• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Palo dress code

bubbasmom99

DIS Veteran
Will my hubby be able to get away with:
- polo shirt & khakis
- short sleeve button down shirt & khakis
- long sleeve button down shirt & khakis
- long sleeve button down shirt, tie, & khakis
- or does he have to bring a suit?

We are really trying to cut down on the amount of packing we do - we have been spoiled by DVC because we are able to do laundry and don't pack alot - so having to pack for so many variables on the cruise is going to make our luggage heavy again!

I noticed a lot of people dressed pretty casually for brunch but most men wore jackets for dinner.

I'd say everything you mentioned would be acceptable for brunch but add a jacket to the last choice for dinner.

- long sleeve button down shirt, tie, & khakis

This is what DH wore to dinner at Palo on the Wonder last year, and he didn't seem out of place. I think he would be okay in that, though opinions obviously may vary.

The oddest outfit I saw in Palo was an older gentleman who had on a polo shirt, sport jacket, dark slacks, dark socks, and white athletic socks. I saw those socks and wondered if he had packing oversight. But he had made an effort, and I'm sure no one but me happened to notice...

Yes to everything. except the suit.

I did the 4 day cruise and wore khakis and a shirt.
Not a problem for me. Don't let the clothes police
get to you. Packing less is better :)

Originally posted by Bosjoe
Yes to everything. except the suit.

I did the 4 day cruise and wore khakis and a shirt.
Not a problem for me. Don't let the clothes police
get to you. Packing less is better :)
I don't know why you would say "except the suit." Although a suit is not required, a suit is certainly appropriate for those who wish to wear one.

DCL recommends a jacket for men. DCL asks that no shorts or jeans be worn (and they enforce that, at least on the Magic). In other words, it's a dressy place -- dressier than the regular dining rooms on casual nights -- but not formal (except on formal night on the Magic). Some guest at Palo will be very dressed up, others less so. Dress in the spirit of "dressy," and you'll be fine. ("Polo shirt & khakis" would seem underdressed for dinner at Palo.)

A blazer or other sport coat is a useful garment for a man to bring. It turns casual attire into something dressier, without having to bring a suit and dress shoes.

Here's the official word from the DCL web site:
our adults-only alternative dinner restaurant, Palo, it is suggested that men wear jackets or a button-down shirt and tie and ladies wear dresses or pantsuits.
I don't think a suit is required, but would have him go with a tie (which doesn't take a lot of room to pack ;)) and make sure that the khakis are the nicer, pressed style.

As first time cruisers and comming from the UK I too did not want to take too much on board. Although I was surprised at actually how much room there was on board to store things. I wore short sleave button down shirt, chinos and a tie. I did not feel under or over dressed. Guys seem to wear what they believe are appropriate or feel most comfortable in.

There were plenty very dressed up even a guy in a tux and enough semi dressed up.

I just think given the fact that it is a very nice restaurant it's nice to make an effort.

The restaurant and experience was fabulous

Any more questions please let me know.

Thanks - I think we'll go with the shirt and tie with khakis (nice "special occasion use" Dockers, vs. everyday Dockers).

Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar
I don't know why you would say "except the suit." Although a suit is not required, a suit is certainly appropriate for those who wish to wear one.

DCL recommends a jacket for men. DCL asks that no shorts or jeans be worn (and they enforce that, at least on the Magic). In other words, it's a dressy place -- dressier than the regular dining rooms on casual nights -- but not formal (except on formal night on the Magic). Some guest at Palo will be very dressed up, others less so. Dress in the spirit of "dressy," and you'll be fine. ("Polo shirt & khakis" would seem underdressed for dinner at Palo.)

A blazer or other sport coat is a useful garment for a man to bring. It turns casual attire into something dressier, without having to bring a suit and dress shoes.

I meant to say you can wear everything that she said, except you do not have to wear a suit to eat there. So a little less packing.

I wore Khakis and a short sleave shirt. No Tie. (what are those ;) )
and was still very welcome at Palos.

Never feel guilty and out of place if this is what you wear. Enjoy your company and your meal. You will be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter