Paid for vacation ..+ starting a new job

llrain

<font color=green>Has a one-way ticket to the funn
I posted not too long ago regarding my layoff and what to do about my vacation i had payed for happening in October.

Now i have a new delima. I may be landing a new job that involves heacy training and, though i havent asked, i know they
start their training sessions in the fall and spring.

I have a feeling that this fall class will be when the vacation is.
I have read alot about negotiating a paid vacation with a prespective employer but if the fall is the only time this is gonna happen then i need to re figure how i am gonna ask and see if this can happen....
One thing that is rough is that its a 11 day vacation ( already thinking of mentioned that i can trim it)... I really dont want to have to cancel so im looking for negotiation aspects.

Any ideas?

This has happened to me, planned vacation new job. I just tell them up front that I have a vacation planned and paid for, they said " no problem" enjoy. Of course, it was not paid vacation time, which was ok with me. :)

Don't offer to trim unless it is totally necessary, you need to save some room for negotiations.

So Gail....just out of curiousity.....how much time off was involved?
Our trip is for 11 days and i would like to ask them if all 11 days was ok..but i dont want to be greedy....I honestly donot mind at all what so ever if i am paid or not...I just still want to go for the full trip.... thanks for the encouraging response...

I did two weeks off from my new job last spring. I took it as leave without pay and I let them know upfront about it.

However, I did not miss training for my job and if the training is only offered twice a year for this job AND you have to have the training I am not sure that you are in a good position here.

Five years ago I took a two-week vacation five weeks after starting a new job. I made it one my conditions of employment. I didn't mention it until I was offered the job, of course. At that job you accrued PTO immediately and I think I got paid for one day.

I switched jobs earlier this year and the only sticking point in our negotiations -- it's a nonprofit and I knew I couldn't get more $ -- was vacation. I was only offered only two weeks b/c our office is closed already (doesn't count as vacation) during most school holidays other than summer. I wanted three, though, b/c my dh has worked at the same place for years and has a lot of vacation. It's strange that I'm the only one in the office with an extra week of vacation, but I sure don't regret having it!

Originally posted by llrain
So Gail....just out of curiousity.....how much time off was involved?
Our trip is for 11 days and i would like to ask them if all 11 days was ok..but i dont want to be greedy....I honestly donot mind at all what so ever if i am paid or not...I just still want to go for the full trip.... thanks for the encouraging response...

Mine was a total of 9 days. There simply was no problem. I did hold the "cutting back" as a trump card. NEVER put all your cards on the table at once. :) I was just totally upfront about it all.

It was going to be her honeymoon! Of course, this was not a problem for me because I was happy to find such a wonderful employee. Times are harder now, so I don't know if a new employee has as much bargaining room as they used to. I would wait until I was offered the position, then I would bring up the vacation. Be apologetic and excited about beginning the new job. The training may be a problem, though.

I did this last year. I had a 9 day trip planned. I was up front about it and they were great. I actually got paid for part of the time off.

If the company wants you, they will let you take your vacation. And if they balk at it, then that could be an indicator of what type of employer they might be.

I assume the job is more important than the vacation. Wait until AFTER ob offer. No reason to insert anything into the interview process that would make them reluctant to offer the position. After you accept, mention the vacation and ask if there is any problem. If they balk, mention that you could trim the vacation if necessary but that you're going to lose $$ on it . If it's really an issue, take the job and reschedule the vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter