Parents of HS class of 2020

Well. WA state just canceled school for the rest of the year. DD is very upset. I think she was really holding out hope of going back. I am trying not to cry myself. It’s a hard pill to swallow and realize everything she worked for this year is now canceled. Prom/ musical/ recitals etc. Not sure what they will do for graduation? I am thankful for our health, I know it could be so much worse but I do feel terribly for all these seniors missing out on senior year. :(

Well. WA state just canceled school for the rest of the year. DD is very upset. I think she was really holding out hope of going back. I am trying not to cry myself. It’s a hard pill to swallow and realize everything she worked for this year is now canceled. Prom/ musical/ recitals etc. Not sure what they will do for graduation? I am thankful for our health, I know it could be so much worse but I do feel terribly for all these seniors missing out on senior year. :(
Hopefully they will do something for all of the kids on Prom, graduation and other big deals. Those things are actually doable a month or two late.

But remind DD that this will all be ancient history when you are floating on the Lazy River at Spectrum Stadium prior to a football game this Fall!

P.S. -- Broward County, just north of us (Ft. Lauderdale area) just threw in the towel for the rest of the year too. I know our administrators are trying hard to hang in there and have some semblance of a final couple of weeks...but we'll see.

I have a HS senior and a college senior. Both are doing classes on line. They are somewhat ok with not having the actual graduation ceremony. We will do something special for them.
We are in the same boat. My HS DS is not too bothered, my college DD is devastated about not walking. Her career search has slowed to a crawl as well :(

I don't know what they are going to do with our kids. She gots to a DODEA high school and they are supposed to graduate May 15. A lot of people are scheduled to PCS after graduation--we were scheduled for June but it has been pushed back to July, and who knows what will happen after that. What is really upsetting the kids even more than Graduation is Prom--it was supposed to be at Churchill Downs on April 18. If they can manage to have something it will probably be on post where they hold the JROTC Military Ball every year. She is grateful they at least had that before everything shut down. At this point I am just hoping they don't push our PCS off again to August and we have to move at the same time we have to get her to college since we are moving to GA and she is going to college in Indiana!
Another DODEA school senior mom here (Campbell.) Graduation is supposed to be 5/16, at a college that has already canceled in person classes for the rest of the year. I don't know; I'm holding out a sliver of hope. Prom for sure won't happen as it's scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Honestly, I feel like the DODEA schools are the most behind in terms of making decisions. All the schools around here (TN & KY) have been steps ahead of DODEA at every decision. I'm hoping something works out for graduation as we already have family members who have scheduled flights to come...we'll see I guess. Can I ask you how the online schooling is going for you guys? For mine in middle and high they're required to be online the whole day - they basically just follow their schedule and log into each class as they would go to class. - Very different than all the local school districts- they're not even taking grades. I know some states/districts have completely called it a year and it's basically summer break now...so odd how different things are depending on where you go to school. Good luck to you guys!

Another DODEA school senior mom here (Campbell.) Graduation is supposed to be 5/16, at a college that has already canceled in person classes for the rest of the year. I don't know; I'm holding out a sliver of hope. Prom for sure won't happen as it's scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Honestly, I feel like the DODEA schools are the most behind in terms of making decisions. All the schools around here (TN & KY) have been steps ahead of DODEA at every decision. I'm hoping something works out for graduation as we already have family members who have scheduled flights to come...we'll see I guess. Can I ask you how the online schooling is going for you guys? For mine in middle and high they're required to be online the whole day - they basically just follow their schedule and log into each class as they would go to class. - Very different than all the local school districts- they're not even taking grades. I know some states/districts have completely called it a year and it's basically summer break now...so odd how different things are depending on where you go to school. Good luck to you guys!
We are at Knox (GO EAGLES!) (My daughter is a cheerleader) The online schooling is weird. She has to check into every class at the time the class starts, but that is pretty much it. Strangest thing is Chief is still doing Uniform inspection every monday for JROTC. They get their assignments and then are off until they check in for their next class. It is not near as bad as we thought it was going to be when they first gave the instructions on how it is going to work. The teachers have adapted really well and are doing email, text messages, and group chats when needed to explain a new concept. Toughest thing for my daughter has been AP Statistics. She has struggled with how the teacher teaches all year, and it is worse on line. She had a test today and came out of it in complete crying meltdown. We told her not to worry, one grade in the class isn't going to hurt her that bad and she is already accepted to her college of choice. They are really trying to make things as normal as possible for the kids--she even has an NHS meeting this week. Track season, sadly, is off and the special training at U of Louisville she was going to for Hurdles has obviously been canceled. A couple of the kids are worried about their chances at track scholarships and making the team in college, she has pretty much figured that without the training and competition this year she isn't going to have a shot at the college team since she just started track last year.

I think in some ways this is easier for my daughter than a lot of kids because we homeschooled from the middle of 4th to the middle of 9th grade when we were posted in a very very very bad school district (Westover ANG Base in Chicopee MA). A couple of her teachers have even asked her for advice on how to manage this situation, or ask me for suggestions for them. Overall, I am really pleased with how they are handling it at the HS level. I'm not sure how the elementary schools are doing it because the kids are out in their backyards playing and yelling to each other and having trampoline competitions by 10:30-11 o'clock every day.

I am really hoping they get to graduate May 15. Knox is a lot smaller than Campbell and there are only 63 kids in her class so they do it at the movie theater on post. We also have no cases of CORVID-19 on post (and praying it stays that way!) Right now the rumor is they are going back the 1st week of May, but I am not holding my breathe, just waiting for the thursday afternoon update from DODEA to see what is up for the next week.

Keep on keeping on Army Spouse--we have survived deployments, we can survive this! (And oh dear GOD i can't wait until my husband can go back to the office and quit soldiering in Pajamas and driving me crazy talking to himself!)

We are at Knox (GO EAGLES!) (My daughter is a cheerleader) The online schooling is weird. She has to check into every class at the time the class starts, but that is pretty much it. Strangest thing is Chief is still doing Uniform inspection every monday for JROTC. They get their assignments and then are off until they check in for their next class. It is not near as bad as we thought it was going to be when they first gave the instructions on how it is going to work. The teachers have adapted really well and are doing email, text messages, and group chats when needed to explain a new concept. Toughest thing for my daughter has been AP Statistics. She has struggled with how the teacher teaches all year, and it is worse on line. She had a test today and came out of it in complete crying meltdown. We told her not to worry, one grade in the class isn't going to hurt her that bad and she is already accepted to her college of choice. They are really trying to make things as normal as possible for the kids--she even has an NHS meeting this week. Track season, sadly, is off and the special training at U of Louisville she was going to for Hurdles has obviously been canceled. A couple of the kids are worried about their chances at track scholarships and making the team in college, she has pretty much figured that without the training and competition this year she isn't going to have a shot at the college team since she just started track last year.

I think in some ways this is easier for my daughter than a lot of kids because we homeschooled from the middle of 4th to the middle of 9th grade when we were posted in a very very very bad school district (Westover ANG Base in Chicopee MA). A couple of her teachers have even asked her for advice on how to manage this situation, or ask me for suggestions for them. Overall, I am really pleased with how they are handling it at the HS level. I'm not sure how the elementary schools are doing it because the kids are out in their backyards playing and yelling to each other and having trampoline competitions by 10:30-11 o'clock every day.

I am really hoping they get to graduate May 15. Knox is a lot smaller than Campbell and there are only 63 kids in her class so they do it at the movie theater on post. We also have no cases of CORVID-19 on post (and praying it stays that way!) Right now the rumor is they are going back the 1st week of May, but I am not holding my breathe, just waiting for the thursday afternoon update from DODEA to see what is up for the next week.

Keep on keeping on Army Spouse--we have survived deployments, we can survive this! (And oh dear GOD i can't wait until my husband can go back to the office and quit soldiering in Pajamas and driving me crazy talking to himself!)
Argh...AP stats. My son has also struggled most of the year with that class and was finally doing better and now we're here. His stats teacher also told the class that she's asking the national AP testing date be pushed back???.... I'm not sure how/if she has much of a say and I don't know why considering the date is 5/22; which is after graduation, but who knows.

Small world see we're so close :) Good luck to your daughter!

Argh...AP stats. My son has also struggled most of the year with that class and was finally doing better and now we're here. His stats teacher also told the class that she's asking the national AP testing date be pushed back???.... I'm not sure how/if she has much of a say and I don't know why considering the date is 5/22; which is after graduation, but who knows.

Small world see we're so close :) Good luck to your daughter!
From what my daughter has told me the AP test is going to be open note, 45 minutes, only through segment 7, and only two questions. Her AP Environmental teacher has already stopped with new info and is doing test prep and review. AP Lit he is having them finish Tess of the D'Urbervilles and then going to test prep, although he has really been doing that all year by using past AP test questions for most of their tests. She is really happy with the date changes too because she was supposed to have the AP Stats test on the day of graduation.

Good luck to your son! Our kids are resilient and will come out of this strong as they have done through every move and every deployment. Happy Month of the Military Child to your kids :)

From what my daughter has told me the AP test is going to be open note, 45 minutes, only through segment 7, and only two questions. Her AP Environmental teacher has already stopped with new info and is doing test prep and review. AP Lit he is having them finish Tess of the D'Urbervilles and then going to test prep, although he has really been doing that all year by using past AP test questions for most of their tests. She is really happy with the date changes too because she was supposed to have the AP Stats test on the day of graduation.

Good luck to your son! Our kids are resilient and will come out of this strong as they have done through every move and every deployment. Happy Month of the Military Child to your kids :)
You as well!

On a positive note, for my kid at least and the others who will be starting at University of Evansville in the fall, she just got a video message from the head of admissions. Because they feel so bad for the kids who will not have prom, graduation, and all the rest of the things that make Sr year special, they are going to be throwing a Graduation Party for them in the fall. The admissions counselor who is assigned to them will be contacting them for pictures and with a questionnaire that will be used to create a video to celebrate them all. Admittedly, Evansville is a very small school (around 2,500 students total), but the way they work so hard to create a community for the kids constantly amazes me.

On a positive note, for my kid at least and the others who will be starting at University of Evansville in the fall, she just got a video message from the head of admissions. Because they feel so bad for the kids who will not have prom, graduation, and all the rest of the things that make Sr year special, they are going to be throwing a Graduation Party for them in the fall. The admissions counselor who is assigned to them will be contacting them for pictures and with a questionnaire that will be used to create a video to celebrate them all. Admittedly, Evansville is a very small school (around 2,500 students total), but the way they work so hard to create a community for the kids constantly amazes me.
That’s amazing!! I’m so happy for your daughter that her school is doing that. So cool.

We got a very nice video message this afternoon from our School Superintendent to the Class of 2020. Among other things, he said they were working to present graduation and Prom in some fashion -- either virtual or at a later date.

I have not the remotest idea how you would do either graduation or Prom virtually, lol. I don't see any reason why they can't reschedule both for later in the summer, but of course everything depends on the progress of the pandemic and no matter when it's rescheduled some students would not be able to make it.

We'll see what happens, but at least they realize the problem and are working on it.

I’ve been thinking about the on campus housing situation in the fall. From the tours we’ve been on, I’ve noticed that there are so many more triple rooms in the freshman dorms than I remember from my college days. This virus has me thinking that that seems like too many in one room in really close quarters. Or maybe dorms in general are close quarters regardless and 2 vs 3 to a room isn’t much of a difference? When I went to school, triples were in a bigger room. These rooms all seem like a double size with an extra person.

NYC mayor official announced that schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year which was to end June 26. I don't know if there will be any type of virtual graduation. I feel so sad for all the seniors, not just in NYC, but everywhere. :grouphug:

NYC mayor official announced that schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year which was to end June 26. I don't know if there will be any type of virtual graduation. I feel so sad for all the seniors, not just in NYC, but everywhere. :grouphug:

Our governor made a statement saying that our mayor does not have authority to make this decision!

We are in Australia and I have a daughter graduating this year. Things are a little different for us though. Final exams were to start mid October. At this stage they have told them that it will be a December start to exams at the earliest. The results from these exams are required to apply for University so not sure how this will work. My daughter is very disappointed to miss out on all the final year of school entails. Following exams, before results come out, it is popular for them to do what they call 'Schoolies'. This is where they go away on holiday with their friends to celebrate. Most kids have paid deposits on these trips well in advance. Mine was doing a Schoolies cruise. But with exams postponed, all this is cancelled. But I guess they are lucky that they will probably get to complete the year. They are currently just finishing what should have been a two week end of term break but was actually 3 weeks. Online classes start on Wednesday so it will be interesting to see how that goes. I also have a daughter in Year 10. I'm not sure what the equivalent is for you. Final year is year 12. She is doing two year 11 subjects though so we have a few concerns there as focus is not her strong point.

Our youngest DS is a senior in HS and is not really bummed about doing on-line work right now - I think he's more upset that he hasn't "seen" his GF in a month! :crazy2: He's actually dual enrolled in HS and the local technical college so he only had 2 HS classes and 2 on-line college courses so now he's just got 4 online HS classes - and both are with the same teacher! They basically told the HS seniors that their grades are "done" for the year and what GPA they had as of March 13th is what they'll have for the end of the year and they'll be given a pass/fair grade with like a COV19 coding so their college knows why it's marked like that.

On one hand I like it but what about the seniors who had lower grades but still had a chance to pull it up to give them a better grade and there increase their GPA - they're just out of luck. Administration is still working out how the Freshman -Juniors will have their grades calculated.

and DS works as a counselor for a summer camp program and they're not sure how or if they'll be able to run this summer....and he's bummed about that..

it's just a mess... :headache::headache:

The governor called off going to the schools for the rest of the semester on Tuesday. Online instruction continues.

The school district will be celebrating the seniors with pictures on Facebook. And will announce other plans

I was compelled to order supplies from Michael's yesterday to decorate our front doors and windows to celebrate our graduating daughter who has accomplished so much. I started gathering memorabilia from around the house last night to go with the Michael's purchases and have staged it in our dining room.

She rolled her eyes and said, 'You know this is for you, right?' Yeah, but that's beside the point. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter