Packing sunscreen?

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
We are flying to Orlando next week. As we are packing, my daughter reminded me of the 3-oz rule for carry-on luggage. We were not planning to check any of our bags. But we need more than 3 oz of sunscreen!!

Should we give in and check our bags? (which seems silly to do, just because of sunscreen!)

Or is sunscreen cheap enough to just purchase upon arrive at WDW?

Is the spray sunscreen allowed in larger quantities?

You could ship some to your resort from Amazon. We plan on having each person take a small 3oz limit amount in their carry on for the first day till we get our luggage.

We have some travel sized lotion in our 3-1-1 bag, but we also found a stick one that is under the 3 ounces but should work well on faces and shoulders...if you are not checking a bag maybe that kind would work?

It won't be cheap to purchase there unless you can somehow get to a regular store. More later on how I know that. :headache:

We also usually have a travel size tube for the first day because we know we might want to hit a park before our luggage arrives. Since you aren't checking luggage, ordering from Amazon and having it shipped unless you have a grocery order you can add it to should work. They have some reasonably priced on their site. Saw a 12 oz bottle of Banana Boat Sport for just under $10. I paid that for a 2.5 oz bottle in 2011 when we got to the park and I realized I'd left ours in the room. :mad: Still cringing over that one almost 4 years later; but it would just have taken too long to go back for it.

I bought Neutrogena Sunscreen Beach Defense in a stick. It looks like deodorant, not the little tubes that look like chapstick. It is under 3 ozs.

Keep in mind checked bag fees....it may be cheaper to buy it there than to check a bag.

We use Badger which is a quality natural brand and it comes in 2.9oz tubes. It is really thick so you only need a very small amount - one tube lasts me almost all summer. It is more to buy up front but since you use so little it goes a really long way. We use the Elemental Herbs stick for faces (the stick is only .6oz) and while it doesn't last as long (we go through 2-3 tubes in the summer) it works well and would fit in a carry-on.

We bought it at the grocery delivery service (Garden Grocer?) and had it delivered to our room along with a few other things we couldn't carry on (a case of bottled water, and a couple other larger toiletry items if I remember right).

Maybe you could pick it up at a shop at MCO after you land - it might be cheaper than getting it at the resort store. It's not crazy expensive there either, but yes, definitely more than getting it back home.

The travel size section at target has many brand options (even generic) I would buy a couple for each person's bag plus some sunscreen sticks. Last summer while traveling, I was also happy to notice that my neutrogena age-shield face was 3 oz. This summer I have been wearing more UPF shirts (athleta has some cute styles) It cuts down on the amount of sunscreen I use, and more importantly is constant coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter