• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents' names on invitations questions

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Do the parents' names only go on there if the parents are paying for the wedding?

My parents are helping out with the reception & my DF's mom does not have any money to contribute (she struggles financially on her own) but I don't want her to feel left out.

Do I include both of their names on the invitation wording or none of their names?

I would ask your parents what they think.

My parents are contributing but DF's are not, so my parents (and us) thought it was best to not put any names.:confused3

The name on the invitation is the name of the person hosting the event. If FMIL is not hosting, then she does not go on the invitation. Some brides put the IL's name on just to keep the peace....but i think that sets a standard for rolling over and doing what they want you to do very early on. :rotfl: Be firm! if you don't want her name on the invite, don't put it on. It's your wedding, not hers.

you don't have to include your DF's parents names if they are not contributing. we went back and forth on this, also feeling bad not mentioning DF's parents, so we ended up with...

(Dad) and (Mom) invite you
To join their daughter,
ME!
and
MY HONEY
Son of (his dad) and (his mom)

We used "Together with our parents..." and then DH and my names. That seemed to solve the issue...

My parents are paying for the major portion of the wedding, DF's are not contributing at all (not due to financial constraints). Since my parents are "hosting" the event, they are on the invitation DF's parents are not.

Thank you-this makes sense! My parents are contributing some, my FMIL is not (she does not have much money). I really like my FMIL and didn't want her to feel left out.

I like the "Together with our parents..." idea!

Thank you!

your really should do one with out the other.

we didnt put either on our invites.

Do what you want.

My parents are contributing to a lot of the costs. It was very important to my mother that her name appear on the invitation.

DF's parents are divorced and there is a stepparent and it became too complex. I asked DF and he thought it was fine to have my parents since they're the hosts.

I know a girl whose mom was estranged from her, she certainly wouldn't put her name on the invitation. Don't feel like you HAVE to do it a certain way. It all depends on the individual people and situations.

We had both sets of parents names on the invite. I liked the way it looked and sounded which is why we did it. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with who paid for what. If you want their names on there, put them. If not, leave them off. In this day and age so many couples pay for thier own weddings that I don't think it always means that's who's paying.

We paid for our wedding entirely ourselves, but my DH was very insistent that his parents wanted their names on the invite, so we came up with:

The pleasure of your company is requested
for the wedding of

Daniel *last name*
son of Mr & Mrs. *his parent's names*

&

Meg *last name*
daughter of Ms. *my mom's name* (side note: my father was not at the wedding, long story)

date,location,etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter