Pandora- World of Avatar 2017 Really?

Was this a front line CM? Often they don't know anything more than we do. Everything I've heard seems to point to mid 2017 which is still on schedule for the most part.

So a quick question on that, if mid 2017 turns out to be the opening date, will there be an announcement soon and will those opening dates have the option for fast passes 60 days out?

So a quick question on that, if mid 2017 turns out to be the opening date, will there be an announcement soon and will those opening dates have the option for fast passes 60 days out?
Well some are expecting an announcement at the D23 event later this month. I wouldn't expect FPs yet of course. Today is the booking window for January 1st at 60 days out.

Well some are expecting an announcement at the D23 event later this month. I wouldn't expect FPs yet of course. Today is the booking window for January 1st at 60 days out.
And people are yelling at me for blaring Christmas music this early... And here you are reminding me of 2017 :mad::p

From some of the permits I have seen, this does not look like a possibility because the permits go into 2018. Why would they need a permit for that long if it was to be completed in mid 2017?

You probably won't see a firm opening date until much closer to opening and they may not even announce it until we are within the 60 day window.

Frozen Ever After and Royal Sommerhus opening was announced only 30 days ahead.

You probably won't see a firm opening date until much closer to opening and they may not even announce it until we are within the 60 day window.

Frozen Ever After and Royal Sommerhus opening was announced only 30 days ahead.
yep i agree
i was hoping for an opening date during the D23 event on the 20th but i would be completely socked
best case scenario would be a season
like Spring 2017

From some of the permits I have seen, this does not look like a possibility because the permits go into 2018. Why would they need a permit for that long if it was to be completed in mid 2017?

the date really doesnt matter
thats when it has to be paid

All "permits", Notice of Commencement (construction) are for one year unless a date is inserted that states otherwise.

Yes, all work must be paid for by that date BUT the date does matter as it is also the time allowed for completion of construction per Florida Law. Can the work be completed sooner?, of course, but I don't think we've seen that happen too often. There are plenty of Avatar permits going to December 2018.

The 2016 Florida Statutes
(c) If the contract between the owner and a contractor named in the notice of commencement expresses a period of time for completion for the construction of the improvement greater than 1 year, the notice of commencement must state that it is effective for a period of 1 year plus any additional period of time. Any payments made by the owner after the expiration of the notice of commencement are considered improper payments.

All "permits", Notice of Commencement (construction) are for one year unless a date is inserted that states otherwise.

Yes, all work must be paid for by that date BUT the date does matter as it is also the time allowed for completion of construction per Florida Law. Can the work be completed sooner?, of course, but I don't think we've seen that happen too often. There are plenty of Avatar permits going to December 2018.

(c) If the contract between the owner and a contractor named in the notice of commencement expresses a period of time for completion for the construction of the improvement greater than 1 year, the notice of commencement must state that it is effective for a period of 1 year plus any additional period of time. Any payments made by the owner after the expiration of the notice of commencement are considered improper payments.
Yes all true and @twebber55 and @DanBoris are very aware of that. In fact Dan follows all Disney permits in his free time. I see no reason to believe that Avatar will open in 2018 and see every reason to believe it will open in 2017 as planned.

Considering my FP day is tomorrow of course I'm going to remind you of 2017 ;)
Nooooo!!!!!! I need to find friends and hog all the fast passes!!!! Settle down and listen to the Christmas music :D
We don't know at the moment. Comparing this land to Carsland construction it definitely appears we are under a year until opening.
Oh my goodness that brings me back... we do seem further ahead with avatar at this point than cars did. I remember where I was when DIS posted the first ever POV of radiator springs racers, and watching it without wifi on my way to the movie theater. Wow can't believe it was that long ago. Haven't camped out for something that big since. I remember wanting to with Shanghai but forget why exactly I didn't

Last edited:

Yes, the expiration on the notice of commencement is based on when the work will be completed by and the contractor paid. In a project this size I would assume that payment details have been worked out with the general contractor so there really is no concern with the expiration date being well beyond the completion date since the contractor already has a commitment for when they will be paid. Disney Springs had the same situation, all the major permits has a 12/2017 date on them even though all the work was planned to be wrapped up long before that. I firmly believe Avatar will be complete long before 12/2018.

Do you guys think they'll try to sync the opening day with Avatar 2 release? Maybe a 2017 "soft" opening and a 2018 completion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter