Panama Canal or TA and kids - experiences?

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
We have the EBPC booked for 2015 and my kids will be 7, 4 and 2. Just wondering if you have brought your young kids on a long cruise like that, how it was? I've heard there are record low kids, and that they get more personalized attention this way. What did you think?

My youngest will more than likely be in the nursery (he will be close to 3, but not counting on the clubs) so experiences with the nursery with older kids are totally welcome too!

We have the EBPC booked for 2015 and my kids will be 7, 4 and 2. Just wondering if you have brought your young kids on a long cruise like that, how it was? I've heard there are record low kids, and that they get more personalized attention this way. What did you think?

My youngest will more than likely be in the nursery (he will be close to 3, but not counting on the clubs) so experiences with the nursery with older kids are totally welcome too!

Did the WBTA when my kids were seven and four. Then I did the EBPC last September when my kids were six and nine. Both were wonderful cruises! Definitely less kids on the ship which is nice for them. Kids clubs aren't very crowded nor are the pools. We definitely did not get bored. My younger one wasn't really keen on some of the excursions, especially those more cultural or historical. He really just wanted to do swimming and beach things. Even the day we went through the locks on the PC cruise he just wanted to play in the pool.

We're doing the WBTA again this September. I think I'll be leaving my younger son on the ship for some of the more cultural excursions, like in Malaga.

We just did the WBPC with our two five year old boys. We had a great time. Kids loved it. DS said "Let's take the Disney Wonder back home too." Had to drag them out of the club/lab kicking and screaming. The counselors knew them by name and seemed to know a bit of their personalities also. Lots of fun activities including a sleep over (age 5 and up). Pools lots of fun, not too crowded (similar to our Alaska trip), my kids were often the only ones using the Mickey slide. Took them to several movies, games shows, etc that we wouldn't have had time for on our previous trip.

We LOVE the long cruises during school with less kids!

We did EBTA last year, WBPC just this month, and have WBTA in Sept., as well as some other cruises next year during school break and then Hawaii to Vancouver (which I am mentioning because it is during school with less kids). My preference is to cruise this way, for precisely the reason you mentioned -- I feel like the boys get so much more attention and the ship is less crowded. It is the same reason that I prefer the classics -- just less people and more individualized attention. On EBTA I think the number was 180; on the WBTA I think just short of 300 kids.

The boys just turned 8, so they have only had experience in the Lab since we started cruising in 2012. There is a lot of room, they can participate in every activity if they want without it being crowded, the CMs know their names, etc. But even more importantly, in other areas of the ship, you will get a much more personalized experience when there are fewer people and your kids will get more attention when there are fewer kids.

For example, at Bingo, the CMs played with my sons all the time, brought them up to do the B11 dance, and Chris referenced them during Bingo play during every session. They ate it up. Pools were obviously less crowded. Even the difference in number of kids between EBTA and WBPC at the pools was evident, IMO. During trivia (which we managed to win a few times), they loved when David (Club Host) came over and talked to them -- which happened a lot for some kids at the Diversions trivia (not the kids' trivia). And don't even get me started in Superstar Family Karaoka or SYTYKYF! My sons LOVE the game and discovered karaoke on WBPC. They were able to sing every single time we went (some kids sang more than once every session), and they got picked for SYTYKYF and the Generation Game. Bottom line is, although your kids are younger than mine, whatever they choose, they will get more attention, the CMs will get to know them better, and there will be a lot more space.

We just got off the westbound panama as well. We have a 5, 4 and 2 1/2 year old and it was our first cruise. They all received quality, personalized attention in the clubs/nursery and even with the characters. And, the pool was not that crowded. We are contemplating doing the Alaska cruise next summer and curious if it will be crowded that the experience will be different. Our little one enjoyed her nursery "club" for most of the trip, but after taking her to some open house time, she wanted to be with her sisters in the oceaneers club. It didn't impact our trip at all, but figured I'd mention it. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter