Park Hopper option or no?

disneygirl_wdw

Mouseketeer
We are trying to plan a trip for July 4th week to WDW. It will be me, my mother, father, BF, and his 4 year old. My mother, father, and I all have AP's, but my BF and his DS do not. We are looking at ticket options for them and I am trying to tell my Mom July 4th with no park hopper option is not a good idea with a 4 year old who has no experience waiting in long lines. She is trying to get me to save money and thinks it will be fine. Any other time of year, other than Christmas I would agree with her it'd be doable, but July 4th week I am having reservations about. I have been there during July 4th time once before but it's been a long time. Any ideas, am I crazy or is she?:rotfl:

Prior to me having an annual pass, we very rarely did 1 park /1 day. We also loved being able to bounce around with taking a few breaks in between. It's probably doable, but we did 4th of July last year and usually hit 2 parks a day, even with the little ones. The only park we had an issue with was MK on July 3rd- never again! Otherwise it was an amazing trip, grand gathering of 24 (everyone had hoppers):)

We are trying to plan a trip for July 4th week to WDW. It will be me, my mother, father, BF, and his 4 year old. My mother, father, and I all have AP's, but my BF and his DS do not. We are looking at ticket options for them and I am trying to tell my Mom July 4th with no park hopper option is not a good idea with a 4 year old who has no experience waiting in long lines. She is trying to get me to save money and thinks it will be fine. Any other time of year, other than Christmas I would agree with her it'd be doable, but July 4th week I am having reservations about. I have been there during July 4th time once before but it's been a long time. Any ideas, am I crazy or is she?:rotfl:

It will be crowded everywhere during the 4th, so why not add the hopper option at the park if you find you want to hop? I would wait to see if you even need them before spending the extra money.:thumbsup2

Since you're only looking at the hoppers for two people that would only add about $100 to the total cost of the vacation. If most of you have APs and are used to having the freedom to hop, I would think that would be $100 well spent.

You don't have to plan your parks around meals and with a young child your group can also split up and meet in a different park later, go back to MK to do some of the child's favorites again, take the monorail from MK to Epcot, etc.

How long is your trip? That should probably be taken into consideration.

Of course I am on the pro-PH side-- We always buy park hoppers for our family of 5 and hop at least once every one of our ten park days. We try to save in many other areas (food, etc), but my DH will not even consider giving up the PHs to cut that cost out of the trip.

The other half will tell you that they are unnecessary and a waste of money. It really just depends on your family.

Our family has been going to Disney every year for a decade now. (oldest child now 12 and youngest 4) We have never gone with the park hopper option. I feel that with kids there is enough to do in Any park to satisfy an entire day in a single park. We have always looked at the park hopper as a waste of time and money. If you plan things out correctly you should be able to pick the right park on the right days and not need to waste time traveling to other parks. The key there is to Plan ahead.

Now with that being said, you should probably just go ahead and get the park hopper option the the BF and child. Three of you already have the tickets, the upgrade will not horrible in cost. With the busy holiday week if you end up in a park the is crazy and you want to be able to change plans, you will have the option to do so.

Have a great time.

Another vote to get the hopper option! I think you'd regret not getting it more than getting it.

We have never gone without the hoppers and I doubt we ever will. We love the option of going to a whole different park at night and we often do AM EMH at one park and then hop to another when that park gets busy. We were there this year during a more busy time than we normally are and we hopped a LOT more that we normally do.

I have done that week....years ago. You WILL be glad you can hop.

We aren't a park hopper family - we are fine with one park per day.

Though with the crowds that will be there over the 4th of July holiday, I'd consider it in case you want to try and escape to another park.

Our family has been going to Disney every year for a decade now. (oldest child now 12 and youngest 4) We have never gone with the park hopper option. I feel that with kids there is enough to do in Any park to satisfy an entire day in a single park. We have always looked at the park hopper as a waste of time and money.

I would almost always agree, I have done hoppers in the past. For example when I had a AP a long time ago.

I find park hopping wastes time (if you only visit once every year or so) as well.

The two fly's in the ointment here is, only 2 ppl will be w/o hoppers and it's one of the busiest days of the year.

Tough call. Usually I'd say no though.

Budget the cost, but wait to you get there to add the hopping to the tickets.
If you need it you have the money to cover it, if you don't you didn't waste the money.
kinda a win win situatiion for both you and your mom.

I agree with adding the hopper option after you arrive and decide you need it.

We too are AP holders but always went with the hopper option prior. I like not being "locked in" to just 1 park per day. We can go to MK or EP at RD and leave at closing but not so much with AK and HS.

Wait until you actually hop. We rarely actually hop. This trip we did, and had trouble with the upgrade, but got it straightened out.

I think that using a park hopper would be a good idea.... especially bcause you have a small child who may get bored with EPCOT (which can be boring and tiring for little ones.) If he does get bored, you can take him back 2 MK so that he can enjoy some of his favorite rides again. :)

I would also suggest getting it at the park if you feel you need it. That is one of our biggest regrets: adding it beforehand on our first trip and then not using it a single day. This will be the first year we use it, but only because we have more ADRs and the kids are older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter