Papermaking anyone?

vanyel

Mouseketeer<br><font color=db28a5>I like to escape
Just wondered if any of you made your own paper? I've seen such beautiful handmade paper at the craft stores and it seems like a fun project. If you make your own paper, any hints?

Still working on the jewelry making - made a beautiful turquoise and black beaded necklace, struggled with the crimping bead, thought I had it, then it broke. Luckily I caught most of the beads in/on my shirt (I was wearing it), and I haven't gotten back to putting it back together. I was a bit upset!

I'm enjoying looking at all the scrapbooks and pages.

What size do you want to make? Check your local community ed classes to see if they offer papermaking. Or papermaking may be done in a bookmaking class. I suggest taking a class if you are serious about making large papers. There are several 'how-tos' on the web.

-You can make small fun papers using 2 coffee cans & window screen. (You can use smaller cans but the coffee cans make a good size.)
-For paper pulp- use any torn up scrap paper (thin), paper towels, toliet paper and color lint from your dryer. You need a blender or mixer. (This can ruin your food blender blades so use an old one.)
-Cut both ends off ONE of the coffee cans. Cut screen to be larger than the opening of the coffee can.
-To make pulp- put paper scraps, lint into blender. (try very soft papers for the first time) Add water and blend. (pulse blending will work) You will have to guess/experiment with the water/paper ratio but use more water than paper. about 1 cup papers and 2- 4 c. water
-Put the screen on top of the can that has a bottom. Put the open coffee can on top of the screen.
-Take the water/pulp mixture and pour into the open coffee can. The screen will catch the pulp and the water will pass through to the lower can.
-Take off the top can. Congratulations! You now have a round wet piece of paper! Papermakers place their papers on felt to dry the paper. You can use wax paper or a surface that the paper won't stick to. Repeat the process till you use up the pulp. Flip screen quickly upside down to remove paper from the screen. If you mess up, just put the pulp in the blender again and repeat the process.
-Embellishments- While paper is wet and still on the screen you may add small bits of colored or metallic thread, bits of leaves, flowers etc.

It can be fun to try different embedded materials to see what works best. Food coloring or paints can be added for color.

It's really fun to try to make a design with two different color paper pulps. Pour the first pulp. Push and move the pulp on the screen to expose the screen to make desired design. (may need to pat flat) Pour second color and the screen will catch the design.

Enjoy!!

:stir:

vanyel said:
Just wondered if any of you made your own paper? I've seen such beautiful handmade paper at the craft stores and it seems like a fun project. If you make your own paper, any hints?

I bought the kit at Mike's a couple of years back. I was toying with the idea of teaching it, but they were doing so many free demos at the time, I didn't think anyone would want to pay for a class. You might want to try calling them to see if there are any demos coming up that you can watch. It really wasn't hard, just time consuming, and a little messy. I liked the final result, and did a couple press molds with my son (who loved the messiness of it all)

My concern was the acid free part...I didn't think it would combine with my scrapbooking well to do a whole sheet, but to make some press mold embellishments was really fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter