• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

park hopper vs AP??

Misako

Mouseketeer
This Sept, We are meeting up with family member to go Disneyland for weekend. We know for sure that We will be back later this year for another trip to Disneyland since Weekend trip will be way too short to enjoy.
Since the ticket price went up so much. Not sure which will be more reasonable for famiy of 4. Buy park hopper ticket for each time we go? or AP which we benefit the a lof discount. Need some advice please!!!
** Seems like the AP(inclusde both WDW and DL) brought in FL cheeper than here in CA even same AP.... Is this true or I am just confuse???

What type of AP were you looking at? The one that is for WDW and DL is the most expensive, the "Premier" pass, and it is the same price whether you buy it in Florida or in California. Remember, while the ticket booth prices went up....so did AP prices... by A LOT, so you really need to know exactly how many times you'll be visiting to be able to do the math to figure out which is cheaper.

Well, that depends on a few factors. How many days are you thinking for each trip and what level of AP would you need (would the Deluxe AP do, or are there blockout dates during your second trip that would require you to purchase either blockout tickets or a Premium AP). If there are blockout dates during your first trip and not your second, you could just buy PHs and then upgrade to a Deluxe AP after the blockout dates (or on the last day of your trip if it is a blockout day).

I believe the Premier AP price in Florida may not include the tax on the WDW portion, which you would be charged at time of purchase, while the price in Cali would not have additional tax added. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

I believe the Premier AP price in Florida may not include the tax on the WDW portion, which you would be charged at time of purchase, while the price in Cali would not have additional tax added. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

You pay the same price regardless. You pay tax on the Florida portion no matter what state you buy the pass in. The California portion is tax-free.

Since OP is from CA there are also two CA AP's to choose from. So with the 4 types of AP's available for DL and the one (Premier) that covers WDW and DL, there are 5 to choose from that include DL.

Another factor is the discounts on merchandise, food and if you use a discounted AP rate to stay onsite. We would need more info. from OP to help out.

^The only California APs are for those living in Southern California. OP lives in Sacramento and would not qualify for those.

We live North East of Sac (auburn) and qualify for the California resident deluxe and premium AP's (monthly payment plan)

We live North East of Sac (auburn) and qualify for the California resident deluxe and premium AP's (monthly payment plan)

I know that all of CA is fine (now) for the payment plan, but it sounds like you're saying you get a discount as well*. Am I reading it wrong?

*which doesn't make sense based on the zipcode info for the socal APs.

I am a So Cal resident & renewed my PAP online in April before the price hike with a discount of $20.00 off per ticket and had the option to pay monthly payments but chose not to. I also could get the same discount on the PAP or DAP by being DVC member.

Maybe I read it wrong :). We do not get a discount.

This is correct--there's no Californian discount on Deluxe or Premium passes, however you are eligible for the monthly payment plan.

I agree with starshine514 in that the best answer to the question really depends on how many days you're coming and what time of year (that is, during Deluxe blockout dates).

It can be helpful to break down the math. For example, say you want to make two 3-day trips during a blockout period. You would need the Premium pass, which has no blockouts. They cost $649. However, the 3-day parkhopper costs $250 (for adults). So two 3-day visits on parkhoppers will cost you $500 per person vs. one Premium pass at $649. In this instance, the parkhoppers are cheaper. Even two 5-day passes are cheaper than one Premium pass.

However, if the Deluxe pass works for you, then that would be $469 per person, making the Deluxe pass cheaper than two 3-day parkhoppers.

Other factors to keep in mind are parking, whether on property or at your hotel ($15 on property, included with the Premium parkhopper, not included in Deluxe but you can add it on for an additional $150). There are also merchandise and food discounts that come with annual passes that aren't available on parkhoppers. And if you decide to make another trip within 12 months then you don't have to worry about additional tickets. Also, annual passholders get a discount on things like guided tours and Mickey's Halloween Party.

So really, it does come down to when you are available to visit, how many visits you think you might make in a 12 month span, whether the AP discounts would amount to significant savings for you, and parking.

It can be helpful to break down the math. For example, say you want to make two 3-day trips during a blockout period. You would need the Premium pass, which has no blockouts. They cost $649. However, the 3-day parkhopper costs $250 (for adults). So two 3-day visits on parkhoppers will cost you $500 per person vs. one Premium pass at $649. In this instance, the parkhoppers are cheaper. Even two 5-day passes are cheaper than one Premium pass.

Even if the math does not favor the AP for the whole family, you might want to buy one just for the parking and discounts while buying parkhoppers for the rest of the family.
If you think you'll spend a lot on merchandise or for food, one AP can repay itself pretty fast.

zavandor said:
Even if the math does not favor the AP for the whole family, you might want to buy one just for the parking and discounts while buying parkhoppers for the rest of the family.
If you think you'll spend a lot on merchandise or for food, one AP can repay itself pretty fast.

I think this is a good idea too. This is what we did when we went to WDW last year. I upgraded my pass to a premier for parking and discounts, but the rest of the family got a 10 day pass (no hopper). The food discounts for AP are better at DLR for food than at WDW.

You pay the same price regardless. You pay tax on the Florida portion no matter what state you buy the pass in. The California portion is tax-free.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. If the OP is being quoted a different price in Florida it may be because the tax on the Florida portion will be added at time of purchase (just like the WDW tickets look cheaper than they really are online because the tax will be added when you actually get to the checkout), thus making it the same price regardless of the coast.

You should update your location if you live in Auburn. (New Mexico?)

I could also comment on it being a Small World, but I'll refrain. Opps. :lmao:

Thank you all for many useful information. Most likely I will buy at least one AP for discounts purpose. Since other family member will be joining us this time. It will save us a lot of money on food and others...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter