• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pandemic?

Dawn, if at any point your DH says "they ought to be closing schools", would you let us know? I'm hoping I can hold DH off on pulling the kids. I have a Junior in HS who has already missed 3 weeks due to mono. All of our standardized tests - the one DD17 is required to pass in order to graduate next year - are this coming week. I am completely unprepared to home school, and do NOT want to go that route unless I absolutely have to. There are only 5 weeks of school left... here's keeping my fingers crossed.

The CDC is on top of it, and the local public health authorities will be too. He is confident that if action needs to be taken, it will be done. If he tells me anything that is pertinent, I will be sure to let you know.

So many times I see the news here first on the DIS, and it's true of this, too.

I just turned on CNN and they were interviewing a doctor from the CDC. I didn't catch much of it, but the headline at the bottom of the screen said something like "CDC unable to control virus" or something similar to that.

I hope that those in charge can do their best to keep this virus as contained as possible. I guess the best thing for the rest of us is to keep as informed as possible.

Go to CDC.gov. They have very up to date info.

Really appreciate your replies, Dawn. :hug:

One thing that worries me a great deal...do you think it's possible that "leisure" travel from the US into Mexico and vice versa will be stopped at this time? DH works with a couple of engineers that are from Mexico and they're frequently taking trips "back home" and returning to work. At this particular time that makes me very uneasy.

Really appreciate your replies, Dawn. :hug:

One thing that worries me a great deal...do you think it's possible that "leisure" travel from the US into Mexico and vice versa will be stopped at this time? DH works with a couple of engineers that are from Mexico and they're frequently taking trips "back home" and returning to work. At this particular time that makes me very uneasy.

DH thinks more will be known in the next few days. There are no travel restrictions at this time. The CDC will evaluated the situation on a day to day basis.

Is this the same flu that was going around a couple months ago? DS and DD both tested positive for it and were really sick for about 10 days! Could that make us lucky enough not to get it again? Wishful thinking I am sure!

I am somewhat concerned (esp. b/c we live in Texas). I have always worried about the possibility of a pandemic knowing that it's not if but when it will happen. I did read that of the 8 confirmed cases in the U.S., all have recovered which makes me feel a little better. I will definately be watching the news for more info. over the next few days though.

While I agree that this particular influenza strain is worrisome, I think it's prudent to just follow the CDC website and try to stay away from the news sources on this. As we all well know, the media seems to enjoy scaring people and sensationalizing this type of stuff to keep up their ratings. I do think this is worth watching but I'm hoping not worth following the lead of the media and causing panic.

Is this the same flu that was going around a couple months ago? DS and DD both tested positive for it and were really sick for about 10 days! Could that make us lucky enough not to get it again? Wishful thinking I am sure!

I know what you are talking about. We had a pretty bad flu season down here this year. I work in a preschool and it hit us hard. I think there was a strand that was going around that wasn't covered by the current flu vaccine. My family was fortunate as we never got it. Interestingly, we've had several kids out this week with something (high fever, vomiting, lonnnggg recovery). I made the comment earlier this week that it seemed like we were back in flu season. Makes me wonder a little with what is going on now although I'm sure it's probably not related.

I would suggest (based on DH's opinion) that you should start your maternity leave now. Pregnant women are much more at risk more than any other group.

OK, this has me freaking out quite a bit! I have 2 kids in school as well. We have our high stakes testing next week, and I teach a class that is tested. So I pretty much have to work at least through the end of the month (my test is Thursday). I go back to the dr. Tuesday for my weekly appt-I may ask him about ordering my maternity leave to start!

While I agree that this particular influenza strain is worrisome, I think it's prudent to just follow the CDC website and try to stay away from the news sources on this. As we all well know, the media seems to enjoy scaring people and sensationalizing this type of stuff to keep up their ratings. I do think this is worth watching but I'm hoping not worth following the lead of the media and causing panic.

I understand what you're saying, but my "panic" is coming from my cousin who lives just outside of Mexico City. The Mexico City and state of Mexico are taking extreme measures at this time and they seem to think they have real reason to panic. They have already shut down public schools, public buildings, etc. So while I understand getting your info from the CDC, right now the CDC is really just quoting the "confirmed" cases which is almost nil. I'm afraid they'd be behind the 8 ball in getting the word out.

According to the news tonight, no it is not. Tamiflu does work, but they were warning people about stocking up and the risk of overuse causing a resistant strand.

I heard about this on the radio coming home from work. My husband is going mid May to Mexico City (maybe a few other cities too, I can't remember) and SA. He speaks to people that live in Mexico City everyday, so I'll ask him what he is hearing.

This is from the link on the OP, so maybe people who got the flu shot will have a little protection:

Epidemiologists are particularly concerned because the only people killed so far were normally less-vulnerable young people and adults. It's possible that more vulnerable populations — infants and the aged — had been vaccinated against other strains, and that those vaccines may be providing some protection.

The above advice is the best...panic does not need to start over this. IF and when he CDC has any concrete news that this is something major then maybe I'll start to worry. Until then we'll keep doing what we always do here..wash our hands with lots of soap and hot water and try to stay as healthy as we can. So far it's worked for my family for a long time. Other than little colds here and there, no flu or viruses here in over 16 years.

here is the latest from the CDC posted today: http://cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm.

Dawn, does your husband know of any cases in any other Latin or South American cities? DD20 is still in Ecuador for 6 more weeks - just want to keep myself up to date as she is traveling extensively around the country now and I'd like to make sure she has the best information possible.

Does anyone know how long the incubation period is? I was in Texas recently, in fact San Antonio first, then Houston for brain surgery. I'm on corticosteroids which lowers your immune system. Just wondering what my risk level might be? I did get my flu shot for this year. My healthy parents were with me was well. I have a lot of friends that travel to MD Anderson for treatment. Our immune systems tend to be shot by the time we travel for treatment. I hope this doesn't mean we all have to stop going down there...

Does anyone know how long the incubation period is? I was in Texas recently, in fact San Antonio first, then Houston for brain surgery. I'm on corticosteroids which lowers your immune system. Just wondering what my risk level might be? I did get my flu shot for this year. My healthy parents were with me was well. I have a lot of friends that travel to MD Anderson for treatment. Our immune systems tend to be shot by the time we travel for treatment. I hope this doesn't mean we all have to stop going down there...

From what I read, the incubation is 7-14 days. You're risk is VERY small, so don't worry too much.

My husband said that the people he has been speaking to say it is very serious. They lost a show tonight (cancelled). I know that he and the people he will be working with are going to be watching this carefully.

That being said, I am not in panic mode, but I will be keeping an eye on the situation.

There have been several cases of a rare strain of meningitis reported in S. FL. Some of those affected have died. About 3 weeks ago, I received a letter and call from DS's school about a student that came down with meningitis. Turns out that the boy affected is in 3 of DS's classes.:headache: I don't know if the boy had the rare strain. :headache: Now this Swine flu. :headache:

Health Officials 'Watching, Waiting' In Meningitis Scare
POSTED: Friday, April 24, 2009
UPDATED: 2:15 pm EDT April 24, 2009

MIAMI -- A doctor at the Miami-Dade County Health Department said that after four reported deaths from a rare strain of meningitis, experts are still "watching and waiting."
A total of 12 cases of the rare W135 strain of meningitis have been reported in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties in the last five months. Four of the victims died.
Video
Dr. Vince Conte said the last infection reported was that of Jade Thomas, a 26-year-old teacher from Britain on vacation in South Florida who died as a result of the disease.
Thomas' infection and subsequent death happened nearly two weeks ago. The four other patients who died included an 85-year-old woman, a 21-year-old woman and a woman who worked at a day care. Health officials have not released their identities.
Conte said that he is hopeful that the crisis is over, and he said he believes South Florida is "out of the woods."
Conte said health officials have not been able to pinpoint a common element between those infected with the disease.
“To see this many cases of W135 in such a short period of time is a rare occurrence," he said. "We’ve done extensive investigations of all the people who’ve had the meningitis. Unfortunately, we’ve found nothing in common."
Officials said the rare meningitis strain was last seen in Saudi Arabia in 2000. The only South Florida victim who had traveled internationally recently was Thomas, whose infection was the most recent.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is not involved in the investigation. Health officials said the CDC would only become involved if the infections reached epidemic proportions, which Conte said would mean that at least 200 to 250 people were infected.
All of the eight victims who were infected and survived have returned home. Conte said the victims, their families and people who were in close contact with them have received antibiotic courses as a precaution.
Health officials also gave antibiotics to people at the day care where one of the victims worked.
Conte said meningitis vaccinations are available and that they are free for anyone under 18 years old. The vaccinations cost about $120 for adults, he said.
Conte also said that although the W135 strain of meningitis is rare, 10 to 20 percent of people carry the bacteria. He said an infection with symptoms can occur when one of the people carrying the bacteria comes into contact with someone who is susceptible to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter