Painting ceilings--white or wall color?

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
We need to repaint pretty much the entire interior of our house. We are trying to decide whether to paint the ceilings the traditional white or just paint them the same as the base color of the walls. It seems like it would be much easier to use the same color for everything, but I'm not sure if that is less desired than the white ceilings. We aren't planning to sell anytime soon, but you never know.

Thanks!

I hate ceilings the same color as the walls, to me it looks like a big cave with furniture. I would either do white, or a lighter shade than the color thats going to be on the wall.

My parents house is an open concept. The kitchen, dining room and living room are all connected with a chimny in the middle of the room. They also have a vaulted ceiling. What they did was paint the walls to the point where it started to bend and lead into the ceiling with one color and then paint the "ceiling" with the shade lighter from the same color palette. It looks great!

I hate ceilings the same color as the walls, to me it looks like a big cave with furniture. I would either do white, or a lighter shade than the color thats going to be on the wall.

This. A lighter shade than what is on the wall will look nice.

All of our ceilings are a lighter shade of the wall color or a neutral in the case of our dining room which has deep green walls. I LOVE the look. It makes everything much more homey and comfortable-at least with our decor. Now, if I had white trim and pastels on the walls, I would go with a white ceiling.

Her is the bump out in our kitchen where you can see the wall color and ceiling color:

DSCI0165.jpg

Thanks, everyone! I do like the look of the lighter shade for the ceiling. Now I have to commit to color and then just do it.

All of our ceilings are a lighter shade of the wall color or a neutral in the case of our dining room which has deep green walls. I LOVE the look. It makes everything much more homey and comfortable-at least with our decor. Now, if I had white trim and pastels on the walls, I would go with a white ceiling.

Her is the bump out in our kitchen where you can see the wall color and ceiling color:

DSCI0165.jpg

Are those wood cornices with fabric overlay???? I love the style!!!

Yes, and thanks. The one on the door is especially cool as it is hinged and opens and closes with the door :thumbsup2.

I love the style also!:thumbsup2

Now when painting a ceiling go with a flat color.The reason I say this is if there is any inperfections on how the drywall was finished,it will show up with semi gloss or gloss.Flat hides alot.

Yes, and thanks. The one on the door is especially cool as it is hinged and opens and closes with the door :thumbsup2.

Very attractive, golfgal! Love it! :thumbsup2

When we first moved into our house, we painted the wall and ceiling color exactly the same. It looked horrible because we have very low ceilings and it really did give the rooms that "cave" look. We went to white ceilings and installed white crown molding all around the top and it's a big improvement.

I usually go with a lighter shade that coordinates with the wall color. I really don't like white ceilings so unless there's white in the color scheme for the room I tend to go with a light-neutral (cream, beige) that goes with the room color & furnishings or a paler shade of the wall color itself.

My house is very old and I have 10 ft ceilings. I painted the ceilings two shades darker than the wall color and it brings the ceiling down a bit. I have read that two shades darker make the room look taller so you decide. I do have to say it was easier to paint the ceiling two shades darker than to paint it white because it doesn't show those tiny slip ups like white does. I just wiped the slip with my finger and blended the color a bit.

i agree with all the other PP's, lighter shade of the wall color.

but in my no window, middle of the house, no natural light bathroom...it's BRIGHT yellow and i painted everything that color. it was a pretty ugly bathroom before, now it's cute with it's bright yellow walls and ceiling and green frogs everywhere!

Flat white ceiling paint is the only way to go for a regular room IMO unless you have a cathedral ceilling. Then I'd go with two shades lighter than the walls.

One unexpected advantage to a white ceiling--found this one out the hard way--if you have an extended power outage, you can bounce the light from your flashlights onto the ceiling and get better overall lighting in the entire room. Beats sitting in semi-darkness.

I like a lighter shade of the wall color over a white ceiling. And golfgal, do you mind if I ask what the paint color is in your photo?

I like a lighter shade of the wall color over a white ceiling. And golfgal, do you mind if I ask what the paint color is in your photo?

I was watching HGTV, and I don't remember what show it was (I want to say Genevieve), but they were saying to paint the ceiling a lighter shade of the wall color. In my last house they were white, but in my next house I think I will try the lighter shade of wall color.

The walls are Benjamin Moore "Scarecrow" #1041 and the ceiling is "Stone House" #1039.

I am so glad you said "yes" because I just special ordered this for my family room and kitchen last week from Budget Blinds. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Sorry to hijack the thread about paint color, but I couldn't resist!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter