Palo Brunch too stuffy for a country boy?

maria's_mommy

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to talk DH into going to Palo brunch but he tends to shy away from formal, stuffy, intimidating environments. Would he have an issue at brunch? I can just see him not even hardly eating anything. I've read of people saying the server was haute but are most friendly? And do most people make more than one trip to the buffet? Some of the plates I've seen pics of people have fixed only have like 5 bites ;)

I'm trying to talk DH into going to Palo brunch but he tends to shy away from formal, stuffy, intimidating environments. Would he have an issue at brunch? I can just see him not even hardly eating anything. I've read of people saying the server was haute but are most friendly? And do most people make more than one trip to the buffet? Some of the plates I've seen pics of people have fixed only have like 5 bites ;)

I can't really judge from a short description whether your DH would be comfortable or not. It is a more formal atmosphere than the MDRs, but I've always found the servers to be very friendly and accommodating. Maybe have him look at pictures from the brunch online and see what he thinks?

Most people definitely make more than one trip to the buffet. I always make at least 2 and sometimes 3 just because there are so many different foods I want to try. I only take a small portion to start, but will get more of something on my next trip if I really like it. Plus, you order certain entrees from the kitchen, like the chicken parm and the pizzas.

I convinced DH to attend brunch by telling him he could get his sunny side up eggs and he wouldn't have to eat the "fancy" foods
if he didn't want to. We were with other couples and I wanted to enjoy their company too. It worked out OK.

The servers we have had in Palo have been great (with only one exception). In our experience, most of the servers are very friendly and will put you at ease.
My husband is a very picky eater but he loves the Palo brunch.
He eats very little off the actual buffet (the cinnamon rolls and maybe a muffin). He likes the lasagna and pizza. He sometimes orders the pancakes (plain with syrup).
I usually make 3 trips to the buffet. I get small portions but I like to get a little of everything! And one trip is just for desserts.

I wouldn't worry too much. Palo is nice and the buffet is a bit more fancy than what you'd get at Cabanas but nothing that would make you uncomfortable. And the waiters are friendly.

Also, you'll be familiar with most of the food from the buffet and the menu.

Based on the your description of your DH, I would skip it. There are plenty of good things to eat at the regular buffet.

MUN

My Palo server on our recent cruise was very personable and unpretentious, yet still extremely knowledgable about the food. It's not an intimidating atmosphere at all. I'm not a huge eater, but was nevertheless encouraged to get just as much as I wanted from the buffet- they always wanted me to take more, so he shouldn't be shy about taking more. I recommend he go- he'll probably really like it. Palo is relaxing and peaceful, not stuffy.

The country guy who married one of our nieces was concerned he wouldn't "fit in" with all the snobs on a cruise. I could have pointed out that his mother-in-law (and her daughters) were some of the biggest snobs I've ever met, and since he could get along with them, he could get along with anyone. But I refrained and just told him he'd be fine, and he was. Some people just have misconceptions about things they haven't tried, and need to be reassured to "try it, you'll like it." Another example would be the DDIL who was afraid her kids would fall overboard on a cruise. She soon realized her fears were unfounded.

The country guy who married one of our nieces was concerned he wouldn't "fit in" with all the snobs on a cruise. I could have pointed out that his mother-in-law (and her daughters) were some of the biggest snobs I've ever met, and since he could get along with them, he could get along with anyone. But I refrained and just told him he'd be fine, and he was. Some people just have misconceptions about things they haven't tried, and need to be reassured to "try it, you'll like it." Another example would be the DDIL who was afraid her kids would fall overboard on a cruise. She soon realized her fears were unfounded.

LOL!!!

He may want to avoid the MDRs too from some of the comments I've read :duck:

I know! The MDRs are not a problem because they are big and loud, you could almost stand on your head and no one would notice. At Palo I think he would feel self- conscious, like everyone's watching him walk up and fix a plate. If that makes sense :).

Thanks everyone! I really want to try it. Maybe if we got the first opening it would be less intimidating?

Thanks everyone! I really want to try it. Maybe if we got the first opening it would be less intimidating?

I think when they open there is more staff standing around, waiting to assist you at the buffet. If it is the staff that would make him uncomfortable I would wait about a half hour. The. The staff is busy and the diners are all busy eating.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the servers all want you to have a good time. They are not their to judge you, but to make your experience enjoyable.

Also, I wore jeans and boots to both Palo meals and felt totally fine. I did have a sport coat on as well, but at least for brunch took it off to eat.

Brunch is far less pretentious than the dinner. We have had good luck with friendly servers at the brunch, not as much as at dinner. Our dinner experiences colored our opinion of Palo. Had we just stuck with dinner I would say it was stuffy and pretentious and went waaaay too long, however, brunch was fantastic and the servers put us at ease.

While dinner at Palo did feel a bit "stuffy" the first time I did it the brunch was actually very casual. It's like any other buffet just a little more organized. You get a tour of all the food stations and you can get up and get food as many times as you want. You just have to order your "main plate" from the waiter. Jeans with no holes and a Polo or collared shirt is all the dressing up he'll need to do. No one really cares about shoes as long as they aren't flip flops or don't look too sporty.

My sister's DH is a country boy- in the MDR's, he usually orders a steak and a baked potato for dinner even when it's not on the menu and on theme nights! He thinks Palo dinner is too frilly and fancy.
BUT.... he LOVES Palo brunch, much to our surprise! He now asks her to make brunch reservations on every cruise, and even whined when he was reminded that they couldn't eat there every morning!
Give it a shot, and if DH doesn't like it, you'll know for next time. And tell him not to be afraid to tell his server what he likes, they'll take good care of him.

If you DH likes food I suggest you go. Palo's brunch is my favorite and I have to admit that before Palo attendants would assist you at the buffet I would probably go to the buffet at least five times but now I only return to the buffet about three times but that's probably because I'm not as good as the attendants are with stacking the food on my plate. The servers are very friendly and are more attentive than your MDR servers but that is to be expected. I think your DH should go because when will you have another opportunity to go again? Take advantage of everything you can while you are on your cruise (shows, character meets, ship tours, etc).

We found the atmosphere very comfortable for both brunch and dinner at Palo's, but preferred the food at dinner. And, fwiw, DH wore his 'nice' cowboy boots to both!

Our Palo servers have ranged from mildly friendly(normal waiter type), to very friendly, even sitting down and posing for pictures with us.

I'm one of those people who does not like my food touching so I do make 2-3 trips up to the buffet for separate plates. ;) I am also a plain eater, and do not like overly fancy food (I would never do Remy) but I will say the food at Palo brunch is the best food on the cruise. I don't eat any of the seafood, but the pastries, pizza, chicken parm, lasagna, mozzarella, and of course desserts, are all wonderful.

If you get a window seat and spend the meal looking out at the ocean, you will hardly notice whats going on around you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter