• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

palo for dinner what do they serve???

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
and how is the quality of food??? just want to know if its worth leaving our regular dinner guests for palo???

and how is the quality of food??? just want to know if its worth leaving our regular dinner guests for palo???

The food quality is very good, however DH and I agreed the from now on we'll skip Palo dinner and only go for brunch and/or tea. Dinner is nice, but we prefer the regular dining rooms with our kids and our regular serving team.

That, of course, is just our opinion. Lots of cruisers wouldn't even dream of skipping a night at Palo.

I agree with you CraftyMouse. The service was fantastic and loved the suggestions the server made but I don't get the hype of Palo. I think we will Palo again but not the first night.

I agree with you CraftyMouse. The service was fantastic and loved the suggestions the server made but I don't get the hype of Palo. I think we will Palo again but not the first night.

Actually, when we told our kids (DS12 & DD15) that we wouldn't be doing Palo next time they were sad. On the night we go to Palo they go to the dining room for their own special dinner, just the two of them and they want to do that next time as well. I think they like their independence and having the serving team all to themselves! ;) We've never done Topsiders for dinner so I think DH and I will do that next time, instead of Palo.

The hype for palo can be different for different people. We RARELY get a babysitter (too cost-prohibitive for 7 children), so we plan to double dip the first night so we don't miss out on any particular dish/show at that restaurant (if AP is our restaurant the first night), and then put the children in the clubs for a late full dinner at Palo. We are cruising for a third time with my parents, so they get to visit with the grandchildren, the grandchildren get to visit the clubs, and we get a dinner ALONE!! Can't wait!

Palo is comparable to a very nice restaurant in our town, but the atmosphere at Palo doesn't compare to the relatively noisy more crowded environment that is typical in my town. Palo is worth the trip for the quiet intimate atmosphere, the opportunity to be alone with DH, and the chance to eat great food. For other people who have the oppourtunity to experience fine dining in a quiet atmosphere more often than twice a year, dinner at Palo might not seem "necessary", but knowing the way my life is, DH and I couldn't imagine having the opportunity to go to Palo's and choose not to go.

I wouldn't miss any restaurants, I'd suggest you make Palo reservations for a night opposite your regular dinner seating, like we're doing. We plan to order an appetizer at dinner, help the kids eat, then after getting them settled with Grandma/clubs, we'll go to Palo at 8:30.

Which restaurant would you miss for Palo on the four night cruise?
On my first cruise, we chose NOT to miss any night, but loved brunch at Palo. If we went on a 4 night again, I would choose to miss Pirate night, 3rd night. I would have dinner at Palo as early as possible, then go to the fireworks. To me, once you've seen the pirate night show, its not worth a second viewing. And the Pirate night menu is okay, nothing special.

The chocolate souffle was awesome!!! I dined with my adult daughter so maybe that is why Palo wasn't so special for me. I can see it would be romantic for a couple dining without the children.

On my first cruise, we chose NOT to miss any night, but loved brunch at Palo. If we went on a 4 night again, I would choose to miss Pirate night, 3rd night. I would have dinner at Palo as early as possible, then go to the fireworks. To me, once you've seen the pirate night show, its not worth a second viewing. And the Pirate night menu is okay, nothing special.

One suggestion is to double dip - if you do it on the sea day there is usually a matinee of the stage show so you don't need to miss that. By double dipping what is meant is if you have main seating, make you Palo reservation for late. Go to your main seating, have a soup and appetizer, maybe split a dessert or taste an entree if something looks good. Then go to Palo and have a second dinner.

I thought Palo was far better than the meals in the regular dining rooms. Then again, I found the meals in the main dining rooms to be not very good food wise. If you don't go, you won't know what you missed, but having missed it on our four day and done it on our seven day, I'd definitely make time to do it on any future cruises.

My least favorite menu is the Parrot Cay standard menu. I wouldn't miss Animators - its the only opportunity you'll have to see the "show" (which isn't fantastic, but you only have one shot to check it out) and the dining room. You can experience both PC and Triton's over lunch or breakfast as dining rooms - where AP really only serves dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter