parents of Gymnasts,........I have a question

npmommie

<font color=red>Channels George Michael in her car
what level is your dd at and how many hours/days is required for practice time?

My dd is training L9, she goes to a regular school so that factors into her hours. During school she trains 20 hrs a week, 4hrs a day (3:30-7:30pm)/5 days a week. She could be there later though, it really depends on if she finishes her assignments or if she has to go back and do other things. I will say that she rarely ever leaves right at 7:30. During the summer she will be training 24hrs a week. 2 days at 6 hrs and 3 days at 4 hrs M-F, no weekends.

Well what my dd does is a form of gymnastics, trampoline and tumbling. She is only level 6 so works out 3-4 days a week for 3 hours and then goes in for open training 3 hours on Sat night. Also until this week was taking a private with a coach at another cheer gym for tumbling for an hour. Over for summer. However, this week they are preparing for J.O. Nationals in Virginia Beach next week so she is doing 4 days of 4-5 hours +; her choice. Also during the summer she often goes all day as in 9am to 7pm.

I looked at her gym's gymnastic team schedule and it looks like Levels 5-6 are about 4 days a week for 4 hours and Levels 7 and up are 5 days a week for 4 hours. Of course my dd only has 3 events (as opposed to 4 for regular) and less kids on the team than conventional gymnastics teams, so need less time to train. Her gym from what I understand wins often in gymnastics.

Just know they have to love it. It can't be a chore. I wonder how my dd can be in that stinky gym so many hours, but those are her friends and tramp and tumbling are her passions.

what level is your dd at and how many hours/days is required for practice time?

My DD10 recently quit. But before she quit this was her schedule
Started out at
Level 4- 9 hours per week and moved the next year to:
Level 5- 15 hours per week

This became too much for her last summer and she then moved to Prep-Opt (a less competitive form of competitive gymnastics)
Prep-Novice- 6 hours

She decided to quit after her coach chewed them out for doing horribly at a meet (they came in first out of 14 teams!) When I saw the photos from that meet and saw the glare that the coach was giving my DD when she was on the beam at the meet I didn't blame her and had no problem with her quiting even though I miss watching her.

Up until then with her previous coach she LOVED it and I think it is so good for them. She excels at any other sport she has tried since she began gymnastics, I think it is the skills she gained from gymnastics.

Good luck to your DD!

Mom of a level 5 here, for the summer it is 4 days a week for a total of 13 hours, school year was 3 nights for a total of 11.5 hours with the option of 3 hours extra on Saturday am.

thanks for all the responses.
my dd is working on her level 4 skills and they decided to increase gym time for the summer
the level 3 and 4 girls used to do 2 days a week for 2 hours each time
now they are changing it to level 3 ........3 days a week for 2 hours ea
and level 4.....4 days a week for 2 hours ea day.
they increased the other levels too
she is still non sanctioned at this point

now my dd says she doesn't want to be in the gym that much over the summer and feels like she wants a break.
i told her they will make her try out again in the fall and her spot isn't guaranteed...........she still says she wants a break.

Level 5 here in MA.

During school it's only 7 hours a week and during the summer is 6 hours a week - but our gym requires the least amount of hours compared to other in our area.

At some meets I asked parent's at other gyms about their schedule and it seems like Level 5 is about 10-15 hours a week.

And let me tell you - it makes a BIG difference. Our girls can't compare to them.

Hope this helps!

I have a follow up question to some of the answers - what age is your child at xx level?

Dd will compete level 9 this coming season and she will be 14 in September, a freshman in HS.

DD first commpeted level 5 last winter season when she was 8 turning 9 in February. She was one of the younger level 5's on her team. This fall she will definately compete L5 for our compuslory season, and more than likely again for the winter season. Even with others moving into the level 5 team, she is still in the younger half of the team.

I coach gymnastics. In Texas compulsories compete in the Fall, so we just bumped up their hours for the Summer. My 3's work out nine hours a week. My 4's go ten and a half. My 5 and 6's work out 16 hours a week.

These are the practice times at DD's gym:
Level3 - 2 days of 3 hours plus optional 3 hours on Saturday (so 6-9 hours)
Level4 - 2 days of 3 hours plus 1 day of 4hrs (10hours total)
Level 5 - 3 days of 3 hours plus 1 day of 4hrs (13 hrs)
Level 6 - 4 days of 3 hours plus 1 day of 4hrs (16 hrs)
Level 7-8 - 3 days of 4 hours plus 2 days of 3 hours (18 hrs)

DD is 10 and competed level 4 last year during 4th grade. She is hoping to compete Level 5 this season - she missed a month of vault & floor due to injury this spring (couldn't run or jump...) and needs to make her vault and tumbling passes "prettier" to pass her skill test. So she is currently practicing 13-16 hours a week (level 5 schedule plus make-up practices) to catch up. It is all her idea. She even has a conditioning plan for when we are on vacation. This is a very self-motivated sport. What I see in our DD and her teammates is a love for gymnastics and dedication to themselves and their team. They have a great time at practice, but it is definitely work!

From speaking with parents at other gyms at meets, our girls' practice schedules seem to be somewhere in the middle - some practice more hours, some less. Many of the parents commented on how fit/toned/muscular the girls in our gym are, which led to discussions of conditioning - seems like our gym does more than average. The girls just accept it as part of practice; it is funny - their conditioning was recently increased, and I didn't even hear a single complaint about it in carpool this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter