• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

parade ettiquitte...

Have your entire party show up early, find a spot that no one is at and claim it.

Ditto.

Don't have one person save a spot for 20.

Don't push your kids in front of someone who's been waiting for 2 hours.

Don't move somebody else's stuff.

Don't try to cram 5 people where there is only space for 3.

Question. How many spots can one person save???
People with kids have a hard time keeping there kids busy for 30min waiting. Is it ok for one parent to take the kids on a ride while one sits and saves seats???

Question. How many spots can one person save???
People with kids have a hard time keeping there kids busy for 30min waiting. Is it ok for one parent to take the kids on a ride while one sits and saves seats???

IMHO...NO. My 4 yr old sat and waited the 60 mins like the rest of the family.You can try to save spots, but honestly it isn't like saving spots a movie, it gets hard to defend them after awhile.

Don't have one person save a spot for 20.

Don't push your kids in front of someone who's been waiting for 2 hours.

Don't move somebody else's stuff.

Don't try to cram 5 people where there is only space for 3.

Don't expect to show up 5 minutes before the parade starts and expect the people that have been waiting for an hour or more to move aside so your child can see.

That said, if you ASK POLITELY, you may find people (like us) that are willing to let him/her squeeze in front of us, but please don't expect everyone to do that ...or freak out if they don't.

Parade and etiquette in the same sentence? :) Just find a nice piece of curb somewhere along the parade route or wait until the parade has started then stand behind the crowd (without touching or breathing on anyone).

I agree, with the exception of bathroom breaks or one person going to get a snack or something, the whole family/party should save their own spots. We are a family of 2 adults and kids 4 and 5 yrs old. We generally find a spot early and sit there talking, playing with little toys they brought, etc. Usually dh will go get everyone a snack while we wait and he comes right back. Considering all the waiting involved with most Disney trips, it's really not that bad for everyone to wait together, IMHO.

Uh, oh.... ;)

Was there a full moon recently........ one coming up soon....... maybe? :scared1:

IMHO It depends on the timing if someone can take kids on a ride while others wait and hold the spots, in my experience we would get our spot and hour or so before the start of Specto or MSEP, and my sister and I would go with my Mom or Dad, (later years just sis and I) would go to an QUICK attraction or two, and then go back to our spot, father would then go get a snack or drink and we would all be in place with 20-25 mins to go...

I dont think that is bad etiquette, but if we would leave one person untill right before lights go off that might be.

Just my Opinons :)

Have your entire party show up early, find a spot that no one is at and claim it.

ok , got first 2 steps...
but what do you mean "claim it"..how is that accomplished? flag? chalk?

and after I have claimed it...what if someone intrudes, what then?

Is there a parade book with rules that I forgot to pick up at the front gate?

Please, educate me!

ok , got first 2 steps...
but what do you mean "claim it"..how is that accomplished? flag? chalk?

Best way to "claim" a space is to have a human inhabiting it. ;)
People will sometimes spread out blankets or other things to try and save an empty space, but eventually you are likely to be at the mercy of the encroaching crowds of people.

and after I have claimed it...what if someone intrudes, what then?

Unfortunately, unless you're prepared to duke it out, there's really not a whole lot you can do. There is no rule at Disney that says you are entitled to save space for someone that isn't there.

Is there a parade book with rules that I forgot to pick up at the front gate?

Ah, if only..... maybe then these threads wouldn't turn as ugly as they always do....
:rolleyes1

It really all comes down to common courtesy in my book. Don't do anything that, if someone else did it, you'd be really p-o'd about. pirate:

We are a fmily of 4. We all stake out the spot together. No fewer than two remain if someone needs a potty break. We talk to everyone around us and really enjoy the waits...

It really all comes down to common courtesy in my book. Don't do anything that, if someone else did it, you'd be really p-o'd about. pirate:

you see , if you were there , I bet wed move over for each other my friend ...but unfortunately that's not what I usually run into in the park...

in one parade.. a lady stands right in front of my face/stepping on my toes......I had to tell her maam...I have been standing here for 20 minutes...go find your own spot...

in another I was also early...and next thing I know I am crammed in from all sides people in front, behind, to the side...and that was prefaced by a kid pointing his toy gun at me for the 20 minutes before the parade....

I wish you could just buy a spot..Id be willing to pay for it...

you see , if you were there , I bet wed move over for each other my friend ...but unfortunately that's not what I usually run into in the park..

Too true.

As someone just said in another thread... parade viewing is not for the feint of heart. :sad2:

Don't expect to show up 5 minutes before the parade starts and expect the people that have been waiting for an hour or more to move aside so your child can see.

That said, if you ASK POLITELY, you may find people (like us) that are willing to let him/her squeeze in front of us, but please don't expect everyone to do that ...or freak out if they don't.

THIS! Generally I am like Brady in that if the parents ask politely, I will let a child in front of me. However, that does not mean Mom, Dad and any number of relatives can come up too. If you're close enough to ask, you're close enough to see the child. And if you're too nervous to let your child stand in front of a stranger in your eyeline, then get to the parade route early and get a spot.

But if the parent is rude and/or appears to (by attitude and voice) feel entitled because they have a rugrat (used in love...I call the kids I teach rugrats, kidlets, etc., etc.) with them, then forget it. Politeness goes a long way.

Many times I've had people try to claim my spot while I'm still in it!.

I like the idea of paying for a spot - like a special viewing area with reserved seats or something!

We had one ridiculous experience with parade space conflict before we were true WDW vets so now I have a process to avoid such experiences in the future. Now I don't mean to sound...well ugly lol for lack of a better word but I'm sorry, if we have waited for a spot you may not sit your child in front of us 2 minutes before the parade. Not if we are traveling w/o the kids. Not if your child is really small. Not if you've never been there before. AND not just because you try to make us out to be the bad guys or grumps for saying no. We PAID to be here just like you.

I correct this problem by laying it out like a parade back home. I put down a small blanket or even a Disney poncho if its wet giving a visual layout of "our space". lol Sounds ridiculous but it works. Since doing this I have had only one pushy person still trying to squeeze in and they were almost immediately shot down by our "neighbors". I don't take more space than we need but just enough to give us a little breathing room. It also allows us to have one or two people up getting food/drinks without worrying about losing a seat. Works great and finally fair is fair. jmo :thumbsup2

We had one ridiculous experience with parade space conflict before we were true WDW vets so now I have a process to avoid such experiences in the future. Now I don't mean to sound...well ugly lol for lack of a better word but I'm sorry, if we have waited for a spot you may not sit your child in front of us 2 minutes before the parade. Not if we are traveling w/o the kids. Not if your child is really small. Not if you've never been there before. AND not just because you try to make us out to be the bad guys or grumps for saying no. We PAID to be here just like you.

I correct this problem by laying it out like a parade back home. I put down a small blanket or even a Disney poncho if its wet giving a visual layout of "our space". lol Sounds ridiculous but it works. Since doing this I have had only one pushy person still trying to squeeze in and they were almost immediately shot down by our "neighbors". I don't take more space than we need but just enough to give us a little breathing room. It also allows us to have one or two people up getting food/drinks without worrying about losing a seat. Works great and finally fair is fair. jmo :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I agree with you. 100%. Especially about the kids.

I'll tell you what is NOT okay--when I've been waiting over 45 min for a spot on the curb on Main Street--don't try to step over me and my tripod just to get a picture. I sit right over my tripod, which is lowered so I can sit down and people behind me can see. If you really wanted great pictures, get there early like I do.

And, FWIW, if some small kids come up, I will move back for them to get in front of me and I will then stand up, raising my tripod and standing over it/as close as I can to it. There's no need to climb over my back. I'm not going to move for you.

Do like I do and get there early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter