Paintball gun for 10 year old??

hocksocmom

Earning My Ears
My son wants nothing more than a paintball gun for his 10th birthday next month. Is this an appropriate gift for this age?

Honestly? No, it's not appropriate for a 10 year old. I don't even think most paintball places will allow a 10 year old to play -- typically, paintball players have to be at least 15 or 16 years old to play, I think.

I bought them for my sons when they were ten or eleven. And the parks did let them play. But if you do buy one have a major safety talk and have him be supervised. When you buy it, make sure you get a face mask that has forehead protection and ear protection. Let him know where and when and how it can be used.
Of course it also depends on the maturity of the child.

John-Cole asked for one for his 11th birthday and after much considering and thought we decided that it wasn't a good idea. We don't have parks around here. The kids (mostly teenagers and young adults) go to a Paint Ball Field that they have set up. John-Cole is just not mature enough even at 11 to me...and the older kids and adults are so rough! Maybe in a few years and I think every child is different but they can be sooo dangerous if the kids aren't safe. John-Cole just wasn't ready.

I couldn't see making a purchase like that. We live in a subdivision and I really could foresee trouble!

I would say "no." BF (who is almost 40!) got one a few years ago, he plays with my friends (I'm 6 years younger). I still remember the first time he played, he had some major bruises! And we're talking players that are all mature adults, at least mid-20's and older. One bruise was on his forehead, a huge black and blue, even BF's mother was concerned! (She asked if I beat him up or something.) While the paint in itself is relatively harmless, the guns shoot with an enormous amount of pressure and can hurt a lot, and even moreso if shot in close range.

If you do decide to get him one, make sure he has all the protective gear. BF wears a hat, some of his friends have a hard hat-type thing with a plastic visor that protects the face, and also a protective cup. Also be aware of where he is playing. BF and friends were playing in a State-owned foresty area. They were good, but apparently other people used to go up there and trash the place, and BF and friends almost got in trouble because of it. Now they go to an "official" paintball playing ground.

Both my ds's wanted paintball guns last christmas...they were 9 &12 at the time. They each got one along with the safety equipment...but in no way would we let them go to a paintgun park!!! My dh is a hunter and has land that he can take them to shoot at targets with him...it's a "hunting thing" with my dh as he was raised on a farm and it's also a safety issue with him...he makes sure they are extremly serious about it and they take hunters safety classes with their dad too. I personally would not have gotten them if we didn't have a place they can use them~we live in a surburban neighborhood and there isn't a place to use them at our house and they surely are not going to shoot them in our backyard with their friends around.

To be honest this is a hard one and really depends on the surcumstance...I would rather them NOT have them but in OUR personally case, I guess they do have a place to use them!

Depends on your kids. There are a couple of kids on our street that like to use them on mail boxes and cars.
My son is 9 and so far has been responsible. If he wanted one I might get him one as long as he abides by the rules. First time the rule is broken, in the trash it goes.

Originally posted by JohnTBap
I couldn't see making a purchase like that. We live in a subdivision and I really could foresee trouble!

Same here. The street behind me has some kids with the guns. They shoot up my back yard or shed one more time, I'm getting a paint ball gun and shooting back. I already spoke with one father and he was a jerk. (Actually I told him next time I'm calling the Sheriff)

My DH plays, and he always comes home with big bruises. And that's even though he wears all the protective gear that's available. I wouldn't get one for a child so young. In fact, on a parenting forum I visit, a guy from some paintball association posted one time asking if those of us on the site would allow their kids to play paintball. He listed the age that their organization says is the minimum to play, and I think it was either 12 or 14. DH and I have talked about it, and we think that 16 will probably be more appropriate for our family.

Hi! My nephew has all the gear. He's 12. He tells me there is
a way to keep the pressure down on the guns so no bruising
occurs. He says the parks they go to require it. I don't approve
as I feel it's an incredibly expensive sport for children that age
AND for heaven's sake-it's adult endorsed hunting of humans.
Seen the business that has women scantily clad or not at all
clad hunted with paintball by men who pulll them through the
woods by their hair once "killed or hit" by paintball? Makes me
question which adults are supervising these "parks"- do we know
who they are and will they make the right decisions when keeping our children safe? It will be a cold day in #*!$ before
my 10 year old gets paint ball equipment and uses it at some paintball park. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure about paint ball guns. I don't know enough about it, but what I do know is that it's rough.

On some guns (depending on what you spend) there is a way to turn the pressure down, but it doesn't necessarily eliminate bruising..... just makes it less "damaging". I have a paintball gun (two actually), and enjoy the game VERY much. We play in my brother's woods, so I can't speak to the "paintball parks", but I can tell you that it is an adult's game.
I would say, it REALLY depends on your son. It stings when you get hit, and I've played with kids.... some who are fun to play with and can follow the rules and "take the hits". I've played with others though who can't take the pain, and end up in tears..... also, its EXTREMELY important that they understand the risks..... for example, we have strict rules prohibiting head shots and close range shots.... this is very important because of the nature of the equipment. If he can't understand how important this is and abide by the rules, then I suggest he waits until he can. Does he want it for a particular reason?? Does he have a forum to play in, or is it just for target practice / fun??
To be honest, I don't think kids under 16 are allowed to play in public forums here in Minnesota.... at least they wanted to make that a law..... I know they can't purchase the equipment (at least at the places I've been).
Oh, and one more thing.... the cheaper guns (Walmart specials) shoot slower, softer and less accurately, so if you decide to go with it, that might be the place to start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter