Park hopping/FP strategy

Davey Jones II

DIS Veteran
I`m planning a 9-day WDW adventure for seven people, so I need to consult the Dis experts again. So here`s my question: which do you think is the best strategy when planning to park hop:

a) Take advantage of short wait times early in the day at your first park, and have prime fast passes waiting for you at your second park of the day.

b) book FPs as early as you can at your first park, planning to get as many same-day FPs as you can at both parks.

Thanks in advance for advice/comments!

That's a fairly busy time of year, so I believe your "Plan A" might be the best way to go. That way, you can use the app to decide which wait times are acceptable at Rope Drop or Early Morning Hours (if you're staying on property) and then have 3 great rides waiting for you at your second park. I hope you have a great trip. Our family will be in Disneyland at that same time frame. We should compare notes!

I`m planning a 9-day WDW adventure for seven people, so I need to consult the Dis experts again. So here`s my question: which do you think is the best strategy when planning to park hop:

a) Take advantage of short wait times early in the day at your first park, and have prime fast passes waiting for you at your second park of the day.

b) book FPs as early as you can at your first park, planning to get as many same-day FPs as you can at both parks.

Thanks in advance for advice/comments!

I'm always in the B camp and rely heavily on adding additional FP's throughout the day.

Not that this is a super helpful answer - but I would say it depends.... which parks are you going to be hopping from and to, what time are you planning on hopping and what is your must dos at each park.

As others have said it really depends on which parks when. I usually like to have my FPs at the 2nd park if we are hopping.

Example: I have a Garden Grill PPO, so we will do Future World stand by and then have FPs at the MK for later.

October is busy, but remember you can book FPs in the 2nd park as soon as you use 1,2,or 3 in the first park.

Thanks for the responses. So here`s a related question: is there still a lot of availability for useful same-day FPs (I define "useful" thus: FPs for a ride -- as opposed to a show -- that will have waits over 30 min. most of the day).

With 9 days, you can do a bit of both. A lot depends on which park is first and which second.

I`ve considered using both strategies.

So if MK is your first park, would you book FPs for that park, and hope to find good FPs later for your second park (and those don`t have to be for headliners).

This is purely subjective but when I was looking at what I should do I went to https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/ to help me out.

Mesaboy's advice (which again is subjective) on parking hopping and FP+ selections is: "- When park-hopping, the best strategy is often to make FP selections in the second park each day. However, there is no right answer and it is up to each individual to determine which approach fits their touring style best. "

Either option leaves disadvantages. I don't remember where the information is contained but I remember reading usually the reason why has to do with wait times when you end up at your second park (they tend to be longer say in early afternoon and onwards) so you help yourself there with FPs but the downside would obviously be less hours left in the day to gain additional FPs (that doesn't mean you won't have success with getting multiple rolling 4th FPs just that there are less hours in the day left).

During your trip MNSSHP is on October 15th, 17th, 18th, 20th, 21st, 24th and 25th so that could impact depending on your MK plans and park hopping due to the parks closing at 6pm.

I think it also depends on how many people are in your group. It is much easier to get subsequent fastpasses for a group of 1 or 2 than for a group of 5-6.

I think it also depends on how many people are in your group. It is much easier to get subsequent fastpasses for a group of 1 or 2 than for a group of 5-6.
You can always split up the party though. Unlike ADRs you don't have to look for 5 or 6 people for a time slot of 6-7pm for example. You can look and break up the amount. You get an hour to use your FP (unless otherwise noted) so if say you could only get 3 people for 6-7pm but you can get another 2 to 3 people for 6:15pm-7:15pm you'll still all be able to enter together and ride together you just enter when the second party's time slot begins.

But if you're looking always for a large group you can, though not always, have problems when you pre-book too. It's not only subsequent FPs when you're at the park where you can run into that. But again you can break up the amount of people too when pre-booking.

Are you staying on site? There is EMH every day at 7 AM with an 8 AM opening at AK and MK and 6-9 AM EMH with a 9 AM opening every day you're there. SO, if you're not entitled to EMH, you will be at a disadvantage and I would do FPs in park 1, because so many people would beat you into the park. If you are onsite, and able to get there at the beginning of the EMH, I would do FPs in park 2.

We always do A. I tried a couple of days doing the refresh method for sdfp on our last trip and I hated spending so much time on my phone. I found myself on rides trying to get the next FP instead of enjoying the moment. We do alternate and go to each park at least twice so that one day we’ll be doing the park with FP, the other in the morning riding secondary rides.

We’ve done it this way since the beginning of FP+ and it works very well for us. That said, we’re not big on riding things multiple times other than just a couple and we’re not ride obsessed and enjoy things besides just rides. 3 FP’s in an evening park, doing fireworks or shows or parties is plenty for us.

When I go I usually go alone or in a small group and I still prefer making my FP’s for later in the day when lines would be long. It can be done finding same day FP’s but I would hate to have to rely on that method. When I’m at Disney World I want to enjoy my time there. Not looking at my phone every second in hopes of snagging a FP.

I think there is a choice in between the ones the OP posted though. I think the sweet spot to book your FP’s is at 11 or 12. If you book your 3 for the day back to back to back, you would be done by 2 or 3. Then you still have time to possibly get a same day FP.

Thanks for the responses. So here`s a related question: is there still a lot of availability for useful same-day FPs (I define "useful" thus: FPs for a ride -- as opposed to a show -- that will have waits over 30 min. most of the day).
This weekend, I have seen or gotten same day fast passes for slinky dog, rockin roller coaster, test track, as well as back-to-back splash Mountains on 100° day.

Did not have any luck getting frozen or Tower of Terror, and did not try for any at AK.

There's a common misconception that refreshing takes alot of time. I often have our next FP selected in the time it takes to walk through the FP queue. Even if it takes me 5-10 minutes, that's far better than the 45 minutes+ that the standby lines are for the those rides (or 1-2 hour lines for such rides as FOP). We get to enjoy so much more than we would otherwise including riding FOP 3-4 times in a day. It also allows us to ride everything much faster than we otherwise would and this gives us more time to spend at the resort or strolling through the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter