Park Security

They can do that anywhere, though, in any town, at any building or airport entrance. This poster was asking about security inside the parks, which is solid. We can cringe in fear every time we leave our homes, or we can live.

But I think Disney has a responsibility to keep that area (right outside the gates) from becoming even one bit more congested than it has to be. It's possible that in trying to increase security, they have created an easier target.

Once again, not sure what the answer is. I just hope they are looking at that and considering all the angles.

I think we will be seeing screening at each WDW resort before one can get on the bus. The group waiting for the bus would be much smaller because it is spread out at the various resorts. Off site busses go to different areas such as the TTC. I'm thinking there could be security set up at such places. Perhaps there will even be screening before one can enter the monorail system. What a sad state of our times we are living in.
I think we will be seeing screening at each WDW resort before one can get on the bus. The group waiting for the bus would be much smaller because it is spread out at the various resorts. Off site busses go to different areas such as the TTC. I'm thinking there could be security set up at such places. Perhaps there will even be screening before one can enter the monorail system. What a sad state of our times we are living in.

Universal Orlando does that with there boat system

Disney is such an iconic landmark, I strongly believe that they are not by themselves in maintaining security. I'm sure the FBI/CIA monitor the "chatter" After 911 all of Disney became a no fly zone

Not too sure about the no fly zone thing. I see helicopters and planes flying over all the time.

See Something, Say Something! We all need to be more vigilant. We stand with Orlando. it could happen anywhere.

But I think Disney has a responsibility to keep that area (right outside the gates) from becoming even one bit more congested than it has to be. It's possible that in trying to increase security, they have created an easier target.

Once again, not sure what the answer is. I just hope they are looking at that and considering all the angles.
This is a good point. So why does it bottleneck in the first place? Because people want to take all their stuff into the parks. Bags and bags of it. Strollers loaded down, etc. Think...do I really need all this stuff? I'm sure security would welcome you taking less.

This is a good point. So why does it bottleneck in the first place? Because people want to take all their stuff into the parks. Bags and bags of it. Strollers loaded down, etc. Think...do I really need all this stuff? I'm sure security would welcome you taking less.

WDW is a destination for families with small children. I don't think you're going to convince a lot of them to take less into the park.

I think there needs to be detectors at TTC and everywhere people load onto Disney transport. Also keep the current detectors to enter the parks. May have to go through it several times a day, but if we're kept safe, then I welcome it. I think as time passes and guests get used to it, the lines will eventually flow better because guests will be better prepared for each checkpoint.

As for OP's original question on security at the parks, I have felt relatively safe once inside the park, but I'll admit that I'll feel much safer now that everyone has to be screened through the detector. I hated the random selection of people to be screened because I saw too many "suspicious" looking people walk right in without being randomly selected.

I think there needs to be detectors at TTC and everywhere people load onto Disney transport. Also keep the current detectors to enter the parks. May have to go through it several times a day, but if we're kept safe, then I welcome it. I think as time passes and guests get used to it, the lines will eventually flow better because guests will be better prepared for each checkpoint.

As for OP's original question on security at the parks, I have felt relatively safe once inside the park, but I'll admit that I'll feel much safer now that everyone has to be screened through the detector. I hated the random selection of people to be screened because I saw too many "suspicious" looking people walk right in without being randomly selected.

Dare I ask what these "suspicious" people looked like exactly?

I just spent 7 days at the parks and was randomly selected 5 times, my wife however was never randomly selected.

Thinking only about the "bottleneck" to get into the Magic Kingdom.... perhaps we will see a change to the front gates. Less greenery, more open space for a direct line to the bag checks/detectors? Having bag check in the middle makes it the ideal location considering the bus, monorail, and boat landing locations. I don't know how they could do it but if it were announced or happened I wouldn't be shocked.

Our plans are still on for next year (which is easy to say when it's not within weeks of such a horrible event). I won't mind taking an extra 10 or so minutes and a small reminder we are still in the real world even at Disney if it means the safety of everyone at the parks.

I agree with previous posters who have said that this type of attack can happen anytime, anyplace. I also agree that Disney likely has ample security before we get to the security checks, even if it isn't always visible. I feel as safe at WDW as I do anywhere else and don't think I would have any concerns about going there today. When I was at WDW a few weeks ago, AK had a separate security line for people with small bags, like purses and camera bags. This could alleviate some of the security backlog concerns by moving people with smaller bags into separate, faster moving lines.

Dare I ask what these "suspicious" people looked like exactly?

I just spent 7 days at the parks and was randomly selected 5 times, my wife however was never randomly selected.

Oh I just meant people that looked like they could be concealing a weapon of some sort. I'm a female and was selected several times a couple months ago and I really didn't have any extra places I could've been concealing something. My DH was also selected several times (I think at least once a day) but he usually had on some type of cargo shorts where he could've been concealing something easier than I could've. In any event, I'm just glad everyone has to go through detectors now.

I feel more safe at WDW than I would at my own mall. I was glad they put in the metal detectors. There are cameras everywhere....literally everywhere...on property. Doesn't mean they're immune to any dangers, not at all, but they take extra precautions that everyday places don't. I mean, you don't get screened by security at the local Kroger or even at any of the shopping malls. So, I think Disney is a very safe place to be.

Disney is such an iconic landmark, I strongly believe that they are not by themselves in maintaining security. I'm sure the FBI/CIA monitor the "chatter" After 911 all of Disney became a no fly zone

Not too sure about the no fly zone thing. I see helicopters and planes flying over all the time.

Disney doesn't have a no fly zone. It is listed as a TFR and only prohibits needing permission to enter the airspace below 3000ft in a 3 mile radius. This was NOT done in response to 9-11 at all or terrorism in general. It was put in place to keep out banner towers and the sky writers. Also Disney is shooting themselves in the foot with this right now by trying to allow themselves to fly drones through the area, which is in direct violation to the TFR.

Dd and I are at WDW right now and feel totally safe. I have heard no other guests talking about safety concerns today.

We have had many CM friends over the years (I grew up in Orlando.), and they were all trained to be on the lookout for trouble of one kind or another.

Only MK has a no fly zone. The rest of the parks can be flown over

And security at Disney is good. An attack can happen anywhere really. There's no use in living in fear. That's what terrorists want. It's a terrible thing that happened in that club this morning but it won't change how I feel when I visit Disney or anywhere else.

The only affect that I feel is that it pushes me further to get a concealed weapons permit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter