Palo tipping

TinkGirl

DIS Veteran
We have Palo booked for dinner for next week's Dream cruise. I know there is an upcharge, but do we also tip our server that night?

We have Palo booked for dinner for next week's Dream cruise. I know there is an upcharge, but do we also tip our server that night?
If you wish, yes. Some here feel there is no tip included in the upcharge, while others think there is. But tipping for Palo is "at your discretion", according to the DCL website.

We're booked for dinner @ Palo in April & will tip our server in cash at the end of our meal. We typically leave 20%+ for good service & will likely do likewise at Palo. (Note: This is what WE do; not trying to set a precedent)

Bon Voyage! :sail:

Last edited:
So many, many different answers to this one. Plenty of threads, also. Overwhelming consensus over the years seems to be yes, tip your Palo server. Seems to me like the general amounts people talk about here range in the $5-$15 per person tip. Some more, some less, but that seems to me what people seem to say.

I think we tip about $40 ($20/person for the two of us). As others have mentioned, it's not required and totally at your discretion. We consider that $40 is about what we would tip for similar service and food/wine at an equivalent restaurant on shore. We just add it to the chit at the end.

I tip any where from $15 to $25 per person based on what the emal would cost on shore. Also based on ther service. I believe those servers entire pay comes from these tips. They do get tips from wine that is added automatically. But I rarely drink my wife does like wine with her dinner MY DS(20) can't drink on board.

Palo tipping was made clearer a few years back that it's at your discretion, ie one is expected in that tipable. position but the amount is up to you.

It's very clear on the DCL website no debate.

I have tended to tip about $20 per person.

I do think Disney could be clearer on this matter.
On the Palo home page, tipping is not mentioned at all, just the upcharge:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/palo/#reservations
You have to go the onboard services page for info on tipping:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

For all others positions, the policy is clear. And, for port adventures it states specifically that gratuity is not included.
If none of the upcharge goes to the Palo (or Remy) servers then Disney should state that.

We did not get wine with our dinner. For those that have, is the automatic gratuity added to that cost?

My opinion is any service you are paying extra for you should tip. If you are going to pay for mixology or a service like that they should receive a tip as well.

We did not get wine with our dinner. For those that have, is the automatic gratuity added to that cost?
All beverage purchases have an automatic 15% gratuity added. That money is pooled to be divided between all beverage servers and bartenders onboard.

Like others have said gratuities at Palo are at the guest discretion. At the end of the day you will WANT to tip ... everything is that good: Atmosphere, food, server, etc.

There have been MANY (A LOT) of threads on this topic. I would say that most people will tip between $5.00 and $20.00 per guest. There are those that do not / will not tip and there are others that have tipped over $100.

Typically we will add $10 per guest for brunch and $15 per guest for dinner in Palo.

we have only been to dinner at palo twice with our last cruise being the most recent (October). there were six of us and when the waiter handed me the bill, which I had arranged to receive at the beginning of dinner, he made note that the tip was not included. he was discreet in saying this, he didn't say it loudly and was polite, but he wanted to be sure it was known. it didn't bother me however it could put some people off.
the other time we ate at palo was probably 7 years ago, on the magic. while we left a tip there was no mention by the waiter. that also was at a time when the palo print stated that the tip was included in the up charge so not sure if that made a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter