• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Palo on Pirate night, have you experienced this?

OP, I understand what you are saying. And if it were any other cruiseline I would agree with you. I really think you should reconsider your feelings on it considering it is Disney or maybe just request when you enter adult areas to be left alone since the majority seem to feel otherwise. I'm not trying to attack you or anything on a message board and I DO see where you are coming from. BUT, it is Disney and I think the Disney atmosphere belongs everywhere, including romantic adult areas. I would be thrilled if that had happened to me. And I would love if Daisy came into the spa while I had a pedicure done. That would just make my day.

I think it would be very unfortunate if they put a stop to it because one person complained. :worried:

I think others are taking this way more seriously that I am or did at the time.
I did NOT make a formal complaint. Our waiter was walking up to our table as it happened and we talked to him about it. He actually seemed uncomfortable with it before I said anything. It was not a situation where I could say I did not want character interaction. It was not like Stitch walked up to our table in Palo, he was banging on the window from the outside. If he were in the restaurant we would have told the handler "No, thank you." I did find it obnoxious and out of place (Yes even thought it is Disney) but it did NOT ruin my cruise or even dinner.

And I stand by my statement about the spa. I guess the salon would be a different story but if I am getting a massage I just don't want to here a lot of commotion because a character is making a fuss in the lobby. If I am relaxing in the rainforest I think it would be totally uncalled for if a character walked in and started their antics. I am literally paying for the privilege to relax when I go to the spa and anyone who does should be granted that.

He was outside and we were inside.

I told the waiter and looking back I do wish I had said something on our comment card at least. It's not like it ruined our dinner or anything and I really had just about forgotten it. It was annoying and surprising that is all. I mean, why pay the $20 up charge to Palo to get away from the noise and whatnot for the MDR if that kind of thing is going on? If I wanted character interaction I would go try to join in the pirate party activities. I am also surprised by some of the other stories about characters in the adult areas. I would be very upset if a character walked in to the spa and caused a disturbance when I was having a treatment or using the rainforest room. Everyone is going to say "Well it is Disney after all!" But you would see that at the spa at the Grand Floridian? I guess it is all about perspective. DCL advertises all the nice, quite adult only areas and that is what I want when I visit those areas of the ship.

Either at the DCL website, or on the DVD we got from them, they specifically mentioned possibly running into the characters at unexpected places. I don't recall Palo, but I am almost certain there was a picture or video of a character at the Spa. It took me by surprise that the characters would go on adults only area. Then it made me smile. In any case, it seems from that that it is not completely unexpected.

I am sorry it bothered you.

Bonniec said:
OP, I understand what you are saying. And if it were any other cruiseline I would agree with you. I really think you should reconsider your feelings on it considering it is Disney or maybe just request when you enter adult areas to be left alone since the majority seem to feel otherwise.

No offense (truly), but why should the OP rethink their opinion on this? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it. Enough said. It's not a moral issue, it's an issue of expectations. I would have been weirded out by it, as well (although I've only been on the Fantasy and Dream, so that really would be weird, I think!). I would find it odd to have anyone banging on the window of a nice restaurant where my husband and I were dining. But that's just me (and possibly the OP) and that, I believe, was the point of the post. To paraphrase: "I noticed this and thought it was strange. Did anyone else? Should I always expect this?"

My family doesn't sail on Disney for the characters--they could not care less, really--but others do. So who's right? Who cares?

Ginger Renae, calling someone uptight for not enjoying a startling, unexpected behavior? I would be offended by that, although I assume you didn't mean to be rude. It's possible that the OP is asking so they know not to dine in Palo again if it's a common experience and not a good fit for them.

A cannonball is jumping into the air and falling in the pool all curled up in a ball, causing the largest splash possible.

:cutie:

Thanks for the explanation.

I am also surprised by some of the other stories about characters in the adult areas. I would be very upset if a character walked in to the spa and caused a disturbance when I was having a treatment or using the rainforest room. Everyone is going to say "Well it is Disney after all!" But you would see that at the spa

Pluto did not cause a disturbance at all. He just quietly joined in with the class for a while. I had not actually picked up on what was happening at first. DH had to point it out to me. In the Rainforest Room, he grabbed a towel and briefly sat down on one of the loungers and then headed over to the mild sauna for a few minutes.

Corinna

No offense (truly), but why should the OP rethink their opinion on this? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it. Enough said. It's not a moral issue, it's an issue of expectations. I would have been weirded out by it, as well (although I've only been on the Fantasy and Dream, so that really would be weird, I think!). I would find it odd to have anyone banging on the window of a nice restaurant where my husband and I were dining. But that's just me (and possibly the OP) and that, I believe, was the point of the post. To paraphrase: "I noticed this and thought it was strange. Did anyone else? Should I always expect this?"

My family doesn't sail on Disney for the characters--they could not care less, really--but others do. So who's right? Who cares?

Ginger Renae, calling someone uptight for not enjoying a startling, unexpected behavior? I would be offended by that, although I assume you didn't mean to be rude. It's possible that the OP is asking so they know not to dine in Palo again if it's a common experience and not a good fit for them.

THANK YOU! Yes, you summed up my feeling very well. :goodvibes
I have Palo booked again for pirate night in November. Something I read made me remember this incident and part of me posting was because I was wondering if I should ask for a seat that is not near the window. I have no problem with the characters in the MDR, walking around the ship, up on deck. Even walking through the adult areas is cool. I would have had no issue with any character walking by and waving at anyone who noticed.

I could have written this. My children don't care about the characters, nor do I or my husband. We are sailing DCL because we heard the kids clubs were great and that the family would have a great time. I would not have appreciated be startled during a quiet meal.

Well said.:thumbsup2

For my family, we enjoy the Disney experience on board the ships to include character greetings. However, like the OP, we at times like to get away from it all and just enjoy a little "quiet" time with our spouse. Going to Palo is one of those times for us.

Also (with no offense please) I don't think anyone should be characterized as being uptight (or anything else) because they weren't expecting to get interrupted by a impromptu character experience during a quiet time with their spouse. We all enjoy our DCL experience different ways.

To the OP, we have been to Palo on all 4 ships and never seen this before.

Wow! That sounds so cool, I would love for that to happen to me.
If you don't want Disney characters to bother you on a Disney Cruise, then maybe you should think about a different cruise... :):):)
I'm really tired of the attacks and people telling me to go on a different cruise line.

Thank you to everyone who understood what I was trying to share and asking. Both those who agree with me and those who politely saw things from the other side and shared. We are huge Disney fans and this really was a small thing. But I am not of the "Disney can do no wrong" camp.

As my mother would say... "there is a time and a place...." Sounds like this may not have been the time nor the place to be startled by a Disney Character, even on DCL. While I wouldn't have thought anything of it, I can certainly see where others would consider this as inappropriate.

I'm really tired of the attacks and people telling me to go on a different cruise line.

Thank you to everyone who understood what I was trying to share and asking. Both those who agree with me and those who politely saw things from the other side and shared. We are huge Disney fans and this really was a small thing. But I am not of the "Disney can do no wrong" camp.

:hug:

:cutie:

When we were in Palo on pirate night and Chip and Dale walked past, I don't think they banged on the window, just waved if I remember rightly.

I wouldn't have minded but everyones different, if we were all the same the world would be pretty boring, and everyone would be with us at WDW and the queues would be huge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter