Paint question

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
Yesterday we had a friend come over to help us paint our nursery. I wasn't 100% sure on the color that we had picked, but decided to wait til I saw it on the walls. Well, I don't like it at all. It's a blue color, but too dark and too aqua. DH said that he would prime over it and the we could pick a lighter color. The friend that came to help us said not to prime, but to use the blue color that's already on the walls as the primer. I don't think that would work because adding a light blue to the dark blue walls would make the light blue color darker. Did that make sense? :lmao:

So my question is, do we prime over the blue or just choose a light blue to go over the blue that's already there?

Thanks for your help!

prime, especially if you are going lighter.

prime, especially if you are going lighter.

yes. The lighter color you choose will have to be applied evenly. Without a primer the darker color will/may show through requiring additional coats. The two colors won't blend together like you are thinking.

I'd personally prime the walls and then buy the paint with the primer in it as well to give it a double whammy.

At the very least prime separately.

If your going light blue you want a white primer like, Glidden gripper. Zinsser Bulls eye or the like, I would avoid valspar. Use Benjamin moore , Glidden or Sherwin Williams.

It doesn't matter if you prime or not as in the end its all the same.

1) If you prime you have to prime all the walls and then go light blue over it. You have the cost of the primer and the paint.

2) If you don't prime you will need 2 coats of paint. So you'll need twice the paint.

Either way requires 2 coats.

Once paint is dry it will not mix colors.

Personally I would look into a lighter color and do some kind of sponging on the walls.

This would save time, money and possibly break up the color.

It doesn't matter if you prime or not as in the end its all the same.

1) If you prime you have to prime all the walls and then go light blue over it. You have the cost of the primer and the paint.

2) If you don't prime you will need 2 coats of paint. So you'll need twice the paint.

Either way requires 2 coats.

Once paint is dry it will not mix colors.

Personally I would look into a lighter color and do some kind of sponging on the walls.

This would save time, money and possibly break up the color.

Great points and great idea on the sponging a lighter blue onto the walls

Your husband is right. You need to prime first.

It depends on the quality and type of paint. Did you use a high quality paint like Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, or even Valspar? Is it just a lower end paint from whatever brand you selected, or is it the paint & primer in one? That makes a huge difference.

You will want to do 2 coats of paint most likely unless you're using a super high quality paint where you can usually get away with 1 coat. I personally wouldn't waste time priming the walls unless you are literally going from navy blue to a faint pastel. Do one coat of the color you choose, and if you aren't getting the color depth you want from the new color, do another coat.

I highly suggest buying samples, by the way.

I feel your pain! We just painted our hallway gray, well it's a LOT darker than I thought it would be. Not that I have personal experience, but it reminds me of a jail cell to walk through that hallway! I too was hoping to not have to prime, but we will definitely be using a high quality paint to go over it.

It depends on how much lighter you want to go but i would recommend two coats of paint weather you prime or not.

Paint with primer makes as much sense as combining the wash and rinse cycle on a washing machine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter