Paradise Pier or DLH

FrankAZ

Earning My Ears
Trying to Decide between the DLH or Paradise Pier (theme park view) - its a short last minute trip, and only going to be doing Disneyland. Or should I just do Tropicana and save the funds! (Were already going to WDW in a couple months as it is!)

Since were doing a single day - the 30 minute early is very appealing.

*addition - we are staying two nights, we have a prior engagement in San Diego on Saturday, so we'll be arriving 6:30 or so PM that evening, which is why Paradise Pier / Park View is being considering so we can "enjoy" world of color from a distance. The 30 minutes since our only park day is a Sunday.

Last edited:
Right now, neither. If you aren't going to splurge on the GCH, stay off property. Just my opinion.

If you just consider it buying the 30 minutes of early entry .... its a PPH stay...

Now based on that assumption, is the 30 minutes worth the difference in cost?

For only one night I'd probably just stay on Harbor. You won't really be at either hotel long enough to use the amenities. As said above, 30 minutes isn't really that much extra time. Instead of spending money on a resort hotel you could buy Genie+ and ILL instead.

That said...if you really want to be on property I'd do DLH. It's about 15 minutes to the esplanade and is a little bit closer than Paradise Pier. You'd also have the monorail for part of your trip. It runs from 8a-7p, but closes sometimes if it's too hot. I'd book a Downtown Disney view. When we stayed in June we were facing the pool and the construction spoiled the view and it was pretty loud.

I did a bit more details: probably should have had that in the initial post. *addition - we are staying two nights, we have a prior engagement in San Diego on Saturday, so we'll be arriving 6:30 or so PM that evening, which is why Paradise Pier / Park View is being considering so we can "enjoy" world of color from a distance. The 30 minutes since our only park day is a Sunday.

I did a bit more details: probably should have had that in the initial post. *addition - we are staying two nights, we have a prior engagement in San Diego on Saturday, so we'll be arriving 6:30 or so PM that evening, which is why Paradise Pier / Park View is being considering so we can "enjoy" world of color from a distance. The 30 minutes since our only park day is a Sunday.

You can't enjoy WOC from PPH. You can see some sideways fountain action from a great distance, with no sound. Definitely not a reason to stay at PPH.

I went to DLR and stayed at DLH last week. I have never felt this way before, but I have to honestly say that this time, it was NOT worth the money. I'm willing to pay the price to be on site when it's a deluxe experience. Currently, they're taking away as much as they can while still charging you premium prices. DLH has beautiful grounds and Trader Sam's/Tangaroa is good, but that is really all there is and it's overshadowed by the construction project looming above which is both an eye-sore and loud. They have not brought in any new dining to replace Steakhouse 55, they don't have enough staff (apparently) to offer all of the touches and services they always had pre-Covid, and the deluxe view room we had was very basic with a peek of the pool and a great view of the construction. Right now, it's frankly an expensive disappointment.

That's disappointing. We check in next Monday, deluxe view 2 Queen, day bed room. While we have a cabana reservation our first day, since we will get there around 1130, and don't expect our room to be ready, most of our daytime hours will be in the parks. Taking our breaks at restaurants or other areas in the park, so don't expect construction noise to be an issue Tues/Wed/Thurs. Hopefully it won't be too bad on our pool day. I'm more worried about late night noise from live music at Trader Sams or Downtown Disney, as we will be getting to bed 930 to 10ish with the grandkids. The DLH is by far the most I've ever spent on a hotel room in my life, and that includes upscale hotel in NYC, I just couldn't pay the rates at Grand Californian. There weren't any discounts when I booked.
Since this is a first time trip for us, we probably won't notice as much missing as regular visitors.

That's disappointing. We check in next Monday, deluxe view 2 Queen, day bed room. While we have a cabana reservation our first day, since we will get there around 1130, and don't expect our room to be ready, most of our daytime hours will be in the parks. Taking our breaks at restaurants or other areas in the park, so don't expect construction noise to be an issue Tues/Wed/Thurs. Hopefully it won't be too bad on our pool day. I'm more worried about late night noise from live music at Trader Sams or Downtown Disney, as we will be getting to bed 930 to 10ish with the grandkids. The DLH is by far the most I've ever spent on a hotel room in my life, and that includes upscale hotel in NYC, I just couldn't pay the rates at Grand Californian. There weren't any discounts when I booked.
Since this is a first time trip for us, we probably won't notice as much missing as regular visitors.

The construction noise is going to be an issue on your cabana day. The only day you get a break is on Sundays. Be prepared for VERY loud construction noise. Very sorry to have to break that to you.

Hopefully, you'll have a room in Adventure tower on the DTD side. That's what I requested but we didn't get it. If you're in Fantasy facing the pool but close to the DTD side, it ought to be ok. We were down at the very end of that tower (away from DTD). The rooms on the other side of Fantasy (opposite from the pool view side) give you a fireworks view if you're up high but I think those are standard rooms; they wouldn't be impacted by the construction but the view isn't great except for fireworks. I personally don't like the Frontier tower unless I'm in a suite, and right now with the construction right next to it, I'd be very wary unless you get the side closest to Adventure tower. One side has a decent view of the pool area but the other side, across the hall, has a parking lot view so are not deluxe rooms.

I hope this doesn't sound too disappointing! I stayed there in November and we had an awesome time. We had one of the Fantasy tower rooms and we watched the fireworks a couple of nights. It felt very magical but there was no construction, crowds weren't bad, and we had a great Dapper Day room discount that had been carried over from pre-covid. Those things certainly help with the overall good feeling for a place.

My dd and I had the same room type you'll have when we stayed in May. The room was so nice and the view wasn't too bad because we were in Adventure tower, on the end furthest away from the construction. We didn't hear any noise from Trader Sam's or Downtown Disney.

I love the WOC view from PPH. We've stayed there a couple of times in the past and have really enjoyed seeing the later show from our room. I also like waking up to a view of the park. It's been a few years since we were there, so maybe the quality has declined, but we've always been pleased with the PPH.

Same on the cost of the hotel! $$$$ Really hoping we get one of the rooms away from the construction but sounds like the time at the pool it is inevitable. I'm sure your GKids will still have a memorable time. I found a mickey ice cream treat solves any worries for my DS!

Hopefully, you'll have a room in Adventure tower on the DTD side. That's what I requested but we didn't get it. If you're in Fantasy facing the pool but close to the DTD side, it ought to be ok. We were down at the very end of that tower (away from DTD). The rooms on the other side of Fantasy (opposite from the pool view side) give you a fireworks view if you're up high but I think those are standard rooms; they wouldn't be impacted by the construction but the view isn't great except for fireworks. I personally don't like the Frontier tower unless I'm in a suite, and right now with the construction right next to it, I'd be very wary unless you get the side closest to Adventure tower. One side has a decent view of the pool area but the other side, across the hall, has a parking lot view so are not deluxe rooms.

I hope this doesn't sound too disappointing! I stayed there in November and we had an awesome time. We had one of the Fantasy tower rooms and we watched the fireworks a couple of nights. It felt very magical but there was no construction, crowds weren't bad, and we had a great Dapper Day room discount that had been carried over from pre-covid. Those things certainly help with the overall good feeling for a place.
If we booked a Deluxe view 2 queens what are the ideal towers/sides to ask for? Thank you!

I love the WOC view from PPH. We've stayed there a couple of times in the past and have really enjoyed seeing the later show from our room. I also like waking up to a view of the park. It's been a few years since we were there, so maybe the quality has declined, but we've always been pleased with the PPH.

The biggest problem with PPH right now is the lack of ANY dining options onsite. There is literally nothing open serving food. You have to leave the hotel to eat.

We stayed at the DH in August and then PPH in October. DH is worth the extra. PPH needs a lot of work, in particular the rooms. I say DH 100%

If we booked a Deluxe view 2 queens what are the ideal towers/sides to ask for? Thank you!
My first choice would be Adventure tower, DTD side. After that, Adventure, pool side then Fantasy, pool side. You'll see the construction from that side of Adventure but it's separated from the construction by the whole pool area, and Fantasy on the end nearest DTD with a pool view probably would be fine. I would avoid Frontier unless they upgrade you to a suite on the DTD end, facing the pool area/Trader Sam's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter