parade taping crowds: worth moving MK visit?

shh

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide my best move now that the MK holiday parade taping has just been announced as Mon/Tues (8th/9th) versus wknd as in years past. If any of you have been in MK the day of parade taping, could you share opinion re: what you'd do in my situation?

We're in WDW for 3 days - Dec 7-9th, checking out 10th. We bought a 4 day park hopper planning to use 3 days now and save last day (that expires in 6 mo) for a very quick May 2015 getaway.

Our only MK day - Dec 8: we want to be there at night and it's the only night of our trip without MVMCP. We had zero interest in paying for MVMCP, since it didn't offer anything we were interested over what reg MK night features. So I booked HS FP+ Dec 7th and MK FP+ Dec 8th at 60 day window. (Got Toy Story & 7 dwarf ride).

Now WDW announces Frozen/holiday parade taping. I hear this creates much bigger crowds that night after taping ends. Which option would you do - or if neither - what would you do instead?

1. Spend an extra $140 (for 2) to do MK on 7th instead, just to have a better MK evening experience? Does anyone think the MVMCP on Dec 7th will be much less crowded than the 8th? In this scenario, we'd chill out Dec 7th by the pool or at resorts to see decor- no parks. Then MVMCP that night. Save 2nd unused hopper day for May. (I really didn't want a 2nd park day in May...was planning water parks/other stuff for that trip. But could deal w/it. )

2. OR stick w/original plan: MK on 8th; avoid losing my FP+ ressies at both parks reserved months ago and just suck it up re: bigger crowds? (Which also saves us the $140 on MVMCP tics we really didn't want to spend.)

We've been to WDW many times, so we don't feel we have to get on lots of rides - we can enjoy holiday atmosphere and normal crowds don't bother me. But I also don't want to be shut out of absolutely everything the entire night either; not able to walk anywhere/dealing with massive gridlock, long concession lines, etc due to insane crowd levels from leftover taping guests. (That was whole point of avoiding holidays and going Dec 7-9.)

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. :)

We were there in 2013. Other than the crowd up front (Nick Cannon and stormtroopers) and in front of the castle (band performing) it wasn't too much of a log jam. Just get through the front early. We had to go through the stores to get around the crowd. The band performing in front of the castle was a popular country band so it was pretty crowded, but I always find an event that draws a crowd is better for riding rides. Skirt the center and you should be fine. As long as people are watching a parade or other event that means there are less on the rides, lol. We used to NEVER watch the parades because that meant it was easier to get on the rides. One time during MSEP we rode Splash Mountain and Thunder Mt RR numerous times without having to get off.

I am going to stop worrying myself to death over the parade taping and just go with the flow. If we can ride rides fine without insane wait times and get through Main Street and the Hub without getting hurt :rotfl: we should be ok!

Stick with what you have. Get there early. I don't think the crowds will be as big since its a weekday.

Thanks so much for your responses: much appreciated. Would so much rather leave as is and spend the $140 on CPP dinner pkg instead (which was our original plan). Only glitch: I'm not planning on getting to MK early though - was planning on EP in am; then MK late afternoon/night...so not sure if that changes your advice? We only want to be in the MK park late afternoon/night time.

We were there last year because my daughter danced in the parade. People said it was a great time to ride rides because so many people were watching the taping of the parade. I would ride early because it was crazy in the late afternoon after the parade finished taping. We were told that they give locals tickets that day to stand and watch the parade so it looks very crowded for the filming. All of those people were riding after the parade was over.

We were there last year because my daughter danced in the parade. People said it was a great time to ride rides because so many people were watching the taping of the parade. I would ride early because it was crazy in the late afternoon after the parade finished taping. We were told that they give locals tickets that day to stand and watch the parade so it looks very crowded for the filming. All of those people were riding after the parade was over.
Thanks for replying: That's exactly what I'm worried about. We're not getting to MK until late afternoon/evening - we only want to be there at night. So would I be better off buying tics to MVMCP Sunday nite instead? I hate to spend the extra $$$ but I also don't want to deal with holiday-size gridlock/volume on our only MK evening.

If you get a party only ticket it's cheaper (MVMCP). A lot of people come for the taping then some leave, some stay in the park. We were hopping so we didn't stay at MK all day. There are a lot of bands, cheerleaders, and other groups for the parade that will have a big crowd. Can't guarantee they'll all leave the park.

If u plan to use one of your days in May does that mean they have the "No Exporation" option? I'm not familiar with a pass that has a 6 - month expiration. If they are no-exporation... I would plan to use a day in May and another day on a future trip and attend the MVMCP. The attraction wait times will likely be much lower than the regular evening after parade taping. Even if you don't care about the "party." Though the fireworks and parade are a nice perk!

Yeah, I didn't know about the rescheduled taping on the 9th. We have a 12:15 BOG fastpass. This will also be our arrival day and we have our FP+s lined up at Epcot in the late afternoon. Just wondering whether to 1.try and go on some rides before BOG, 2. just go to BOG and head over to Epcot or 3. change the date of the BOG abd avoid MK altogether?

So the parade is definitely 8th & 9th? If I go on the 7th with a group of people will I be able to take a picture in front of the castle. I was worried we wouldn't be able to as the parade would be taping.

Our MVMCP is the 9th. I am really wondering about getting all the parade crowds off of main street while trying to get all the party guests in. Doesn't sound like it's going to be a good scenario, but I'm hoping there's a big gap between the end of the parade taping and the start of the party goers arriving.

If you get a party only ticket it's cheaper (MVMCP). A lot of people come for the taping then some leave, some stay in the park. We were hopping so we didn't stay at MK all day. There are a lot of bands, cheerleaders, and other groups for the parade that will have a big crowd. Can't guarantee they'll all leave the park.

Mambo Junkie - I appreciate your input...I can imagine many will stay on. Although the MVMCP actually costs me more (Florida resident 4 day hoppers come out to a bit less on a per day basis) and I already invested in the hopper, was going to use the $140-150 on CPP package instead. May have to skip that and buy the party tics to avoid all the addtl Mon nite crowds. A bit bummed, as I specifically planned this timeframe months ago (away from wknds, early weekdays and 2nd week of Dec). My DH needs months' notice to take time off, so no way to change up.

Oh well...gotta stay flexible and have a plan B where WDW is concerned! :)

If u plan to use one of your days in May does that mean they have the "No Exporation" option? I'm not familiar with a pass that has a 6 - month expiration. If they are no-exporation... I would plan to use a day in May and another day on a future trip and attend the MVMCP. The attraction wait times will likely be much lower than the regular evening after parade taping. Even if you don't care about the "party." Though the fireworks and parade are a nice perk!

Appreciate your suggestion! There's a Sunday and Tuesday MVMCP party - do you think one might be a better choice over the other in terms of crowds? (Tuesday's is also day of the taping, but since it's a hard ticket, perhaps that doesn't matter?)

Re: your expiration date question: there are occasional ticket promotions for Florida residents specifically. This one has a 6 month window to use any remaining days. We live down in S Fla...about a 3-4 hour drive away.

Our MVMCP is the 9th. I am really wondering about getting all the parade crowds off of main street while trying to get all the party guests in. Doesn't sound like it's going to be a good scenario, but I'm hoping there's a big gap between the end of the parade taping and the start of the party goers arriving.

Definitely sounds like it'll be hectic late afternoon during the changeover, but one positive note: at least with a hard ticket, you can rest assured many people will be gone by the time your event begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter