Park Schedule and Splitting Days?

Cwilson

Mouseketeer
Hey all,
We are headed to WDW in May 2018. We've got 7 day tickets with PH. I did this purposefully, as I want to have time to take breaks and decompress. What's your tried and true schedule for making the most out of your park time and maximizing what you see/do, but taking breaks also? We'll be traveling with me, my hubby, my mom, and 3 kids: DD 16, DS 7, DD 4. Thanks!!

I schedule my rests from about noon until 4, approximately.
We RD as much as we can and we really take advantage of EMH and FP. I do my best to get my FP for the morning so we can keeping getting new ones in the afternoon.

To maximize our park time I RD as much as possible and take advantage of EMH. Generally, I plan to be in a park from opening until about noon. Then we head back to resort for a few hours. Usually we are back at a park by 4, but if it's late EMH at MK we might stretch our break time longer. We make ADRs that don't cut into our preferred park hours. I don't count meal times as breaks, especially for TS, because everyone really has to be on their best behavior of the day while we're eating. I like to have lunch in the room where I can make a sandwich and put my feet up for a couple of hours! Bus rides only count as breaks if we're heading back to the resort. When we're taking a break, we're really relaxing.
I think the key to taking breaks without feeling like you're missing out, is to have a detailed plan in advance. I print out a park map, mark the attractions we want to do, and note the run time of all the shows. Then once I have my FPs, I make an itinerary for each park day and map out our route to eliminate backtracking. We don't follow it exactly, it's there so there is no guess work. If someone has a better idea in the park or we want to get on Buzz 3 times in a row, we do it. If half the group wants to stay back and swim in the afternoon, we split up. But I NEVER have any of those "what do you want to do" "I don't know, what do you want to do" conversations, because I always have a plan in my pocket. And if we're debating staying in bed or heading back later, I already know what might get missed.

I've been taking DS to WDW since he was 1. He is 9 now and, after 20+ trips, I find what works best for us is to tour until after lunch, head back to our resort and chill out for about 3-4 hours (swim, watch a movie, etc.). We then pick one evening event (HDDR, a dessert party, a monorail tour, an evening show, a special TS) as our focus for the evening. If we are in a park and can snag some extra FP+, great. If not, no worries. We'll do things that don't require FP like Sorcerers, Wilderness Explorers, walking around WS, etc. This allows us to get our must-do's in in the mornings when we are awake and ready to go and leaves the afternoon/evenings a little more flexible if we are tired.

The last trip we took, I felt like I didn't need a vacation after! Next year I added one more day so I plan on being just as relaxed"

No parks on arrival/departure days, we have done chef mickeys in the past for dinner.

Park days are Breakfast in room, RD, lunch at park, leave by 1, nap til about 4, shower then leave for park and either eat dinner at park or at resort. Stay til park closing.

After 2 park days, take a day off and sit my butt at the pool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter