Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Missing my kiddo too! We had a good break and she was missing her friends at the end if the month.

She just found out that the marching band is going to Paris in May 2016! They will be celebrating the bands 50th anniversary! They are playing at the Effiel Tower, Normandy, and Disneyland Paris! She will be taking a study abroad class that helps cut the cost in half :) She will be there for 2 weeks total. There is a side trip to London on the bullet train planned. DH and I are hoping to be able to swing going. Good thing she is fluent in French!

That is very exciting! That's great that that by studying abroad she will be able to cut the cost in half. I hope you and your husband are able to join her.

DD has been back in school for 2 weeks and says that so far it is easier than the first semester, but her two labs start next week so we'll see if she changes her mind.

On her way to TN after Christmas over the break to visit her BF, her luggage was lost so she was without clothes, makeup, etc.. until the following afternoon. She cut off 14 inches of hair that next day and donated it to Wigs for Kids. This is the first time she's had shorter hair since she was 6 years old.

On her travel day back home from TN, her flight got cancelled after she sat at the airport for a few hours waiting because the flight kept getting delayed. It was cancelled due to a snowstorm in Chicago where her plane had a stop-over. She had to stay one more night and left the next morning at 6:00am. So she went through two tearful goodbyes with her bf!

The morning after she got back, she came down with a sore throat which got worse over the weekend along with a fever, but she went back to her dorm and trudged through classes on that first Monday back. She texted me that night feeling awful saying she thought she had strep. She had a rapid strep test done the next morning at the student health center, but it was negative. As the week went on, her throat got worse to where she couldn't eat or drink because it hurt so bad from the blisters, but she didn't go back to the health center, nor to an urgent care. Friday night DD sent a picture of her throat to a doctor friend and he called in a prescription to a 24 hr pharmacy since it was late. Now a week later, DD is feeling much better. This was her first illness since starting college. Hopefully she will stay healthy now. The flu has finally hit here, and she doesn't want to have any part of it!

For those who have kids away that may need care like DD, tell your kids about Doctor on Demand online. The docs do video visits and can prescribe meds. It's $40 for a visit. I told DD to use this service, but she ended up not needing the service.
http://www.doctorondemand.com

Glad to hear that everyone's news. Our daughter actually started a week before we did and has been back for three weeks now. So far, this semester is better than last. Today was one of those moments for us that will seem so trivial but is so big that I'll be on the phone after my own class tonight letting family know.

The news is that our daughter was asked today by someone she's been spending time with if she wanted to be roommates next year. She (my daughter) is in a single this semester but wanted to try the roommate thing again next year. She assumed she'd go through the selection process all over again but this is so much better. It seems like such a small thing but it means that she's making connections and that is so very hard for her. The text today just had me in tears. I want so badly for this kid of ours to have that college experience of friends and the idea that it might be happening on some small level is just incredible.

Our own semester is fine. I really thought the kid going to college was going to the big change this year but my husband being the new chair of the department has turned out to be way bigger. It's meant big changes for our family as he's working pretty much nonstop but he's loving the challenge and we're figuring things out. I miss him though - even though we work at the same college we're not seeing much of each other these days.

Thinking about all of you. I keep the thread open and was happy to see the new posts.

Well, my son messed up. He flunked one of his core classes. He is pretty upset about it and didn't want to tell me until my husband talked him into it.
I was totally surprised - I knew he would hate the class but figured he'd work hard at it just to get it over with.

So now he has to take it over again this semester. He swears he will not mess around and will pass it this time. He kept telling me he was sorry and he'd pay us back so at least he's being an adult about it.

And on the opposite spectrum he ace'd his math and science classes but then he likes those much better than language arts type classes.

He doesn't have a roommate again this semester so he has alot of space being in a 2 person room but only him in it.

I texted him pictures of all the stuff piled in his room here at home since we are going to have hardwood floors put on the first floor of the house and are using his room to put everything in - he said it had better all be out when he comes home for spring break. LOL

Well, my son messed up. He flunked one of his core classes. He is pretty upset about it and didn't want to tell me until my husband talked him into it.
I was totally surprised - I knew he would hate the class but figured he'd work hard at it just to get it over with.

So now he has to take it over again this semester. He swears he will not mess around and will pass it this time. He kept telling me he was sorry and he'd pay us back so at least he's being an adult about it.

And on the opposite spectrum he ace'd his math and science classes but then he likes those much better than language arts type classes.

He doesn't have a roommate again this semester so he has alot of space being in a 2 person room but only him in it.

I texted him pictures of all the stuff piled in his room here at home since we are going to have hardwood floors put on the first floor of the house and are using his room to put everything in - he said it had better all be out when he comes home for spring break. LOL

Sounds like he is a good kid and has learned his lesson.

Glad to hear that everyone's news. Our daughter actually started a week before we did and has been back for three weeks now. So far, this semester is better than last. Today was one of those moments for us that will seem so trivial but is so big that I'll be on the phone after my own class tonight letting family know.

The news is that our daughter was asked today by someone she's been spending time with if she wanted to be roommates next year. She (my daughter) is in a single this semester but wanted to try the roommate thing again next year. She assumed she'd go through the selection process all over again but this is so much better. It seems like such a small thing but it means that she's making connections and that is so very hard for her. The text today just had me in tears. I want so badly for this kid of ours to have that college experience of friends and the idea that it might be happening on some small level is just incredible.

Our own semester is fine. I really thought the kid going to college was going to the big change this year but my husband being the new chair of the department has turned out to be way bigger. It's meant big changes for our family as he's working pretty much nonstop but he's loving the challenge and we're figuring things out. I miss him though - even though we work at the same college we're not seeing much of each other these days.

Thinking about all of you. I keep the thread open and was happy to see the new posts.

Oh my goodness! I am so happy for you and your DD. Fingers crossed that all goes well!

This is so wonderful!!! I can imagine how it's just fills your heart!!!

Well, my son messed up. He flunked one of his core classes.

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like he is going to make sure it never happens again.

Sending my dd back after Christmas broke my heart all over again. It didn't last as long this time, but it was still so hard.

She just got her first job! They are finally opening a Chipotle in the town across the river from school, and she and 2 of her friends were hired. It's not even open yet, and I am surprised they hired college kids who will only be in town until mid May, but I would hope they expected that since they recruited on campus. We shall see. I can't imagine my dd working in fast food, but I said the same about my son and he worked at DQ for 3 1/2 years.

She is having a bit of rooming drama. She decided she doesn't want to live off campus, so she talked a few girls into trying for an on campus apt. Then the others changed their mind, so she was cool with that, and both she and her current roommate were going to get singles for next year (roommate is going to be mentor so they all are put in single rooms, not because they dont still like each other LOL). Then the apt girls find an off campus apt, really fantastic place, right across the street, and they need a 4th. So they ask my dd. She would like to live here, since it's almost on campus. They cant guarantee an apt will open up in the summer, they think one will, but can't promise. Dd doesn't want to live off campus if it's farther away, but would live here. They know this, but then apparently another girl they asked first (before they found the one so close) had said probably not, has now changed her mind. They don't want to tell her no, unless my dd is for sure going to go with them. So she has to decide now, if she will move with them, even if they don't get this place, or to just stay on campus in a single. Silly drama, but drama still. Whew, did you follow all that?? :)

And now my final long tidbit... dh is going to German in August to visit his brother and family. No way we can afford to fly all 4 so he was going alone. He told my son he could go if he paid his flight (he has a full time job and lives at home still). My son told me he didn't think he wanted to go. I kinda wanted him to, so my dd and I could take a girls trip before she goes back to school. DH has never really cared for the trips without the whole family, so we've never done a girls trip (and he tells me that it seems like I favor my dd. We spend more time together because we like the same things, and my ds lives on his computer and never leaves his room). Finally I tell him I want to take her somewhere while he's gone, and then we can take ds somewhere too in the fall. He agrees with this, so I go tell ds I want to take dd to Disney and ask if he would like to go the F&W Festival in the fall. He says ok, and I'm like, well don't get too excited... and he says, well I was thinking I want to go Germany, but I would like to go to F&W too LOL. UGH, if he would have said that earlier this whole concept would have been much better. So, he decides to go to Germany. So long long story not so short, dh and ds are going to Germany in August and then the day they return dd and I are going to Disney for a week!!!!!!!!! We are both so excited for a girls only trip.
The guys leave on July 31st, and we will leave at the same time they return, so it will be be just us girls from July 31st to August 18th. That will be weird. And then a couple days after we return, she goes back to school :guilty:, but at least we will have all that time together.

Holy moly, sorry about all that! Can you tell I've had a lot on my mind? My MIL is also dying, so that has caused a lot of drama and strains in planning.

Hope all is well for everyone is second semester! I can't believe we survived the first semester and we are more than halfway through the year!

Elgerber, it sounds like everything will work out perfectly with the vacations. I completely understand how you would like to spend some girl time with your daughter. I'm sure you both will have a wonderful time. Your son will probably have a great time too in Germany.

That's disappointing about the class. A lot of freshman struggle the first semester. In fact, the school recommended that the freshman take only 12 credits the first semester. Since my son is liberal arts, he took more. But wow, some of the courses that his friends took seemed difficult. I think that first semester is such a huge adjustment.

Are you able to see mid-term grades? I have a parent's account set up where I can see my son's mid-term grades.

That is such wonderful news! I'm so glad your DD is making such great connections. I remember how worried you were before school started in the fall. This makes my heart happy!

It sounds like he learned his lesson. If he ever goes on to grad school, the admissions committees are usually very forgiving of first semester grades as long as the trend is upward from now on. Your DS is showing his maturity by taking responsibility instead of giving you excuses.

DD has her first two exams of the semester this week. The TA for her Bio class has been very confused though. Last Thursday she told DD's lab section that the test was going to cover chapters 1-6 (for the class test, not the lab). DD told me the professor had only lectured over chapters 1-3, so she was a bit stressed about that. Then the TA sent an email on Thursday night saying the test would be covering chapters 1,2,3,5, and 6, but not chapter 4. So DD spent several hours on Saturday reading and outlining chapters 5 and 6. Then last night she got another email from the TA saying the test was only covering chapters 1-3! So she wasted hours of study time learning the material of chapters she didn't need to know yet instead of focusing on the chapters that will be on the test. Today was a busy day with volunteer work and a Superbowl party, so she was pretty upset that she had to get up at 6:00am (on a Sunday) to study since she had no other time in the day. At least she will now be a little ahead with the reading. That TA needs to get her act together.

Just checking in. The second semester is going much better for my son. We were going to spend his spring break touring other universities, but he has seen the light and realized that he is exactly where he needs to be. It looks like the people in his Army ROTC unit really like him and he will most likely have opportunities for summer programs that he might get if he changed schools. He was one of 12 freshman Army ROTC kids chosen to represent his school today in an event for prospective students. I think he realizes that the worst is behind him with the Corps initiation and it will get better. He applied for a scholarship for the study abroad trip to Africa and we should know something in a month or so. I love his school. They have so much to offer and I am thrilled he is going to stay.

How is everyone's child doing this semester? I can't believe the school year is going by so quickly.

That is great news Bluestars. I'm glad things are evening out for your son.

Second semester has been a bit more challenging for ds but after an impromptu trip home last weekend and time in his own bed and bath plus talks with mom and dad, things are looking up. I go pick him up on the 20th (his birthday) for spring break. Yes already!!! Can't believe he is almost halfway thru the semester!!

I have a son starting his senior year, so I will join this thread.

He's been back and forth about several schools, but is thinking of applying to Rensselaer Polytech in NY. Has anyone heard of this school? We are flying out there for a tour in September. If he really likes it, he will apply for early decision.

Does anyone have experience with early decision? From what I have read, it's easier to get into a school if you do this, but you are committed to that school.

He has taken the ACT several times and has good scores, but he will take it at least two more times to see if he can improve.

He's doing all of the other things like clubs, community service, National Honor Society, debate team, sports, government, etc.

I haven't booked his senior pictures yet. From reading this thread, I guess I am behind.

I thought it would be fun to look up the first message I ever posted on this thread. So much has happened since then. He ended up not doing early decision because he toured Texas A&M and liked that school too. At the beginning of his senior year, they had all of the seniors write something and then stick it in an envelope that they got back at the end of the year. My son had written that he wanted to get scholarships to Rensselaer and A & M. He got what he wanted because he got accepted into both schools and those were two of the three schools where he could have used his ROTC scholarship (based on a list of 5 schools he had given the board).

That is great news Bluestars. I'm glad things are evening out for your son.

Second semester has been a bit more challenging for ds but after an impromptu trip home last weekend and time in his own bed and bath plus talks with mom and dad, things are looking up. I go pick him up on the 20th (his birthday) for spring break. Yes already!!! Can't believe he is almost halfway thru the semester!!

I am glad the weekend trip home was what your son needed to get back on track. The challenging time for our son was right before finals. He wanted to drop out of the Corps after that semester. My husband talked him down from the ledge and it's been much better ever since then. I think sometimes the kids need encouragement from their parents to stick with everything. The stressful times will come and go, but they never last. They just need to get through the hurdles. I hope you have fun with him on his spring break.

Question: How does housing work in your school? DS's school is a lottery based on how many credits you have. When your number comes up, you get to pick your housing. Unless you gather a group together and apply for theme housing. DS really wants a single but was basically told no. IT could happen but is very unlikely. We can't even pay extra for it.

Question: How does housing work in your school? DS's school is a lottery based on how many credits you have. When your number comes up, you get to pick your housing. Unless you gather a group together and apply for theme housing. DS really wants a single but was basically told no. IT could happen but is very unlikely. We can't even pay extra for it.
This is pretty much how my daughters works too. First you can apply to stay in your current room. You may or may not be allowed to. Then they have a lottery for campus apartments, there are not many so pretty much only the upper upper get those. There are also some suites that have a lottery. Not sure how hard those are to get. They were 4 person suites but apparently they are switching them to two person suites. After that is the single room lottery. Like yours based on credits. My dd had zero problem getting a single so they must have plenty this year, they even posted on Facebook that if you missed the lottery you could still come down and pick a single.
She is still not 100% sure she will keep the single or move off campus with friends, but i think the single is where she will stay. She is coming home this afternoon so I will be able to talk to her face to face about it.

Just checking in. The second semester is going much better for my son. We were going to spend his spring break touring other universities, but he has seen the light and realized that he is exactly where he needs to be. It looks like the people in his Army ROTC unit really like him and he will most likely have opportunities for summer programs that he might get if he changed schools. He was one of 12 freshman Army ROTC kids chosen to represent his school today in an event for prospective students. I think he realizes that the worst is behind him with the Corps initiation and it will get better. He applied for a scholarship for the study abroad trip to Africa and we should know something in a month or so. I love his school. They have so much to offer and I am thrilled he is going to stay.

How is everyone's child doing this semester? I can't believe the school year is going by so quickly.

Wow, that is great news! I'm so glad things are looking up for your DS. What a relief for you, too! It's so hard when we know our kids are struggling. We feel their pain right along with them. I'm so glad things are looking up!

For DD's housing they base room selection on when the housing contract is signed, but single rooms are based on class seniority, and I believe there's a waitlist for those rooms. Last summer there was a "room selection" day that I went to with DD. Those who signed the housing contract the earliest, got to choose their rooms first. We had to wait about an hour and a half for her to be called to go select her room, but there was food and raffle prize give-always to help pass the time. Her roommate was in another state and trusted DD to choose the room. The other dorms are based on a lottery with the apartments-style dorms mostly going to juniors and seniors.

Second semester is going okay. The newness of being in college is gone, as are the fun outdoorsy activities that went on 1st semester. She got her first "C" on a chemestry test and was bummed about it all day. She walked out of the exam feeling confident that she did well, so the grade was a bit of a shock. She went to see the professor during office hours on Friday to ask about how she can do better on the next exam. The professor went over her test with her and found two grading errors by his TA, so that raised her grade from a C to a B. It usually pays to visit professors during office hours. DD almost didn't go because she heard the guy could be rude, but she said he was nice and gave her some good study tips for the next exam.

Spring break is in two weeks, but the weather has been spring-like here for the past few weeks with temps in the 60s and 70s. Allergy season is upon us!

Spring break is in two weeks, but the weather has been spring-like here for the past few weeks with temps in the 60s and 70s. Allergy season is upon us!

I am so jealous of the spring-like weather...as here in the NE it I'm not sure we even have grass anymore. LOL

Wow, that is great news! I'm so glad things are looking up for your DS. What a relief for you, too! It's so hard when we know our kids are struggling. We feel their pain right along with them. I'm so glad things are looking up!

For DD's housing they base room selection on when the housing contract is signed, but single rooms are based on class seniority, and I believe there's a waitlist for those rooms. Last summer there was a "room selection" day that I went to with DD. Those who signed the housing contract the earliest, got to choose their rooms first. We had to wait about an hour and a half for her to be called to go select her room, but there was food and raffle prize give-always to help pass the time. Her roommate was in another state and trusted DD to choose the room. The other dorms are based on a lottery with the apartments-style dorms mostly going to juniors and seniors.

Second semester is going okay. The newness of being in college is gone, as are the fun outdoorsy activities that went on 1st semester. She got her first "C" on a chemestry test and was bummed about it all day. She walked out of the exam feeling confident that she did well, so the grade was a bit of a shock. She went to see the professor during office hours on Friday to ask about how she can do better on the next exam. The professor went over her test with her and found two grading errors by his TA, so that raised her grade from a C to a B. It usually pays to visit professors during office hours. DD almost didn't go because she heard the guy could be rude, but she said he was nice and gave her some good study tips for the next exam.

That's great that there were errors found and it raised her grade to a B. I am sure that made her feel better.

The weather where I live has not been spring-like. I am ready for the warm weather. My son is staying at school for spring break. He and a few friends might drive to Galveston for a few days. I am glad that he wants to stay at school. At Christmas break, he couldn't wait to come home.

My DD is still loving school. She signed the lease on an apartment for next year. The dorms are the only thing that she dislikes about her school and I have to say that I agree. We have paid a ridiculous amount this year for really substandard living. DH was at a conference near her last week so he drove over Friday to look at the apartment that she chose. It was an easy decision for us for her to make the move but her 5 best friends this year all have parents that are firm on a second year in the dorms. That does make me second guess a little. DD was confident in her decision though so she's renting with a few girls in her department. The apartment is right across the street from the University and will actually be closer to her department building than her dorm.

She and her senior year boyfriend got back together in early December so she visits TAMU some Bluestars as that's his school. It's really a great school. If they had DD's major, I would have encouraged her to go there. Glad that your DS is feeling happier.

DD and her boyfriend are taking a trip for part of Spring Break and then she'll be home for a few days.

People are having spring like weather?? We didn't hit zero today LOL.
Dd was home for a quick weekend, and I got some inner ear thing and was half functioning. I haven't been sick in forever, why this weekend? At least it was easy to binge watch some stuff on Friday, but Saturday during the day I wasn't up for much since I had to save my strength up for our theater tickets that night. Today she went back, will I ever not cry when she leaves? Even though she'll be home in 3 weeks, I still cried. Not that much this time. This was a tough stretch, it was the longest ever without seeing her.
She has decided for sure to live in a single room on campus. She really doesn't want to move off campus. She doesn't like to cook and she really likes the convenience. Her room next year is in the only dorm thats on the same block with all the academic buildings, student union, dining hall and wellness center so she will be super close to everything. She is only across a street now, but this will be even closer LOL.
Crazy to think our kids are in the home stretch for the first year. It's all whizzing by!

IDoDis, glad the professor was able to work with your daughter. That is scary though, that TA's are grading and making mistakes that can drop a whole letter grade! Wonder how many others might have mistakes that don't question.

On a non freshman note, my 21 year old son lost his IT job today. They called him at home, how rude. No reason given. Isn't it weird he wouldn't have to sign papers or anything? He has benefits through there. Now he has no insurance and I can't cover him, since he's not a student. Oh, I guess I can medical, but not dental. Grrrrr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter