Packing with ziploc bags

Kristian

Mouseketeer
Since I can't sleep, I decided to go ahead and do some packing for our trip!! I've got dd (3) all packed and everything is in ziploc bags for each day. I started packing for myself and decided to use ziploc bags as well, but i'm afraid that a gallon size bag is too small for a whole outfit...its a really tight fit. I know I could move up to a bigger bag, but I just want to get it done tonight :rotfl: For anyone that uses ziploc bags for the adult clothes, how do you use them? Do you just make things fit? Am I missing something? I'm packing mostly capris, which means more material, so that might make a difference. I just resulted to putting around 3-4 t-shirts per bag. Its not a huge deal, just thought i'd ask :)

We used the ziplock for bathing suits, socks, underwear, bras. Than we have the compression bags that we use for shorts, t-shirts and the like.

IF you are good and get all the air out of the ziplock bags, you can pack those in the compression bags. Usually each person gets one bag.

I pack all of DS's clothes in zip locks, but have never managed to fit my clothes. Although you wouldn't be able to see the items you could use plastic grocery bags and then label the outside of the bag.

Tip: When you get home and unpack leave the zip locks in your suitcase, so that they are there to use next time. I've been using the same baggies for several vacations.

This may seem a silly question.....but I have never heard of packing with ziploc bags.....does it give extra space in the suitcase?

This may seem a silly question.....but I have never heard of packing with ziploc bags.....does it give extra space in the suitcase?

extra space and it gives my DH the ability the dress the kids while im getting ready lol. I label each bag with the kids names and park and either a 1 or 2. 1 means its the outfit for the morning and 2 means it goes in the diaper bag as a backup for the parks.

I havent been able to fit all my outfits in them though. I just do socks and bathingsuits etc. I did buy 2 gallon ziplocks the other day for DS school and the would definitely fit my daily outfit. pricey at $5 a box.

Oh, this trick has several high points. Especially for kids. If you pack an entire outfit in a bag, you can keep better track of what you have packed, they help with suitcase space, and they make getting dressed in the mornings easier.

I pack in ziploc bags b/c I don't want the TA rifling through my clean clothes after he just touched someone else's dirty cloths. :sick:

This last trip I just packed everything into huge compression bags. I wasn't able to group by days as well, but it still kept everything clean.

I pack my stuff in Ziplock bags too, but I use the 2 1/2 gallon size bags.

maux.

I packed my kids clothes in ziplocks this summer. I could barely fit DS's clothes in the 1 gallon (cargo shorts, T-Shirt, and underwear in each bag). He is 9 years old and only weighs 52 pounds (kids M shirts and 8 shorts), so I would think adult sized clothes would be a very tight squeeze for the 1 gallon sized bags.

I packed the kids clothes in the bags by outfit, so I would be able to just hand them the bag and tell them to get dressed each day. In my suitcase, I just packed my clothes in order of when I would wear them. I didn't use ziplocks for myself, but my purpose was not to save space. I just did it for the organization and ease of getting the children their clothes.

I ordered packing bags called Pack Mates years ago on QVC. The kit had large size bags to fit adult clothes. With these bags, you rolled out the air to squish everything down. Just used them on our latest trip and they worked great. Don't know if they still have them on QVC but I'm sure you could find something similar online.

I ordered packing bags called Pack Mates years ago on QVC. The kit had large size bags to fit adult clothes. With these bags, you rolled out the air to squish everything down. Just used them on our latest trip and they worked great. Don't know if they still have them on QVC but I'm sure you could find something similar online.

My MIL has the bags that you use the vacuum to remove the air and she swears by them. She gave me a few to use but I wasn't as impressed, however my vacuum at the time wasn't top notch either, so that might have made a difference.

I pack my stuff in Ziplock bags too, but I use the 2 1/2 gallon size bags.

maux.

I might just go ahead and pick up some 2 1/2 gallon bags because the 1 gallon bags just aren't happening for the bottoms. I just wanted some advice because I was anxious to get my packing done and I only had the 1 gallon on hand, but I really like the idea of everything being in a bag. I probably won't put the clothes together in bags as outfits simply because i've packed things that can be mixed and matched.

I use the 2 1/2 gallon bags and I can put two of my outfits in each bag. 2 shorts, 2 tank tops, 2 pairs of underwear and 1 bra. I really like packing that way but my husband doesn't. He's not going this trip so I pack my way. :thumbsup2

I use the 2 1/2 gallon bags. All 3 kids' clothes for a day in one bag and my husband and my clothes in another bag. Has worked for the past few trips.

I pack in ziploc bags b/c I don't want the TA rifling through my clean clothes after he just touched someone else's dirty cloths. :sick:

This last trip I just packed everything into huge compression bags. I wasn't able to group by days as well, but it still kept everything clean.

This is a really good reason, but I'm actually surprised that TSA wouldn't open the bags. And ugh, hate to think what they'd do if the opened a compression bag!

I packed with ziplocks for the first time in April, after reading the tip on here.
I only did it for DD. It made getting her dressed in the morning so much easier. I would just tell DH to grab a bag and put everything in it on her!.

All of our shirts are on hangers in suit bags and we just pack them like that and then hang them up when we arrive. Matching up shorts/socks and hair bows for my children (minus the hair bows for my sons LOL) in ziplocks sound great. Definitely going to try that, have to add another box of ziplocks to my shopping list LOL.

I just started using the packing cubes from e-bags. They come in a variety of colors and sizes, and right now I believe they are 20% off. I love them. So much easier that the ziplock bags (for me), but I'm not packing for small children. There is a thread about them on the budget board somewhere.

I have always packed in ziplock bags, as long as they have been available.

In the scene, in the original Austin Powers movie, when Vanessa opens her luggage and everything is marked in their individual bags, my entire group in the movie theater turned and looked at me!:lmao:

I prefer the Ziplock bags that have the handles on the top. They are the same volume as the 2.5 gallon bags, but a bit stronger, better for reusing.

I also like the packing cubes from Ebags. Very handy and last forever.

Rolling your tshirts will give you more packing power in each bag.

I have always packed in ziplock bags, as long as they have been available.

In the scene, in the original Austin Powers movie, when Vanessa opens her luggage and everything is marked in their individual bags, my entire group in the movie theater turned and looked at me!:lmao:

I prefer the Ziplock bags that have the handles on the top. They are the same volume as the 2.5 gallon bags, but a bit stronger, better for reusing.

I also like the packing cubes from Ebags. Very handy and last forever.

Rolling your tshirts will give you more packing power in each bag.

:thumbsup2

I rolled the t-shirts and I think I fit around 4-5 in each bag. This is for my packing of course, dd's clothes are all matched up and there is an outfit in each bag..this way dh can dress her in the mornings without asking where her underwear is, what bottom matches what top, etc. I haven't added dd's hairbows to the bags yet because I was afraid that I would need one before our trip..considering that I packed dd weeks ago :lmao:.

I am actually thinking about doing ziploc bag's when dd starts school next year. I think I am going to put together 5 outfits each week and then put them in ziploc bags (underwear, socks, and hairbows included) so that our mornings run smoothly. I'll do the bags every Sunday night, that way i'm set for the week. I'm just trying to minimize my time and this would make my life easier to say the least :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter