Paraplegic on roller coasters?

FortForever

Disney since Day 1
Would Disney allow it assuming the person had the upper body strength to transfer from chair to ride?

Quick backstory -
My oldest son was on a motorcycle when broadsided by a van 7 years ago. It left him paralized from mid back down.

This son, along with all my others, grew up going to WDW. He has not been since the accident.

He may need help from my other sons to get back out on Space Mntn or Rockin Roller Coaster, but would only take a minute.

Would WDW stop for a minute so he could get on and off?

I would really like to get him and his GF down here for family vacation.

Just trying to find out if there are things he could not do.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using DISBoards

Would Disney allow it assuming the person had the upper body strength to transfer from chair to ride?

Quick backstory -
My oldest son was on a motorcycle when broadsided by a van 7 years ago. It left him paralized from mid back down.

This son, along with all my others, grew up going to WDW. He has not been since the accident.

He may need help from my other sons to get back out on Space Mntn or Rockin Roller Coaster, but would only take a minute.

Would WDW stop for a minute so he could get on and off?

I would really like to get him and his GF down here for family vacation.

Just trying to find out if there are things he could not do.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using DISBoards

Your best option is to call because I can't remember the exact rules but I will say I met a guy who was paralyzed from his middle back down. He said he still loves Disney because many rides he is able to use his own wheelchair and others he can transfer to. I know he said at Rockin there was a room where he could test if he could transfer or not. He said it was great so he could practice before he tried it on his own. I know Test Track has a car on the outside that is similar. It is typically for the rides where there is a drop down into the ride seat that they have a practice area. I suggest you take a look here

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/mobility-disabilities/

They also list a number you can call.

I would not bother calling because you are not likely to get anyone who actually has the information you need. The WDW website is also pretty general, not much specific information.

There are several regular posters on this board who are paraplegic and there is quite a bit of information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
You can get to that thread by following the link in my signature or look near the top of this board. Post 3 of that thread has a lot of information, including a number of links to threads with information on touring with a wheelchair, which have some very specific information about transferring.
Post 18-21 were written for ECV users originally, but have information on types of transfers also.

The following frequent posters will have information that is helpful to you.
BillSears is a T8 para.
Michigan has 2 daughters with spina bifida.
mrsksomeday's significant other has cerebral palsy and has any of the same issues with transferring that your son would have.

Test Track, Rock N Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest have test cars you can practice getting in and out with before going to the actual boarding area (practicing getting out is just as important because that may be more difficult than getting in).
The roller coaster type rides have a very short 'window' of time for getting in and out. That is wh practice is so important. As far as I remember, Rock N Roller coaster and Space Mountain have about a 30 second 'window' for transfers. Plus, Space Mountain is a transfer almost to/from the floor.

I don't have info about Rockin Rollercoaster we didn't do that one or Space Mountain.

For Test Track let the CM know you want to transfer by the seat belt check area. Transfer him into the front seat there is more leg room.

The only roller coasters my girls do are Thunder Mountain and the Goofy one in Fantasyland. Thunder Mountain has a transfer seat that folds down for an easy transfer. Goofy's last row has a wider opening.

He should request to load upstairs on Test Track and request the booster seat making the transfer easier. They also have a transfer bar if he needs something to pull himself over with. (We have never used the transfer bar but it has been offered to us before).

Also on Kali River Rapids he can request the transfer steps that will allow him to slide over from his chair and bump down the steps into the ride.

Both of my daughters are paras and we spend 6 months of the year 8 miles from Disney and go a lot.

I'm a T8 complete paraplegic and I've ridden all of the coasters at WDW. I've never had any problems with the rides themselves since I can hold onto the ride restraints and keep myself steady. Now getting on and off of some of them is tough but since he'll have assistance I'd say he should be fine.

The worst coaster for me is Space Mountain because it's so low to the ground. Getting in is easy because gravity does all of the work. Getting out is as bad or worse than a ground to chair transfer. But again since his brothers are there to assist he should be OK. I'd advise getting out of the vehicle first and then go from the floor to the chair.

I've ridden BTMRR, Expedition Everest and Rock and Roller Coaster by myself when I've done solo trips to WDW. The transfers are not easy but if a 54 year old guy can handle it then your son should be fine with a little help.

Have fun!

I'm so very impressed with the quick responses from everyone a PP suggested could help.

You people are so helpful it brings tears to my eyes.

What a wonderful group.

BillSears said:
I'm a T8 complete paraplegic and I've ridden all of the coasters at WDW. I've never had any problems with the rides themselves since I can hold onto the ride restraints and keep myself steady. Now getting on and off of some of them is tough but since he'll have assistance I'd say he should be fine.

The worst coaster for me is Space Mountain because it's so low to the ground. Getting in is easy because gravity does all of the work. Getting out is as bad or worse than a ground to chair transfer. But again since his brothers are there to assist he should be OK. I'd advise getting out of the vehicle first and then go from the floor to the chair.

I've ridden BTMRR, Expedition Everest and Rock and Roller Coaster by myself when I've done solo trips to WDW. The transfers are not easy but if a 54 year old guy can handle it then your son should be fine with a little help.

Have fun!

First I would like to thank everyone for all the respones! Prior to coming here I honestly thought most rides were out of the question for my son.

BillSears, I was excited to read that you have done all the coasters! My son is T7 with a completely severed spinal cord.

He is 27 and has built up a huge amont of upper body strength since the accident. He can go from floor to chair with no help and is very independant.

Thanks for the suggestion about going from ride to floor first. My biggest concern was how awkward it is to get out even for me, especially Space Mountain. I kept imagining him trying to go directly to his chair.

I know my son would do fine on the rides, just the obvious transfer concern. My son is a thrill seeker and he is going to be excited to find out he can still do thrill rides! I will call him this evening.

We will have some muscle along in the form of my other sons (23 & 20) but I am so encouraged that you have done it on your own. :-)

These past seven years have held huge changes for our family. It's so awesome to know we can do a family trip to WDW like we did pre-accident.

We never talked about it before since it would be too hard for our son to see siblings doing things he could no longer do.

Once again, my sincere thanks for ALL of the replies!

The only roller coasters my girls do are Thunder Mountain and the Goofy one in Fantasyland. Thunder Mountain has a transfer seat that folds down for an easy transfer. Goofy's last row has a wider opening.

He should request to load upstairs on Test Track and request the booster seat making the transfer easier. They also have a transfer bar if he needs something to pull himself over with. (We have never used the transfer bar but it has been offered to us before).

Also on Kali River Rapids he can request the transfer steps that will allow him to slide over from his chair and bump down the steps into the ride.

Both of my daughters are paras and we spend 6 months of the year 8 miles from Disney and go a lot.
Funny - we have never used the booster set, but have used the transfer bar.

My daughter has cerebral palsy and we have to lift her into ride cars. If I am alone, she can do a stand and pivot transfer, but my DH likes to do the brute lift.

She has not been on the mountains because her muscle tone would make it too difficult. Of the thrill rides, she has been on Tower of Terror, Test Track, Star Tours, Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids.

One I would STRONGLY recommend NOT going on is Primeval Whirl. It is like a roller coaster combined with the teacups and look deceptively tame from the ground. Because she can't brace herself with her legs, she slid down and was nearly off the seat by the time the ride ended.

Here at some pictures for you:
2590TT_alternate_boarding_3.JPG

This is the 'seat belt check' area that other posters mentioned for boarding at Test Track. The ride has been re themed, but the boarding area is still the same.

2590P4200190.JPG

This is the accessible boarding spot for Kali River Rapids. Follow the instructions in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities or the CM at the entrance to the queue for where to go.
As an empty boat goes by, the CM opens the gate (the bar going across the water in the middle of the picture). That traps a boat so that it will not move until all the guests have boarded.
For exiting, the CMs do the same thing.
It is not an easy transfer. A wheelchair can be parked next to the boat, but you have to go down into the boat and then over to a seat. The seats are made of plastic and the seats and floors can be wet and slippery because of water coming into the boat. Once you have gotten into the boat, the CM will move your wheelchair out of the way. You will return to the same dock when your ride is over.

P9273693.JPG

Tower of Terror ride elevator and waiting area. The wheelchair can be pulled up to the elevator door, then you transfer to a ride seat. During the ride, the wheelchair will be brought to the exit.
P9273702.JPG

Tower of Terror ride seats - they have individual seat belts and grab bars.

P1030525.JPG

Big Thunder Mountain RailRoad. Since I was not with my daughter, I boarded in the regular boarding area. You can see guest's wheelchairs parked in the area where they boarded in the background of the picture.
Picture039.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain special ADA car (thanks to Bill Sears for photo).

Expedition_Everest_ADA_car.jpg

expedition Everest trial car (thanks to Bill Sears for the photo).

Also, on Pirates of Caribbean they will ask if he can walk 2 steps and step down into the boat but that isn't necessary. We ask for the last row because the opening is wide enough for the wheelchairs to fit into. Then my girls slide down onto the side of the boat and onto the seat. When we get back I put the chair right up against the boat and they push up onto the side of the boat and then push up into their chairs.

On Rock n Roller Coaster, you can tell the CM in the boarding area that you need extra time to transfer. Then, they will take you through to the exit and have you board there. It's much better than trying to transfer in the regular queue.

One reason I keep giving Disney all my disposable income is because they're so disability-friendly. If you can transfer into the vehicle, with or without assistance, they'll let you ride. Whereas I've been stopped from even getting into the queue of some rides at Six Flags just because I was in a chair. It didn't matter what physical condition I had or what I was capable of, Chair = nope, we don't wanna hear it, someone like you shouldn't even be here.

Space is definitely the hardest one to get back out of for anyone with lower body issues... I'm always really thankful that I'm very small and have a college athlete sister who can lift all 102 lbs of me out of that stupid car. I've had issues on Splash too because when you're seated, the incline of the seat is such that your knees are higher up than your butt, so it's like a roach motel for knee replacements. So simple to flop yourself in, but when you wanna leave... lol.

I'm sorry I missed this thread when I was looking this week. I don't post frequently, but I am usually looking to see where I can throw out some of my knowledge that might help or just make someone feel more comfortable.

Everyone has covered it, I think. I would say that Bill is right that he should be able to do it all, especially since he has help. Knowing you have that backup helps too. My two cents:

I agree that space probably has the biggest distance to cover, but doable.

POTC is not as low, but is difficult for some (I don't think it would be in his situation, though)

The only major attraction I have never ridden is Kali because I just don't want to sit in my chair wet afterwards.

Someone will correct me here but there are a couple you can't ride if you can't walk: Peter Pan, and People Mover for sure, can't remember any more.

Since being in the chair, I have always been nervous about roller coasters. Specifically, that my legs will go in some weird direction. That is not a worry for me on any Disney ride, your legs are in the vehicle comfortably and securely.

How tall is your son? I am about 6'3" and a couple of rides are a tight fit, so if he is tall it might help him to expect that.

If you have any more questions in general or about a specific ride, ask and someone will have the answer.

I could list specifics on more rides if you need it, but this post is getting long already.

I'm sorry I missed this thread when I was looking this week. I don't post frequently, but I am usually looking to see where I can throw out some of my knowledge that might help or just make someone feel more comfortable.

Everyone has covered it, I think. I would say that Bill is right that he should be able to do it all, especially since he has help. Knowing you have that backup helps too. My two cents:

I agree that space probably has the biggest distance to cover, but doable.

POTC is not as low, but is difficult for some (I don't think it would be in his situation, though)
I meant to post a picture of Pirates. Here it is. It shows the back row that Michigan mentioned.
2590P4110366.JPG

The only major attraction I have never ridden is Kali because I just don't want to sit in my chair wet afterwards.
That is probably a good choice. You can get just sprinkled or totally soaked - like this.
2590P4200205.JPG

It was pretty much like getting buckets of water dumped on us. DH and I were able to keep our feet fairly dry, but because DD can't keep hers on the foot bar, her feet get soaked.

Someone will correct me here but there are a couple you can't ride if you can't walk: Peter Pan, and People Mover for sure, can't remember any more.
the only other attraction would be Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
Since being in the chair, I have always been nervous about roller coasters. Specifically, that my legs will go in some weird direction. That is not a worry for me on any Disney ride, your legs are in the vehicle comfortably and securely.

How tall is your son? I am about 6'3" and a couple of rides are a tight fit, so if he is tall it might help him to expect that.

If you have any more questions in general or about a specific ride, ask and someone will have the answer.

I could list specifics on more rides if you need it, but this post is getting long already.
Feel free to add more information. More is always good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter