park but every day insisted we go back to either go on test track or shop (Still don't know how he hated it when he dragged me there 4 different days lol). We also went to Hollywood studios on our full Epcot day to ride a Rock N Roller and Tower before heading to the hotel to change before dinner. I think the park hoppers will allow you to change your plans on the fly even the full trip even if you don't plan on it originally.

We also did a day and two half days at Magic Kingdom and loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter