• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parental permission for Grandma traveling with Grandson?

SusanJN

Earning My Ears
Do we need any special documentation (i.e. notarized letter) for a Grandma to travel with her Grandson without the parents? Would this be a problem either with the airline or the resort/parks?

No

No you don't need anything for the airlines or the parks.

There is another thread going on already that discusses making sure they have his insurance card with them, if he needs any medical care.

Do we need any special documentation (i.e. notarized letter) for a Grandma to travel with her Grandson without the parents? Would this be a problem either with the airline or the resort/parks?

No documentation required. How would the people you present it to (TSA, Disney) know it's real anyway? But, the insurance info is a must.

No-
Flying you don't need ID for travelers under 18.

I travel often with my neices and my godson as well as my kids, the TSA simply asks the names and waives them through - even my 17yo

Possible Medical Emergency - get the insurance card and your set. They will treat in the event of an emergency.

Some folks recommend a letter authorizing medical treatment which I used to carry but no longer bother. Even when I had a permission letter they contact the parents prior to non emergency treatment anyway so the note no longer really serves a purpose ~ IMHO

in the limits of your question - no, you do not need anything more

What IF .. God forbid .. the child was hurt and you could not be reached quickly?

When my kids spend time with Granny (they spent 2 months on the farm in a typical summer growing up) I sent a limited power of attorney that authorized medical decisions and travel.

do you TRUST granny with this power?

in the limits of your question - no, you do not need anything more

What IF .. God forbid .. the child was hurt and you could not be reached quickly?

When my kids spend time with Granny (they spent 2 months on the farm in a typical summer growing up) I sent a limited power of attorney that authorized medical decisions and travel.

do you TRUST granny with this power?

I would never give power of attorney to anyone! It isn't needed and is dangerous overkill. N

If they are seriously injured they will be treated. If they have an ear infection they will try to get in touch with a parent. With all the electronic communication and cell phones it would be extremely rare that a parent would be out of communication for more than a couple hours.

We always took a copy of medical insurance cards and had the parent get a notarized note giving us permission to make decision in an emergency if they couldn't be reached. We never needed the letter but you never know when an emergency can happen.

We always took a copy of medical insurance cards and had the parent get a notarized note giving us permission to make decision in an emergency if they couldn't be reached. We never needed the letter but you never know when an emergency can happen.

This is what I do when I travel with my grandkids. In the case of my eldest GD, I always get two. Her parents are divorced. Even though I get along fine with my ex D-I-L, my son does not, so even though she laughs at me, I'm still a little leary of what she might pull if her and my son get into it. To be on the safe side I get a notarized letter from both her parents saying I have their permission to take her out of state from this date to this date and can obtain any medical treatment that she may need. I then get her insurance card from my son. Thankfully, I've never needed either and have never even been questioned by TSA at the airports (or anyone else for that matter), but just feel better having it.

Chances are very high the medical provider will contact the parents, regardless of whatever paperwork you carry. It's not a bad idea to have it, but it probably won't be used as the basis for big or small medical decisions. In an extreme emergency the child will be treated regardless of paperwork.
Maybe the best thing is for the parents to keep (and they already probably do) their cell phone charged and at hand.

DH & I took DGS (my son & DGS's mom are not nor were they ever married and DO NOT even speak to each other [GROW UP!!!!]) to WDW a couple of months ago. She was supposed to get a statement notarized for us. I even typed the @#$@ thing up but she couldn't be bothered although she did at least sign it in the presence of a witness & had them sign it for whatever that was worth. We also had his birth certificate and a copy of his ins card.

TSA at our home airport looked at his boarding pass, smiled at him & asked "are you Jayson?" DGS smiled back and said "yes". That was it for the week.

It never happened but I was more worried about how we'd prove he was ours if we lost him. I have years worth of pictures on my phone, he'd probably run to us when he saw us but how would they know it was ok to release him to us? Just a question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter