Packing question

jimilla

Mouseketeer
I was in Costco last night and saw these so called space-saving bags. They have kind of a valve and you can suck the air out - allowing you to pack twice as much in the same space.

So has anyone ever used any of these? Do they really work - or should I just pass?

Thanks

:earsboy:

I personally pay a lot less money for the giant size (2 1/2 gallon) zipper bags by Hefty or Ziplock. I put each childs socks, underwear, tees, etc. in their own bag.

You have to be careful. The bags do work, but since you can fit much more in a suitcase with them, it's that much quicker to exceed the airline's limits on weight. Most airlines now hafe a steep fee for overweight bags.

My husband uses something similar and always manages to get in twice his suitcase what I get...and he never fails to mention it! lol

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!
Don't get them. I bought them and put all my clothes in them to see how it would fit in the luggage then took them all out to see if my clothes would be wrinkled..... and sure enough they were extreamly wrinkled. Someone told me to roll your clothes first then put them in the bags before you let the air out. I sounded like to much trouble to me so I just rolled my clothes from now on without the bags.

I do the same as minimouse43...!! I roll all my clothes .It is a spacesaver as well as a wrinkle saver!I have been doing that for years.. :D

I got a great deal on a set. I LOVED them for my last cruise.

I had the kind where you could roll out the air, not suck out the air.

I roll my clothes up, stack them in the back, zip it up and roll/squeeze out the air.

I also used this for bringing my favorite pillow along. I can not sleep without it and it worked great for something "fluffy"

LisaCA

I did not use them going TO the cruise, because of the wrinkles, but I brought them along...and on the way home, I got ALL the laundry into the 4 I got in a pack from Sears - not the vaccuum type, the roll it out type. AND they kept everything dry as the suits were still wet from Castaway Cay by the time we had to pack for 11pm the last night! I was shocked at how they worked...it gave us the needed room on the way home for things we bought to fit in.

We used them on our last cruise. Space saving - yes, wrinkle creating - yes, would I do it again - yeah.
It's not like it all looked like it had been stuck in the back of the dresser draw for weeks wrinkled, but tees and shorts had quite a few in them. If you don't mind your really casual clothes a little wrinkly, I highly recommend them. If you don't want to have to iron your dinner clothes, don't use them.
And as The4OfUs stated, gives you lots of room on the way back for souvies. :)

I wouldn't buy them, but I've gotten some for free from credit card deals, etc. We have extra blankets stored in the jumbo ones, but imo they aren't the sturdiest things in the world. I am a big fan of packing using ziplocks! They basically work the same way, just leave a little opening in the zipper, squeeze out the air, then slide the zipper shut.

If wrinkles are a concern, the wrinkle release spray by Downey works wonders. We used it on both cruises!

Originally posted by CRB#33
I personally pay a lot less money for the giant size (2 1/2 gallon) zipper bags by Hefty or Ziplock. I put each childs socks, underwear, tees, etc. in their own bag.

I also use zipper bags and put there whole outfit in. That way not only does it save room packing but I can just toss them a bag and they can get dressed.... 6 trips doing it and it works like a charm..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter